Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

match fixing

You may have picked up that Interpol have said there appears to have been match fixing taking place. As a City fan, I hope it has never happened to us, however I do have strong suspicions about one European tie that City lost where a referee gave a number of very questionable decisions against us. Thoughts?

That isn't really match fixing, more corruption and bribery, to me match fixing involves a good team deliberately losing to a lower team.

If I was going to speculate over any of our matches being fixed it would be the Burton match earlier this year, but I suspect that was just cos we were shit.

Most pundits reckon that the Chelsea v Barcelona game a few years back at stamford bridge was likely to be fixed.

These men are meant to know about football, so how can they state that the match was fixed by a wonder strike in the 93rd minute is beyond me. Yes the ref gave some bad decisions, but theres no way they would make the match so close.

Most pundits reckon that the Chelsea v Barcelona game a few years back at stamford bridge was likely to be fixed.

These men are meant to know about football, so how can they state that the match was fixed by a wonder strike in the 93rd minute is beyond me. Yes the ref gave some bad decisions, but theres no way they would make the match so close.

Fixed as in bribing the opposition, no it wasn't fixed.

Was the referee bribed/instructed to favour Barcelona to some extent? Well that's not hard to believe at all. In that instance I genuinely believe he was.

The match was close because Chelsea did their best to win. They lost, in my opinion, because of numerous blatant bits of dishonesty from the officials.

95% of these games will involve Turks and Greeks, it's been going on on betfair for years with some incredible money being staked on certain games.

Fixed as in bribing the opposition, no it wasn't fixed.

Was the referee bribed/instructed to favour Barcelona to some extent? Well that's not hard to believe at all. In that instance I genuinely believe he was.

The match was close because Chelsea did their best to win. They lost, in my opinion, because of numerous blatant bits of dishonesty from the officials.

Thing is, if they were going to fix a match for financial gain, they wouldn't do it in such a high profile match - they would do it in a match that no-one cares about. Most of these cases are things like betting that there will be 'X' amount of yellow cards - things that have high returns for their investment.

Thing is, if they were going to fix a match for financial gain, they wouldn't do it in such a high profile match - they would do it in a match that no-one cares about. Most of these cases are things like betting that there will be 'X' amount of yellow cards - things that have high returns for their investment.

I'm not saying they're on about that game here. I don't think UEFA would rig a match for gambling profits.

However, they would rig it for their image and their own long term financial gain (not related to gambling etc) and that is exactly what I suspect they did in that game.

Remember when they were saying they didn't want two English teams in the final again? We don't have to look far for a motive.

lol

People on here pointing towards where refs have clangers ect ect, theyre a clever bunch pulling this shiz off, youd think theyd be slightly more covert

With the amount of cash being bet on a weekly basis being arffing massiff, match fixing probably well is too. Were not living in a magical innocent pixie world

While financial gain is often the biggest motivator for players, coaches, and referees to engage in match fixing, I wonder sometimes if there are also more nefarious things going on that compel people to fix or throw matches. Most high-profile match fixing scandals involve crime syndicates that often have a far and powerful reach. I would assume that some match-fixers have been threatened with violence or blackmail if they don't agree to participate.

That isn't really match fixing, more corruption and bribery, to me match fixing involves a good team deliberately losing to a lower team.

That is still match fixing. Throwing a game is just one way to fix a match.

Or a League cup game earlier in this season where 3 current employees and 1 that has left bet on City losing.... ;0/

Or perhaps they just made an honest assessment that the squad that day was lacking sharpness and match fitness lol

Sometimes, it might not be a bad idea to fix a big game, as those games already attract high betting volumes. If Betfair all of a sudden sees a huge spike in bets in a Latvian third division game, it would raise all sorts of red flags. I mean, not that I recommend doing this, of course.

Archived