Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Victory pub to be demolished to make way for more parking at Leicester Royal Infirmary

I've had some great pre/post match drinks, celebrations and crying in my beer in there. Another small slice of supporting LCFC disappears.

An empty pub is being demolished to make way for more hospital parking.

Bosses at Leicester Royal Infirmary are planningicon1.png to knock down the former Victory pub, in Aylestone Road, in a bid to cut the queue of cars trying to get to the hospital.

• ​4398912.jpg
    The empty Victory Pub in Welford Road, Leicester

It comes as officials admit there are serious problems at peak times with cars queuing the length of Havelock Street and Jarrom Street as patients wait to park.

Health campaigners have welcomed the move but the Leicester Civic Society has criticised the plan.

Nigel Bond, head of facilities at Leicester's hospitals, said: "We recognise parking is a major problem for patients and visitorsicon1.png to the infirmary.

"In the short-term, we are looking at demolishing the Victory pub, which we own, to make way for public parking.

"We are hoping this will be done by the end of March.

"We are also looking to see if we can move people out of the Knighton Street outpatients building and demolish that to create extra capacityicon1.png.

"We are not sure of the exact numbers but it could give us about 50 more spaces which is quite a significant proportion on top of the 400 we have."

Mr Bondicon1.png said longer term plans being considered include provision of a multi-storey car park.

This might be on the infirmary site or renting spaces if a multi-storey car park is built at Leicester Tigers' Welford Road ground.

Mr Bond said: "We hope a long-term solution is only a couple of years away.

"We are also looking at moving some outpatient services away from the infirmary site and closer to people's homes.

"In the meantime, we acknowledge it can be a real difficulty for patients getting into our car park and it can take an hour.

"Recently, it has been made more difficult than usual as a nearby private car park was closed for resurfacing and Mill Lane has been pedestrianised, which has led to more traffic near the infirmary.

"We are confident we will be able to resolve the problem."

Stuart Bailey, chairman of the Leicester Civic Society, said: "The Victory is not on the list of buildings of local interest, so there is nothing we can do to keep it.

"However, it is a big disappointment. This building, along with The Pride of Leicester pub on the opposite corner, which was demolished two years ago, formed an attractive visual site.

"For both to be replaced with an iron fence and parked cars is extremely unattractive."

However, health campaigner Zuffar Haq, from the Leicester Mercury Patients' Panel, welcomed the plan.

He said: "It is good news there will be more parking for patients.

"There is a particular problem about the lack of disabled spaces and I hope this will be addressed as soon as possible."

Will be a shame I'll admit. Remember as a kid going there before a game. However, it has sat there for a few years without any hint of someone taking it over.

What I will say is that if they can sort the car parking issue, surely those SAG concerns about Tigers/City playing at the same time (or day) can be eradicated.

Did that pub used to be called the Bedford ?

I used to go in the Freeman's in the late 70's early 80's , but we moved to the Robert Peel for some reason.

Welford Road was a brilliant place for pubs in the 60's.

Was there a pub called (or nicknamed) the Big Window ?

Been in both the pubs that used to sit there next to each other, the first to be demolished was quite roomy but the Victory is quite cramped inside and really does not put itself over to being a modern pub without major rework so i guess no one wants it.

The number of pubs near the ground has shrunk quite a bit since the 90s but at least the Bricklayers Arms is back.

The only reason it wasn't used was the hospital brought it and ran it down, closed it knowing they wanted it for parking. Shame as they were both good pubs used by football and rugby fans

If they bought it, why not just knock it down straight away? It's been empty for god knows how long!

If they bought it, why not just knock it down straight away? It's been empty for god knows how long!

I guess it costs money to pull it down.

Archived