Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ilkeston_Fox

City v Huddersfield Post Match Thread

Superb yesterday. According to beeb we had 15 shots to their 5 and won 6-1.

Against Cardiff we had 18 to their 4 and lost 0-1. Daft.

It is not daft truth be told we were not clinical and their are some occasions in games where we have lost and drew where this was the case I would say had we had Wood earlier on we would of won those games because he is clinical.

It would be nice to carry on as the new year has started, good wins the odd draw. I will even take 442 if things go that way. I didn't make the game so I cannt say to much but when you keep reading positive comments and no one questioning King and Dyer being left out things must be good. I love the comments such as did the simple things, held the ball to let others, covered back and the such. It makes me wonder we why have not used this setup before (apart from Woods)

Seeing the highlights showed some lovely movement and individual quality. I didn't think Huddersfield are a poor side, are they a physical outfit ? If the players have learnt from the recent loses then we could well make it look easy.

We have..... :thumbup:

It took us to the top of the league before we got all negative and started to focus on 'keeping our shape' and 'being solid'.

I we have learnt anything it is that we play far better when we are aggressive and take the game to the opposition rather than letting the opposition come at us and trying to contain.

There is a serious point here, we often make a lot of chances that result in shots on target but these chances are often fleeting and not straightforward, our striker does well just to get the shot in.

The chances we create when we are playing well make it easy for the striker to get his shot in, so he has a much better opportunity to pick his spot.

It is not daft truth be told we were not clinical and their are some occasions in games where we have lost and drew where this was the case I would say had we had Wood earlier on we would of won those games because he is clinical.

Hard to say after one game, he scored two fair enough, but did spurn a couple of decent opportunities to get his third. I will be interested to see how he does when we are not playing quite so well...... :dunno:

Against Cardiff their keeper made a couple of fine saves, King had a superb effort against the post and Vardy hit the bar.

I see what you're saying but we should've won that game. The second half was flat and frustrating but we should've been in control of the match in the first half.

Against Cardiff their keeper made a couple of fine saves, King had a superb effort against the post and Vardy hit the bar.

I see what you're saying but we should've won that game. The second half was flat and frustrating but we should've been in control of the match in the first half.

The Cardiff game really bothered me, in many ways it showcased everything that is (was?) poor about us this season.

Sure we pressed forward early but we did not get enough men in the box to capitalise on our pressure, balls came back off the woodwork and the keeper and we had no one to pick up the pieces, look at Wood's first goal to see how it should be done....... :thumbup:

To be fair, King's usually assured finishing has deserted him but we really should have gone ahead before Bellamy scored. After that it was a different story, we seemed to be more concerned with damage limitation than with getting after Caardiff, very dissapointing I thought....... :(

Remind me of when we had a starting midfield of Konckerat Drinkwater James Marshell ?

Don't feel the personel mattered that much, we have played the same way though, back in september/october. King and Dyer played mostly and they were both in fine form so the style and effect was pretty much the same.

FWIW, I don't think we have ever played with Konckerat (bastard offspring of Roland Rat and our left back?) in midfield......... :xmasblink:

Don't feel the personel mattered that much, we have played the same way though, back in september/october. King and Dyer played mostly and they were both in fine form so the style and effect was pretty much the same.

My spelling my be a bit off, damn phone keeps changing it to Konckerat which I think is quite funny, as was your comment and it keeps the grammar police busy, BUT saying the personal don't matter ??!! MD please please you can not be serious ?

I do echo your concerns about the Cardiff game but the differance, IMO, was their one quality player, fingers crossed that WOOD (no s) will give us that if not more.

It may be that at presant the players lack self belief as much as anything.

My spelling my be a bit off, damn phone keeps changing it to Konckerat which I think is quite funny, as was your comment and it keeps the grammar police busy, BUT saying the personal don't matter ??!! MD please please you can not be serious ?

I do echo your concerns about the Cardiff game but the differance, IMO, was their one quality player, fingers crossed that WOOD (no s) will give us that if not more.

It may be that at presant the players lack self belief as much as anything.

I an not quite saying that the players are interchangeable but during our good run our midfield did very nicely without James and with Marshall as a bit part player........ :thumbup:

The serious bit is about the way we set up and approach some games.

Since topping the table we have, in the more 'difficult' games appeared to set up quite negatively. Our fullbacks have been shackled and our wide men played wide and quite deep, possibly in an attempt to be more 'solid'.

This has had a dramatic effect on our ability to pass the ball out of defence, with no one breaking from the back our defenders rarely have a good pass 'on' so try and bring the ball out themselves or force the pass. In many cases this leads to them being caught in possession or getting intercepted so, rather sadly they resort to the long ball. In all these cases we simply concede possession and get nowhere.

To my mind we needed to simply play our normal assertive passing game and take a bit of a risk, yes we will on occasion get beat, but at least we would have competed, given it a go, so to speak.

I did worry that we would bring in a 'big lump' so that we could simply hoof it up to him, something that I thought would be a huge step backward, but on saturday Wood's all round game was very decent, though how we fare against tougher opposition is yet to be seen

Just shows how deceiving stats can be - because there was no comparing the two performances in terms of our attitude. Even compared with early season games this was most sustained assault on the opposition yet, the fiercest we've gone for the throat in years and, unfortunately for Huddersfield we did so with a well equipped team, the impetus of a new striker and a clearly common purpose. Huddersfield were just in the wrong place at the wrong time whereas Cardiff were able to contain us fairly comfortably.

Looking at the highlights my first impressions were:

- Wood sure is a big fvcker and looked to give us that extra bit of presence we always seem to lack up top. He won't be able to score 2 and set one up every match but initial signs are (obviously) good.

- Knocky back on it? Coincidentally it was vs the same team earlier this season that he scored 2 wondergoals and had us all jizzing on him, but since then I'd started to get the impression that he's flattered to deceive: Chipping in every now and then but looking a bit like he may be a bit too much flair and not enough end-product. Hopefully it isn't simply the case that he's the Udders' bogey man.

Reading the comments in here has reinforced that first opinion, but I'd be interested to see where people stand on the Knocky debate as it isn't an area people seem to have really chipped in on (unless I've missed it of course). To that end I'll bump the Knocky thread since it's a bit off-topic here.

Archived