Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lovelcfc

King defensive role

Does anyone else think that king doesn't suit the role he's played this season? The king we all know and love used to get forward and be a real goalscoring CM, now he rarely has much of the ball and hardly gets forward, i think we would all love him to change roles and go back to how he was, granted he does sometimes make vital tackles etc but for me his strenths lie in getting forward, bit like he was at the start of the season

In a 442 he has to do this role and his runs forward are often blocked by our wingers cutting in as well, he's doing a good job for the ram and the retards need to get off his back.

He is obviously better suited to a 3 man midfield but that isn't what we play right now

Like Jimmy says, he's limited by his responsibility in a 2 man midfield. When he's the 3rd man he has more licence to not only get forward but to read the game and concentrate less on his more conservative duties.

Just not good enough im afraid.I know he has been here a few years and would give his all for us.Maybe it is the role he has been given especialy away from home,he simply just isnt on the ball.He runs about alot and points to other players,and Alan Young says he is always doing work off the ball(meaning he's not on the ball much) and helping out defensively.Well sorry Alan,its because when he plays we dont get the ball in midfield,hence he does his work in defence.I dont want to slate any of our players,but i see all home games and most away games and for a central midfielder he isnt involved in our play at all,granted DD gives the ball away more than king but that is simply because you see him on the ball more.Feel bad writeing this cause i like him as a guy.

When wood or Nugent are out I would live to see him in the role just behind the main striker. Particularly if wood is the main front man holding the ball up for King to make runs beyond. I think we could do some damage as king can be very hard to pick up and is a quality finisher

Many people have said that King isn't good enough and I understand why.

But I'd then ask was he good enough in the 10/11 season when he bagged 15? I don't think King has become a bad player, he just isn't being used properly. I do agree that he perhaps isn't good enough to play in his current role in a 2 man central midfield.

But what is we stuck Drinkwater and James in with him?

That sort of midfield is somewhat similar to the 10/11 midfield of Wellens, Abe and King. Remembering that Wellens was very good that season and Abe played a similar role to what James could right now. I know it's been suggested already in this thread but I've got no doubt that King could be superb for us if used in this system. This strategy might be particularly useful if either Wood or Nugent are unable to play, King would effectively become one of our primary goalscorers as he was in the 10/11 season.

Many people have said that King isn't good enough and I understand why.

But I'd then ask was he good enough in the 10/11 season when he bagged 15? I don't think King has become a bad player, he just isn't being used properly. I do agree that he perhaps isn't good enough to play in his current role in a 2 man central midfield.

But what is we stuck Drinkwater and James in with him?

That sort of midfield is somewhat similar to the 10/11 midfield of Wellens, Abe and King. Remembering that Wellens was very good that season and Abe played a similar role to what James could right now. I know it's been suggested already in this thread but I've got no doubt that King could be superb for us if used in this system. This strategy might be particularly useful if either Wood or Nugent are unable to play, King would effectively become one of our primary goalscorers as he was in the 10/11 season.

interesting. if 1 of wood/nuge are out like this idea, rather than wasting a starting place on vardy etc

I don't think he's playing a more defensive role it's that we have more attacking outlets now than we did when we had Oakley on the wing, he makes numerous late runs into the box but is clearly not on people's radar. Add to that a little loss of goalscoring form, maybe due to lack of opportunities.

I think we have 3 potential goalscorers, Wood, Nugent and Knocky who seem a lot more driven and hence 'selfish' with many better placed players being ignored in the pursuit of individual goals.

I get so frustrated at the abuse King gets sometimes, he does so much for the team that goes unnoticed. He's having a decent season, we are sat in 3rd, he has played the majority of games yet he is not good enough? We arent in the prem yet and he is a great Championship player

Personally, I want to see King partner James, as this way it allows King the liberty to get forward and in recent weeks, James has been our most reliable midfielder. I don't understand how people can criticise King for being 'too weak', when he is just as likely as Drinkwater (possibly more so) to put a challenge in.

King makes intelligent runs both forwards and backwards and is one of the hardest workers on the pitch, the difference between King and Drinkwater is when King is having an off-day he is invisible, when Drinkwater is having an off-game he is useless and a liability and even on a good day he still can't shoot.

King over Drinkwater any day.

Also, there have been a lack of quality crosses, i.e, Konchesky putting everything on the ground whilst Futacs was on the pitch, and everything in the air after he went off, therefore without the supply of good crosses, how is King supposed to score form one of his late runs into the box

He has more drive than King.

e

Drinkwater and James is our strongest partneship.

Yeah, I have to agree. Whenever James and King have been paired together they have looked... Oh no, wait a minute, they've never started as a 2 in midfield together. Interesting how you can have an opinion on the effectiveness of a combination when its never been utilised.

Yeah, I have to agree. Whenever James and King have been paired together they have looked... Oh no, wait a minute, they've never started as a 2 in midfield together. Interesting how you can have an opinion on the effectiveness of a combination when its never been utilised.

I don't think we've seen Futacs/Vardy up front together, shall we try that ahead of Nugent/Wood?

Plus, I never commented on the effectiveness of a King and James partneship. I was talking about the Drinkwater and James partneship which I think, in my opinion, is the best we have. I don't think James and King would work, that is all.

I don't think we've seen Futacs/Vardy up front together, shall we try that ahead of Nugent/Wood?

Plus, I never commented on the effectiveness of a King and James partneship. I was talking about the Drinkwater and James partneship which I think, in my opinion, is the best we have. I don't think James and King would work, that is all.

No because Vardy and Futacs aren't very good. Slightly pointless and irrelevant thing to say :dunno: . Besides, who knows, they actually could be our best partnership up top. Stranger things have happened.

But by saying that the James/Drinkwater partnership is the best, you're immediately ruling out the King/James partership. Fair enough if you think that they're the 2 best CM's we have but you're comparing it against the King and Drinkwater partnership and as I said, without having seen King and James play together we can't really comment on which is the best partnership in midfield.

I think James should be in the team at the moment and whilst King is not on top of his game, I would certainly give him a go ahead of Drinky at the moment. I'm pretty content to have any of those as our 3rd choice to be perfectly honest.

Archived