Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ilkeston_Fox

City v Huddersfield Post Match Thread

Absolutely fantastic display yet again, I'd done what, 200 home games without seeing us score six? Now I've seen it twice in five home games, terrific.

Chris Wood offered everything I wanted him to. Great finishing, serious strength, aerial presence and held the ball up very well, two goals and an assist is a fantastic return and he's everything I hoped he would be, great start and I hope he continues like that because we've got a serious player on our hands if so.

James, De Laet, Nugent & Knockaert wouldn't have looked out of place in a top half Prem side, they were all brilliant again.

Fantastic display, superb quality of goals and we made them look shite, although they did that themselves, their defence was probably worse than even Ipswich's.

On a downer, our fans were absolutely appalling, terrible atmosphere for a 6-1 win and the booing of Gallagher, well my thoughts have been well covered in the other thread.

But don't want to be a miserable bastard and focus too much on that, a class display and all of a sudden the top two looks achievable again, but there's a very long way to go.

I dont want to see six goals put past a shite yorkshire outfit. I want to see score 1 or 2 when we play the likes of Hull or Cardiff, very much like we did against Burnley.

All you doikers will soon forget this when we dont get promoted because we couldn't do a job against a slightly more prepared outfits, such as Hull, Cardiff etc...

Good trolling.

We took 4pts off Hull, they took 1pt off us - Perhaps they should have been better prepared than "slightly preprepared"

We also beat a clutch of other top or top section sides like Blackpool when everyone was saying they'd walk the league, Hull obviously, Middlesboro and on to victories like Huddesfield away when they were in the playoffs on merit, plus others too.

Absolutely fantastic display yet again, I'd done what, 200 home games without seeing us score six? Now I've seen it twice in five home games, terrific.

Chris Wood offered everything I wanted him to. Great finishing, serious strength, aerial presence and held the ball up very well, two goals and an assist is a fantastic return and he's everything I hoped he would be, great start and I hope he continues like that because we've got a serious player on our hands if so.

James, De Laet, Nugent & Knockaert wouldn't have looked out of place in a top half Prem side, they were all brilliant again.

Fantastic display, superb quality of goals and we made them look shite, although they did that themselves, their defence was probably worse than even Ipswich's.

On a downer, our fans were absolutely appalling, terrible atmosphere for a 6-1 win and the booing of Gallagher, well my thoughts have been well covered in the other thread.

But don't want to be a miserable bastard and focus too much on that, a class display and all of a sudden the top two looks achievable again, but there's a very long way to go.

Even the disgraceful booing aside, it's said time & time again. Don't know what people are smoking, they seem to think we're entitled to be 10pts clear at the top and when we're not it's doom & gloom time.

Bunch of morons

Here's my take on today's match.

We started out with a 4-4-2 and was pleased to finally see Knockaert back on the wing and staying out there. This was highly influential on the end result, it allowed us to keep our shape, keep the ball in the middle of the park and to pull Huddersfield around, imo Knockaert's best performances have all come whilst playing wide and staying wide, menacing his full back. This also gave De Laet support and some more freedom to bomb on and duly got a deserved goal from a solid performance.

Secondly, Chris Wood :wub: I think this may well be the missing key. He is the striker I have been going on about for so long, strong, capable in the air, good movement, good attitude and runs the channels. He can hold the ball up, similar to an Ian Marshall except with more technique or pace about him. It was evident from the start when we took kick off and Konchesky (as usual) lumped the ball up, except this time the whole crowd was in shock that the ball actually stuck up there, Wood laid it off to Marshall and we nearly scored within the first minute. He isn't just your standard Steve Howard type of targetman though, he has a footballing brain, he gets into positions and made front and back post runs today when anticipating crosses. Should have had a hat trick if Dyer had squared it.

I was also impressed with Marshall. I am highly disappointed and confused as to why he received such low marks in comparison to the rest of the team on the player ratings thread. Firstly, he had to play with Konchesky behind him... Marshall covered Konchesky on many times today, he worked hard getting back and covered for the liability. When in attack he did the simple things excellently, kept the ball and kept attacks flowing. On numerous occasions he had faith to get to the byline and put in a cross on his weaker foot - perhaps because now he has 2 strikers who are capable to aim for in the box.

On Michael Keane, not sure I will join in the love fest yet. Fair enough, he tries to play football, but his passing on a couple of occasions first half nearly caught us out. He also seemed rather nervous, having to drop a lot deeper than Morgan, almost playing a sweeper role and having no faith or guile to catch his man offside. Hopefully this will be picked up with time but on the whole a solid performance.

As for people on about the Gallagher booing... I heard none from L1 :dunno:

Wood was very good today but let's not go over the top. Remember Zsolt Laczko?

da fuk?

how many goals had he scored in the championship before we signed him then? imo people getting wood with the wood signing have more than good reason to.

Fantastic display and result, especially after one goal in four games, and to build on a hard fought away win is welcome.

The whole team deserve credit for it, we started it from the back with De Laet and Konchesky both on form, supported by the excellent Keane. In the midfield James was superb, always busy, Marshall and Knockaert dominating their full-backs. And up front the always busy Nugent linked up very well with Wood, who had a superb start.

Six goals, four of them crackers, and a wonderful debut for the new boy. We've made up two points on Hull and pulled away from sixth, the goal difference is tremendous and the volume of home goals so good to see.

Top effort by all.

Took my next door neighbour's lad to the match today - it was his first ever live game. Not a bad start, eh?! Really liked the look of Keane, but a great team performance. Happy New Year!

Top performance today, everyone played well. Wood made such a difference, you could see that he gave the players a lift and I'm sure Nugent appreciates a partner to help him up top. Lovely stuff, hopefully we can keep it up.

5 strikers at the club now.

Nugent, Wood, Vardy, Waghorn, Futacs.

Surely one will go in January?

Schlupp too, although it seems that he's being kept around as cover for Konchesky. I'd let him go out on loan for now, he needs games.

Archived