Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Fringe Players

A part of our team that needs addressing.

After watching a below par performance at Huddersfield i think it's made us all realise how screwed we'd be if any of our players currently in the first team got injured.

Our Cover:

Defence:

Moore

St Ledger

Whitbread

Schlupp

Midfield:

Wellens

Wingers:

Dyer

Gallagher

Strikers:

Vardy

Waghorn

Futacs

Our defence is the only decent cover we have, and even that's pushing it due to our injury list.

If we did have any injuries we'd obviously be at a disadvantage, especially up-front.

Thoughts?

Not exactly the same thing is it.

I think as cover, most of them are okish. For this division.

It's when you try and play a team full of them you will encounter problems, like we did on Saturday.

Seems like it could be a response to the how many players do we need thread.

Our fringe players are fine, when all played together they're not neccessarily great, but any one of the players who came in for that game would do an adequate job alongside ten of our usual first team players. We're spending enough already, adding more players only adds to the wage bill and potentially leaves us with a number of good championship players who are unhappy and are potentially going to cause problems. If we have injuries then we can loan players in, signing a gigantic squad and having multiple people fighting for few positions as we had last year doesn't always work, what we have at the moment has worked for the first half of the season and there's no reason to think it can't continue to do so.

Our fringe players are fine, when all played together they're not neccessarily great, but any one of the players who came in for that game would do an adequate job alongside ten of our usual first team players. We're spending enough already, adding more players only adds to the wage bill and potentially leaves us with a number of good championship players who are unhappy and are potentially going to cause problems. If we have injuries then we can loan players in, signing a gigantic squad and having multiple people fighting for few positions as we had last year doesn't always work, what we have at the moment has worked for the first half of the season and there's no reason to think it can't continue to do so.

I tend to agree Mark but it's a risky strategy really.

We've seen on a few occasions now that we are not a particularly good side when key players are missing.

I'd like a bit more quality in depth.

I think we have a lot of 'average' players in the squad, perhaps too many actually?

But quality in depth IS lacking and I hope it don't come back to bite us on the bum.

A part of our team that needs addressing.

After watching a below par performance at Huddersfield i think it's made us all realise how screwed we'd be if any of our players currently in the first team got injured.

Our Cover:

Defence:

Moore

St Ledger

Whitbread

Schlupp

Midfield:

Wellens

Wingers:

Dyer

Gallagher

Strikers:

Vardy

Waghorn

Futacs

Our defence is the only decent cover we have, and even that's pushing it due to our injury list.

If we did have any injuries we'd obviously be at a disadvantage, especially up-front.

Thoughts?

you missed in midfield whichever of drinky/james/king isn't playing will also be cover as we only really play 2 of them 3

Tricky to sign better player who is happy to be benched, or better player who then benches one of the current 1st 11. Potentially leading to sniping from the sidelines & one rotten apple sending the rest off like happened before NP got to grips with everything.

Season to date we have the 2nd best squad in the division, automatic promotion is in our own hands.

I think we could benefit from more quality, but carrying it off in this division is extremely tricky, when improving on what we have would mean automatic start in many other clubs.

Tricky to sign better player who is happy to be benched, or better player who then benches one of the current 1st 11. Potentially leading to sniping from the sidelines & one rotten apple sending the rest off like happened before NP got with everything.

Season to date we have the 2nd best squad in the division, automatic promotion is in our own hands.

I think we could benefit from more quality, but carrying it off in this division is extremely tricky, when improving on what we have would mean automatic start in many other clubs.

That makes sense..

:thumbup:

I tend to agree Mark but it's a risky strategy really.

We've seen on a few occasions now that we are not a particularly good side when key players are missing.

I'd like a bit more quality in depth.

I think we have a lot of 'average' players in the squad, perhaps too many actually?

But quality in depth IS lacking and I hope it don't come back to bite us on the bum.

I think bringing in more players who would generally expect to be starters (as I think the majority of players who are of a higher standard than our fringe players would), is equally risky and a lot more expensive to be honest.

I think bringing in more players who would generally expect to be starters (as I think the majority of players who are of a higher standard than our fringe players would), is equally risky and a lot more expensive to be honest.

If we get promoted Nige may well have to learn how to manage this side of the game.

The expectation will have to be that we have a squad containing an overall better standard of player than we have now.

Wellens, Vardy, maybe even King won't be good enough to play consistently well at Prem level.

