Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

The article completely ignores the question, though.

And at the risk of the pc language police jumping on me, in what sense is Tom Daley having a baby with his husband?

I'm guessing the article ignores the question because Daley and his husband haven't shared any more details?

Just saw this quote from the Mail on-line article who sound like they're also guessing.. 

"The ultrasound picture suggests the couple are using a surrogate mother to become parents, rather than adopting."

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm guessing the article ignores the question because Daley and his husband haven't shared any more details?

Just saw this quote from the Mail on-line article who sound like they're also guessing.. 

"The ultrasound picture suggests the couple are using a surrogate mother to become parents, rather than adopting."

So, to repeat myself - in what sense is Tom Daley and his husband 'having a baby'?

1 minute ago, Buce said:

So, to repeat myself - in what sense is Tom Daley and his husband 'having a baby'?

You're asking the wrong man here mate :D

I know exactly what you mean though. Maybe someone can enlighten us both?

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You're asking the wrong man here mate :D

I know exactly what you mean though. Maybe someone can enlighten us both?

Oh, undoubtedly they will, mate.

Suddenly I'm feeling very old... :nono:

• Like 1

Not sure if this is making news over yonder, but our deputy PM and leader of the National Party (a conservative farmers type party) is currently under pressure for leaving his wife of 25 years, to be with his new 30 year old girlfriend...oh, who happens to be carrying his baby, oh and this is the man who didnt want Equal marriage because it goes against the meaning of marriage, oh, also the fella that wanted to prevent the supply of Gardasil (a cancer preventing drug for women) because it would encourage promiscuity lollollol 

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/senior-government-figures-abandon-barnaby-joyce-saying-his-position-untenable/news-story/22c26ed711fc7c6cfa2819a95143f88d

Oh also, he was recently kicked out of parliament because he was a Kiwi and hadnt renounced his Kiwi citizenship.

But heyho, politics is allll goooood

edit...

oh, he also got her an unadvertised job paying $190,000 per year in another ministers office

oh and he claimed living in Canberra expenses of 50 nights when other ministers only had around 30 nights

oh and he is now living rent free at the spare home of a mining millionaire and friend of the national party...

:)

Edited by ozleicester

27 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Daley was in hospital for a bit last year, for some unknown reason, with the reason being perhaps he was 'most involved'?..

Tom-Daley.jpg

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Adoption?

It's how a lot of couples have children

Yeah, I considered that, but he's showing an ultrasound picture.

To be clear, I'm not questioning the legitimacy of gay couples being parents, just the ambiguous semantics of the article.

41 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You don’t generally have an ultrasound picture with adoption.

The world continues to change.

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yeah, I considered that, but he's showing an ultrasound picture.

To be clear, I'm not questioning the legitimacy of gay couples being parents, just the ambiguous semantics of the article.

The fact that the media "covers" such "events" is significant.

11 minutes ago, Buce said:

Of what?

that our media is shit...but it just reflects our societal desire.....

right now im watching the news...

Lead story......... 17 killed in usa - (horrific and valid)

2nd story....... PM bans ministers from having affairs with staff -  #bonkban - (absurd and inane)

13 minutes in...... see the cancer survivor who made a catch at the 20/20 - (FFS!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

that our media is shit...but it just reflects our societal desire.....

right now im watching the news...

Lead story......... 17 killed in usa - (horrific and valid)

2nd story....... PM bans ministers from having affairs with staff -  #bonkban - (absurd and inane)

13 minutes in...... see the cancer survivor who made a catch at the 20/20 - (FFS!)

I think it goes beyond reflecting our 'societal desire' - as often as not it is actually trying to influence what our societal desire should be. Take, for example, the British Royals. I don't know what kind of reporting you get down under, but here in the UK we are saturated with 'news' about them. It is literally daily. Some recent examples of such 'news': Prince William changes his hairstyle; Prince Harry and his fiance go on a day trip to a castle; one of the Queen's corgis in unwell.

The media is controlled by the establishment and as such reflects their agenda.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I think it goes beyond reflecting our 'societal desire' - as often as not it is actually trying to influence what our societal desire should be. Take, for example, the British Royals. I don't know what kind of reporting you get down under, but here in the UK we are saturated with 'news' about them. It is literally daily. Some recent examples of such 'news': Prince William changes his hairstyle; Prince Harry and his fiance go on a day trip to a castle; one of the Queen's corgis in unwell.

The media is controlled by the establishment and as such reflects their agenda.

They report about the Royals because people actually do want to hear about it, not myself, but it is popular - just look at the viewing figures any show about them gets on TV.

I noticed a while ago whenever there is any sort of "royal pull-out" in the MoS if you haven't got to the shop by 9am they'll usually have sold out, it baffles me but people do lap it up.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

They report about the Royals because people actually do want to hear about it, not myself, but it is popular - just look at the viewing figures any show about them gets on TV.

I noticed a while ago whenever there is any sort of "royal pull-out" in the MoS if you haven't got to the shop by 9am they'll usually have sold out, it baffles me but people do lap it up.

It's something I thought would gradually die out with the older generations but the wedding shattered that view, suddenly found myself the only member of my immediate family who wasn't losing their shit over it and I can't say they ever seemed all that royalist before. Dunno what it is about weddings and babies but they really seem to short circuit a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's something I thought would gradually die out with the older generations but the wedding shattered that view, suddenly found myself the only member of my immediate family who wasn't losing their shit over it and I can't say they ever seemed all that royalist before. Dunno what it is about weddings and babies but they really seem to short circuit a lot of people.

I got to be honest I absolutely love the pomp and circumstance of it all, spine tingling at times, no one does it like we do and it is great seeing the publiciity it generates for the country across the World in a positive light.

49 minutes ago, MattP said:

41 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

37 minutes ago, MattP said:

I got to be honest I absolutely love the pomp and circumstance of it all, spine tingling at times, no one does it like we do and it is great seeing the publiciity it generates for the country across the World in a positive light.

Kind of makes my point really.

Like all celebrity culture, it's a modern day version of opium for the masses, and like real opium, the more you get the more you want.

• Like 1