Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ilkeston_Fox

City v Huddersfield Post Match Thread

Evening all.

Fantastic result and even more importantly, in my view, a fine performance.

Two things stand out.

Firstly, Wood gave our strike force presence, can't think of a better word to descibe the difference his inclusion made, we may or may not have scored the early goals without him but with him they looked inevitable. Genuinely surprised (and pleased) by the effect he had.

Secondly, the rigidity and lack of enterprise that has been so obvious in recent times was gone, the runners were available, our forward players were making themselves available and Knockaert had (took?) the freedom to roam off his flank and orchestrate our attacks. Significantly this allowed De Laet space down the right and driving into it time after time he had an outstanding game.

The difference in our play from recent games was immense, bringing the ball out of defence we had options all over the pitch, Marshall and particularly Knockaert played with a freedom we have rarely seen in recent games and suddenly we were not giving the ball away, a huge difference.

OK, on the day Huddersfield were awfull and City did ease off on a couple of occasions, but all in all a really good day……. :thumbup:

It also made a massive difference with our attitude from kick off. We had our first attack within 20 seconds, the second attack a minute later and then a goal. Yeh the goal helped massively in confidence but we flew out the blocks today. Impressive

we definitely need to do this every home game. We will frighten the life out of most teams with the quality we have. I think Pearson is getting close to having exactly the squad he wants.

Evening all.

Fantastic result and even more importantly, in my view, a fine performance.

Two things stand out.

Firstly, Wood gave our strike force presence, can't think of a better word to descibe the difference his inclusion made, we may or may not have scored the early goals without him but with him they looked inevitable. Genuinely surprised (and pleased) by the effect he had.

Secondly, the rigidity and lack of enterprise that has been so obvious in recent times was gone, the runners were available, our forward players were making themselves available and Knockaert had (took?) the freedom to roam off his flank and orchestrate our attacks. Significantly this allowed De Laet space down the right and driving into it time after time he had an outstanding game.

The difference in our play from recent games was immense, bringing the ball out of defence we had options all over the pitch, Marshall and particularly Knockaert played with a freedom we have rarely seen in recent games and suddenly we were not giving the ball away, a huge difference.

OK, on the day Huddersfield were awfull and City did ease off on a couple of occasions, but all in all a really good day……. :thumbup:

Yeah was a great performance, I'm hoping Wood is our marquee signing or as Col said big white tent :P Looks like NP has identified some problems and addressed them especially James in midfield thought he was immense today!

Yeah was a great performance, I'm hoping Wood is our marquee signing or as Col said big white tent :P Looks like NP has identified some problems and addressed them especially James in midfield thought he was immense today!

The great performance came from a great attitude and a genuinely aggressive performance.

I simply do not understand how a team can be so negative and timid one week and so assertive and confident the next....... :dunno:

I know Cardiff are a far better side than Huddersfield but we never even tried to play against Cardiff (or Barnsley or Millwall) in the manner we played today.

Still a bit of light relief next week, then a good chance to stabilise our form at Bristol before a heavyweight clash with 'boro, should be interesting.

It also made a massive difference with our attitude from kick off. We had our first attack within 20 seconds, the second attack a minute later and then a goal. Yeh the goal helped massively in confidence but we flew out the blocks today. Impressive

This was helped by the fact when we lumped it up too we had a target there that could win the ball which he did!

On Michael Keane, not sure I will join in the love fest yet. Fair enough, he tries to play football, but his passing on a couple of occasions first half nearly caught us out. He also seemed rather nervous, having to drop a lot deeper than Morgan, almost playing a sweeper role and having no faith or guile to catch his man offside. Hopefully this will be picked up with time but on the whole a solid performance.

To be fair mate he's a kid, 19 years old, playing only he's second senior game in front of a 26000 home crowd, would'nt you be nervous!

He did his job, and look good on the ball!

The great performance came from a great attitude and a genuinely aggressive performance.

I simply do not understand how a team can be so negative and timid one week and so assertive and confident the next....... :dunno:

I know Cardiff are a far better side than Huddersfield but we never even tried to play against Cardiff (or Barnsley or Millwall) in the manner we played today.

Still a bit of light relief next week, then a good chance to stabilise our form at Bristol before a heavyweight clash with 'boro, should be interesting.

Yep can't wait Dave :chant:

Confidence, a couple of good results and a early goal helped them to relax!

Against Cardiff, I firmly believe if we had scored first we would have won the game.

Confidence, a couple of good results and a early goal helped them to relax!

Against Cardiff, I firmly believe if we had scored first we would have won the game.

But we didn't and despite going behind made no attempt to play with the energy and attacking intent that we showed today.

Getting beaten by a side bang in form and top of the league is understandable, but failing to even compete is what troubles me.

As I said above, be interesting to see how we deal with 'Boro in a couple of weeks time........ :dunno:

Scintillating stuff, absolutely thrilling and a perfect example of what's possible if you have faith in your ability to attack. This was exactly the kind of football that put us top of the League a few weeks back but better refined because we lasted longer, created more chances and had a new natural striker.

