Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Ben Marshall to WBA?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/9913509/West-Brom-manager-Steve-Clarke-looking-to-the-Championship-for-reinforcements.html

john-percy60-60_2378356j.jpg

By John Percy

10:00PM GMT 06 Mar 2013

comments.gifComment

Clarke, the West Bromwich Albion head coach, watched two potential summer transfer signings in the Championship meeting between the two clubs at the King Power Stadium on Tuesday night.

Byram scored in the 1-1 draw and has emerged as a priority target for Albion, with the 19 year-old being viewed as a long-term replacement for Republic of Ireland international Steven Reid.

The young right-back is the latest graduate from Leeds' highly regarded Academy and could follow Robert Snodgrass and Jonny Howson into the Premier League.

Marshall, 21, is also on Albion's summer wish-list and has been watched by Clarke and coaches Keith Downing and Dean Kiely in Leicester's last three home games.

Clarke could lose Peter Odemwingie, Jerome Thomas and Yassine El Ghanassy at the end of the season and is determined to sign at least one winger this summer.

Ben Marshall is a good player.. he has showed he can perform at a high standard.. Unfortunately we have a manager that cannot keep this high standard consistent...same goes for Knockaert and Wood...all decent players when they first came , but all seem to decline in level of performance..we need to question Pearson. Not question why Steve Clarke is interested !

Ben Marshall is a good player.. he has showed he can perform at a high standard.. Unfortunately we have a manager that cannot keep this high standard consistent...same goes for Knockaert and Wood...all decent players when they first came , but all seem to decline in level of performance..we need to question Pearson. Not question why Steve Clarke is interested !

This explains why Marshall was poor for the first few months and then came good at the end of the season.

Idiot!

The players do have to take bit of responsibility for their own performances don't they? It is the players who go out on to the pitch and kick the football around, not Pearson.

This explains why Marshall was poor for the first few months and then came good at the end of the season.

Idiot!

I don't like to see talented wingers/attacking players restricted in a formation which dilutes their talent...bit harsh with the idiot comment

The players do have to take bit of responsibility for their own performances don't they? It is the players who go out on to the pitch and kick the football around, not Pearson.

I've given 3 examples where performance levels have declined. Why not question the managers input???

:rolleyes:

So 3 players have a dip in form and that's Pearson to blame? Jeeezus. Let's hang him and get a new manager in before it's too late for these poor players and their fledgling careers. Some fans of our club will do ANYTHING to have a moan. Pathetic.

I've given 3 examples where performance levels have declined. Why not question the managers input???

As opposed to the other 20-odd squad members that haven't had a dip in performance. He must be doing something right because I'd say Kasper, Morgan and Nugent in particular have been outstanding this season.

I suppose you could argue that certain tactics don't suit players but Pearson is well known to be fairly rigid in his approach to games. He doesn't change much.

So I think you have to question the players. They have to take most of the responsibility, you really can't blame the manager for poor individual performances - they happen from time to time and unfortunately there are a lot of players struggling at the moment. No-one had a dig at Pearson's ideas when these players were performing earlier in the season.

Can't work out how it's Pearson's fault that Marshall simply isn't that good.

Erm...WBA have been scouting him. They think he has talent and with their recent signings such as Jacob and Lukaku suggests their transfer policies work well. So if Stev Clarke rates Marshall then i feel Leicester fans need to question wether Pearson is getting the best out of him

He's talented I've no doubt about that. On his day he can be superb, he's got quality technique with his passing, crossing and shooting.

Fact is though he hasn't been at his best more often than not this season. Whilst this could be partly Pearson's fault, I think it's far more down to Marshall's mentality and inexperience.

I remember when he came off the bench against the sheep and played on the left. He looked good and delivered a great cross for Nuge's first.

So, whilst the left may not be his favoured position, he's still capable of doing good things there. To me, his season is a lot more down to him than Pearson.

He's talented I've no doubt about that. On his day he can be superb, he's got quality technique with his passing, crossing and shooting.

Fact is though he hasn't been at his best more often than not this season. Whilst this could be partly Pearson's fault, I think it's far more down to Marshall's mentality and inexperience.

I remember when he came off the bench against the sheep and played on the left. He looked good and delivered a great cross for Nuge's first.

So, whilst the left may not be his favoured position, he's still capable of doing good things there. To me, his season is a lot more down to him than Pearson.

Not sure if its all down to Marshall himself...against Leeds he put in a fantastic cross for us to score, however, we are reveling in his ability to fill in at right back...the guy might be confused with his role in the team...Do you think Steve Clarke wants to sign him because he can fill in at right back?

I feel he needs to be let loose behind a front 2...so does Knockaert

Not sure if its all down to Marshall himself...against Leeds he put in a fantastic cross for us to score, however, we are reveling in his ability to fill in at right back...the guy might be confused with his role in the team...Do you think Steve Clarke wants to sign him because he can fill in at right back?

I feel he needs to be let loose behind a front 2...so does Knockaert

I didn't say it's all down to him, I said it's more down to him than Pearson.

I think right midfield is his best position personally. Yes he can come inside and shoot but he can also deliver an inch-perfect cross when he's in the mood. He's a young footballer, it's not unexpected for him to be a bit immature or prone to weak confidence at times.

It might have something to do with the way Pearson is playing him but of we're honest, he's just not been at the races too often this season, and that includes when he's been on the right, or coming into central positions, and when he's been going forward with the ball.

Need to keep hold of these young players, they've got the skills & they will improve to be more consistent over time & through that our team will improve too.

No ta WBA, goodbye.

Totally agree with this comment..its just alarming when teams from a higher division are recognizing our young talents ....even when they are underperforming!

One game probably doesn't make much of a difference and won't determine Clarke's final decision. No player will be perfect EVERY single game, least of all at Championship level - I'm pretty sure Clarke would be aware of it. Maybe he was here last Tuesday vs Blackburn, too?

Need to keep hold of these young players, they've got the skills & they will improve to be more consistent over time & through that our team will improve too.

No ta WBA, goodbye.

This is just what naturally happens if you load your side with decent but inconsistent youngsters and then fail to meet your goals. The idea that a young team will stay together, grow and improve over 4-5 seasons just isnt realistic. Look at the Arsenal side of the last few years, the pre-meltdown Leeds side and even the 'Dream Team' Derby had in the early 90s. Regardless of what happens this season the young core of this side will only get one more shot at it before it breaks up.

Marshall has been a disappointment this season and hasn't convinced me that he has sufficient quality to be in a promotion winning side. He lacks pace as a winger and lacks the physical presence to succeed in midfield. We will not succeed with average players.

I would be happy to recoup the transfer fees we have paid out for him.

Ben Marshall is a good player.. he has showed he can perform at a high standard.. Unfortunately we have a manager that cannot keep this high standard consistent...same goes for Knockaert and Wood...all decent players when they first came , but all seem to decline in level of performance..We need to question Pearson. Not question why Steve Clarke is interested !

Good comment!

Archived