Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

Guest MattP

Boris Becker becomes an African diplomat to avoid paying his debts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44489798

Former tennis champion Boris Becker is claiming diplomatic immunity against an attempt to sue him.

The three-time Wimbledon winner claims his appointment as a diplomat by the Central African Republic (CAR) affords him protection from any legal claims.

Mr Becker was declared bankrupt in 2017 over money owed to private bank Arbuthnot Latham. He is now being pursued for "further assets".

The conflict-ridden CAR is one of the world's poorest countries.

It made Mr Becker a sport and culture attache to the EU in April 2018.

Skip Twitter post by @TheBorisBecker

End of Twitter post by @TheBorisBecker

Mr Becker's defence has been lodged in the High Court.

His legal team said: "This means he cannot be subject to legal process in the courts of any country for so long as he remains a recognised diplomatic agent."

The former tennis champion said the proceedings were "unjustified and unjust" and being declared bankrupt "inflicted a whole heap of damage on me".

He said he was asserting diplomatic immunity to "bring this farce to an end" and stop "the gravy train for the suits".

He added: "I am immensely proud of my appointment [by] the Central African Republic...sport is incredibly important in Africa and is fast becoming a universal language."

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

why?

Because homophobes think that gay parents don't make good parents.

Though tbh the same folks tend to look down their noses at single parents too so they're not entirely singularly discriminatory. Nothing but the classical 1950s nuclear family for them.

Edited by leicsmac

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Though tbh the same folks tend to look down their noses at single parents too so they're not entirely singularly discriminatory. Nothing but the classical 1950s nuclear family for them.

What if they're foreign?

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Careful Mac, that's a big generalisation. I'm sure there are many people who are against same sex couples having kids but have huge empathy with single parents.

Maybe people are thinking of the impact on the child being born and growing up with same sex parents. These kids may find it tough at school and be singled out as not coming from a traditional marriage and having a 'normal' mummy and daddy.

No doubt they will be loved equally as much but there is a school of thought that what the likes of Daly and his partner, Elton John and his partner etc. have done is selfish.

I'll let @DANGEROUS TIGER answer for himself though...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Careful Mac, that's a big generalisation. I'm sure there are many people who are against same sex couples having kids but have huge empathy with single parents.

Maybe people are thinking of the impact on the child being born and growing up with same sex parents. These kids may find it tough at school and be singled out as not coming from a traditional marriage and having a 'normal' mummy and daddy.

No doubt they will be loved equally as much but there is a school of thought that what the likes of Daly and his partner, Elton John and his partner etc. have done is selfish.

You a bit bored with the Croatia/Denmark game too Muzzett ? ...     :)

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

You a bit bored with the Croatia/Denmark game too Muzzett ? ...     :)

:D

It's a crock of shit mate ain't it? Neither of them will scare England if we progress :thumbup:

I don't buy it I'm afraid.

two loving people of any sex bringing up a child is more than many children are fortunate to have across the world. 

plenty of 'normal' (male/female) parents neglect and abuse their kids.

thankfully as the world becomes more accepting and people who hold these archaic 'traditional' views die off; things like homophobia will die out and people will accept people of the same gender having kids together as a normal thing.

things like kids picking on kids about it at school will only continue whilst their grandparents and parents continue to fill their head with ideas that it's not normal.

kids shouldn't be taught rules about who is allowed to love who - they should be taught that anyone can love anyone. 

with progressive forward thinking like that the world will eventually be a better place - with more love in it.

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

That's fair enough, there's much less of a stigma on single parents than there was. However I would still posit that those folks who look down their noses at single parents also look down their noses at gay parents.

The "won't someone think of the children" argument doesn't hold much water for me tbh - it's possible kids of gay parents may well come in for more flak at school (thanks largely to, you've guessed it, learned views from parents) but it's a rare kid of any parents that doesn't come in for some kind of flak there and as such that alone isn't a good enough reason IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I don't buy it I'm afraid.

two loving people of any sex bringing up a child is more than many children are fortunate to have across the world. 

plenty of same sex parents neglect and abuse their kids.

thankfully as the world becomes more accepting and people who hold these archaic 'traditional' views die off; things like homophobia will die out and people will accept people of the same gender having kids together as a normal thing.

things like kids picking on kids about it at school will only continue whilst their grandparents and parents continue to fill their head with ideas that it's not normal.

kids shouldn't be taught rules about who is allowed to love who - they should be taught that anyone can love anyone. 

with progressive forward thinking like that the world will eventually be a better place - with more love in it.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's fair enough, there's much less of a stigma on single parents than there was. However I would still posit that those folks who look down their noses at single parents also look down their noses at gay parents.

The "won't someone think of the children" argument doesn't hold much water for me tbh - it's possible kids of gay parents may well come in for more flak at school (thanks largely to, you've guessed it, learned views from parents) but it's a rare kid of any parents that doesn't come in for some kind of flak there and as such that alone isn't a good enough reason IMO.

Great posts fellas. I’m with you both - yet I fear many still aren’t...

• Like 2

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Great posts fellas. I’m with you both - yet I fear many still aren’t...

thanks Izzy. I made a typo in my original post on line three but corrected it since you quoted.

it makes my whole post look terribly contradictive ffs lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

One of the UK's most wanted criminals has been apprehended in Switzerland. Fraudster Mark Acklom, 45, awaits extradition:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/03/one-britains-wanted-men-mark-acklom-arrested-switzerland-7678675/

Probably thought they had no extradition treaty as they’re so neutral. Poor sod was lied to.