It really could have been 10 goals plus with City turning the visiting defence inside out and up their own arses at times. What I especially liked was the all round movement and vision that allowed our passing to flow with pace and panache and our strikers to enjoy a New Year party to remember.

After his wonder goals at Huddersfield it was no surprise to see Knockaert do so well, not only with his goals but also with his passing too.

Today he got the balance right, doing the simple things in set-up areas and delivering telling balls or pinpoint shots when he hit the danger zones. Yes, he did some work defensively but basically he was used for what he's good at - attacking.

And what a catalyst new striker Wood turned out to be with his two goals and an assist on a day when some said we should only start him if we weren't doing very well.

No, we went out there with intent from the very start - so much so that i missed the first goal - and we did what we should never have stopped doing this season - we pressured the opposition, swamped the attacking areas with players moving in all directions and went for the throat. And what a joy to behold.

People might say Huddersfield were poor and suffering a bad run of results but that kind of passing and moving would have troubled 'most anyone in our league and a few at the wrong end of the Premiership too.

The question now is whether we'll have the strength of character to keep imposing our game and our ability on proceedings or whether we'll keep convincing ourselves about how "hard" it somehow is to travel away and willfully bog ourselves down in a war of attrition when no such compromise is necessary.

For me we set a standard for ourselves today which, far from being a rare attacking indulgence, should be the benchmark level for the future.

Of course some opponents will respond more effectively than Huddersfield. But lets keep asking the questions with today's attitude because it's not just our matchday opponents who'd be under pressure but those above us in the League.

Who Dares Wins and we certainly wrote the words in lights today.

There were so many pluses in so many places it really was a game to remember.

But we didn't and despite going behind made no attempt to play with the energy and attacking intent that we showed today.

Getting beaten by a side bang in form and top of the league is understandable, but failing to even compete is what troubles me.

We all feel that way and that is what will make or break our season. But isn't that the Leicester way of doing things ?

The question now is whether we'll have the strength of character to keep imposing our game and our ability on proceedings or whether we'll keep convincing ourselves about how "hard" it somehow is to travel away and willfully bog ourselves down in a war of attrition when no such compromise is necessary.

For me we set a standard for ourselves today which, far from being a rare attacking indulgence, should be the benchmark level for the future.

This to me is the crux of our season, right there........ :thumbup:

It is about our attitude and setup, whether it comes from the players or the management. I have, by and large, given up on the idea that we need to play this formation or that formation preferring to emphasise the need for aggressive, attacking play and flexibility.

We got a lot of that on saturday, so different from the craven, negative style we have seen so often in recent weeks and it is this that gives me reason to look to the second half of the season with a degree of confidence..... :xmassmile:

Marbelladave...it was not long ago you were totally against a mobile target man......because of the way we play...what's you're thoughts now?

Not quite...... ;)

I was arguing against the inclusion of a big man because of our tendency under NFP to play wretched tippy tappy in our own half followed by a hoof to the 'big man', there were even some on here calling for a 'Steve Howard' type.

So far, just one game remember, that has not happened and Wood is no Steve Howard mk2 thank God, in fact we played well enough as a team, to suggest that we would have won quite easily even without our new striker.

Pleased as punch so far....... :thumbup:

We all feel that way and that is what will make or break our season. But isn't that the Leicester way of doing things ?

I bloody well hope not, not for the next 4-5 months anyway...... :xmasohmy:

Part of my new 'Be positive in 2013' approach..... :xmastongue:

I bloody well hope not, not for the next 4-5 months anyway...... :xmasohmy:

Part of my new 'Be positive in 2013' approach..... :xmastongue:

It would be nice to carry on as the new year has started, good wins the odd draw. I will even take 442 if things go that way. I didn't make the game so I cannt say to much but when you keep reading positive comments and no one questioning King and Dyer being left out things must be good. I love the comments such as did the simple things, held the ball to let others, covered back and the such. It makes me wonder we why have not used this setup before (apart from Woods)

Seeing the highlights showed some lovely movement and individual quality. I didn't think Huddersfield are a poor side, are they a physical outfit ? If the players have learnt from the recent loses then we could well make it look easy.

It would be nice to carry on as the new year has started, good wins the odd draw. I will even take 442 if things go that way. I didn't make the game so I cannt say to much but when you keep reading positive comments and no one questioning King and Dyer being left out things must be good. I love the comments such as did the simple things, held the ball to let others, covered back and the such. It makes me wonder we why have not used this setup before (apart from Woods)

Seeing the highlights showed some lovely movement and individual quality. I didn't think Huddersfield are a poor side, are they a physical outfit ? If the players have learnt from the recent loses then we could well make it look easy.

It's 'Wood'... Can we get this clear cos its not difficult.

:thumbup:

Archived