I agree with you, maybe we are just about good enough now. But if we go up, Nige will have to manage a squad of generally better players, with some being 'fringed' so to speak.

That would be interesting...

Adding depth to our squad surely can't do no harm, many teams have more players than us, many teams have more loan players than us, we only have one loan player in Keane, so adding more wouldn't go a miss. At one stage earlier this season, we only had about 19 regular players, as some were out on loan like Gallagher, Wellens and Danns.

The defence is good enough, and our depth in that position is really good, I would trust the likes of Moore, St Ledger and Schlupp if they happened to start games later in the season.

Midfield though is a worry, we have three very good central midfielders, but all teams around us have more, Wellens isn't good enough anymore, while wing wise Dyer and Marshall are too inconsistent someone in on loan in that position wouldn't go a miss.

Up front, Wood, Nugent and Waggy are the main three, and I would be happy if any of those three started, but when it comes to Vardy and Futacs, one isn't good enough and one really wants first team football. Vardy isn't good enough and should be loaned out, Futacs wants first team football so selling him wouldn't be a bad thing. Even though Nugent and Wood are firing, teams around us have better quality to bring off the bench, especially in the forward role.

Cardiff - Helguson, Campbell, Bellamy, Mason, Velikonja, Maynard

Hull - Simpson, Fryatt, Aluko, Proschwitz

Watford - Deeney, Vydra, Geijo, Forestieri

Crystal P - Murray, Zaha, Easter, Wilbraham, Nimely

Middlesbrough - McDonald, Emnes, Jutkiewicz, Miller

Adding depth to our squad surely can't do no harm, many teams have more players than us, many teams have more loan players than us, we only have one loan player in Keane, so adding more wouldn't go a miss. At one stage earlier this season, we only had about 19 regular players, as some were out on loan like Gallagher, Wellens and Danns.

The defence is good enough, and our depth in that position is really good, I would trust the likes of Moore, St Ledger and Schlupp if they happened to start games later in the season.

Midfield though is a worry, we have three very good central midfielders, but all teams around us have more, Wellens isn't good enough anymore, while wing wise Dyer and Marshall are too inconsistent someone in on loan in that position wouldn't go a miss.

Up front, Wood, Nugent and Waggy are the main three, and I would be happy if any of those three started, but when it comes to Vardy and Futacs, one isn't good enough and one really wants first team football. Vardy isn't good enough and should be loaned out, Futacs wants first team football so selling him wouldn't be a bad thing. Even though Nugent and Wood are firing, teams around us have better quality to bring off the bench, especially in the forward role.

Honestly I only envy the list of Cardiff forwards there.

We definitley don't need another striker until the summer.

You've named some very strange, and in some cases very injured, players there, I have to say.

We don't need another striker, unless one's leaving, and I can't see that.

Some might argue that our 'second string' would have a chance in this division-

Logan, Moore, Whitbread, St. Ledger, Schlupp, Gallagher, King, Wellens, Dyer, Futacs, Waghorn

Perhaps that should be the team for the replay, if they're all available and we're worried about fixture congestion.

Some might argue that our 'second string' would have a chance in this division-

Logan, Moore, Whitbread, St. Ledger, Schlupp, Gallagher, King, Wellens, Dyer, Futacs, Waghorn

Perhaps that should be the team for the replay, if they're all available and we're worried about fixture congestion.

Logan is an appauling excuse for a goal keeper.

Logan is an appauling excuse for a goal keeper.

I'm not a fan, but he's not alone at being appalling in this league and, at 26, a goalkeeper can still improve. He's got some experience in this league, been a regular at League One level and impressed a few people when he won promotion from League Two a few years back. I doubt we can expect much more for cover and I daresay there's been a few worse keepers than him pull on a jersey in this league this season.

I'm not a fan, but he's not alone at being appalling in this league and, at 26, a goalkeeper can still improve. He's got some experience in this league, been a regular at League One level and impressed a few people when he won promotion from League Two a few years back. I doubt we can expect much more for cover and I daresay there's been a few worse keepers than him pull on a jersey in this league this season.

I've seen far to much of Conrad playing first team football to think he'll ever be good enough to play in this division. Postioning is awful, and whilst he isn't the worst shot stopper due to his size he pushes too many back out into dangerous areas.

I'd like to think he is here purely to take over temporarily if Schemical was to be sent off or injured. Should he be missing for any decent length of time I would hope we'd be in the emergency loan market straight away.

Archived