Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Matt Piper

Time to go down memory road.

Leicester born and bred, Matt Piper came through the Leicester City ranks, just as I was getting into Football. Despite not going to a first team match at Filbert Street, and also despite being young, I will always remember his breakthrough and the last ever goal at Filbert Street, which he scored. Despite only playing 16 games for us, he was highly rated and was always a danger to the opposition. Sunderland snapped him up in 2002, only for him to get numerous injuries, which wrecked his football career. He was a player who had a bright future ahead of him, his name will always go down in history as the player to score the final goal at Filbert Street, on a Leicester City calendar a few years back, they decided to do historic moments, and a picture of Piper's goal was the final picture on the Calendar for December, it will always be one of my favourite pictures.

We had a trio of youngsters breaking through at that time, Piper, Stevenson and Reeves, Piper and Stevenson both still play football for Oadby Town, so both are still in the area. I also can't believe Matt Piper is still only 31.

For anybody who went to Filbert Street, can anybody remember how talented Piper was, can anybody remember his final goal at Filbert Street?

I went out with someone who knew him and met up with him in Leicester about 9 months ago and he to be quite honest acted like a complete gimp. Surpising, as I'd herd he was quite a level headed guy.

He was a good player with a lot of promise who was sold on due to us needing the money and he had his career ended by injury.

Cringe worthy that you've described him as a legend even if he did score the final goal at Filbert Street.

The guy was like a breath of fresh air. Young, quick and hungry to play. The main thing i remember about him was the fact he was actually prepared to try and beat a man 1 on 1 down the wing and very often won. He rarely used fancy footwork just used strength and pace. Really simple and effective!

Gutted for him the way his career went!

Remember him well.

Great prospect and by all accounts he was gutted to be sold on.

I was there for the last game, albeit in the Filbo end. He chucked his head at a cross, through a sea of Spurs players' boots. I think that he appreciated what it'd mean to score the last goal at that place.

Remember him well.

Great prospect and by all accounts he was gutted to be sold on.

I was there for the last game, albeit in the Filbo end. He chucked his head at a cross, through a sea of Spurs players' boots. I think that he appreciated what it'd mean to score the last goal at that place.

This

Guest MattP

I actually never rated him that highly and thought 3million was great money for a player I was convinced would get found out.

Shame we never got to see what he could have achieved.

Calling him a legend is a joke.

Piper was quality during the very short time he was with us. Showed so much promise and regularly terrorised opposition defences. Real shame about his injuries at Sunderland as he could have gone on to be a very decent Premiership winger. Considering his career in hindsight though, we did well to sell when we did although I was gutted at the time. Definitely not a 'legend' but one of the most promising local youngsters that came through our ranks in the past 20 years.

As far as I'm aware, Piper turned out a bit last season for Oadby but isn't there this season. John Stevenson is there and is their 'star' player, just bloody greedy; but does have over thirty goals for them and isn't playing as an out and out striker. Stefan Oakes signed for them in December and has played a few games for them so far.

Interesting fact despite being much younger back then I had more pubic hair then than I do now. Of course the cause is a lifestyle choice rather than losing it naturally, but it's still a fabulous little fact. I'm proud of myself. Who's jealous?

dude.... you posts always crack me up and keep me entertained...thanks :thumbup:

I played against Matt Piper twice as a junior. The first time I played against him was in the county cup semi finals (he was playing for Ratby and Groby) and even then he was very fast and strong, I knew he would go on to better things. The second time was a year later when we had a friendly against Leicester under 15's. He was even faster and stronger and was by far their best player (he actually scored the winner by skinning me for pace). He has to be the best player I have played against by some way and he was a decent lad. His dad is a nice fellow too.

I remember one home game against Chelsea where we lost 2-3 but Piper was the best player on the pitch. Started on the right and ripped Le Saux to pieces then came over to the right and dominated there.

Great talent, was well gutted when we sold him.

i actually went to school with him, used to play football with him and his brother, and also matt nurse (gk) who came up through citys youth and made the bench a few times for the first team (dont think he ever actually played a first team game though).

He was a breath of fresh air for us in a season of disappointment. I think we did very well to get £3 million for him but who knows how good he could have been? The best game he had for us was vs Chelsea at home in a game we somehow lost 3-2 after taking the lead twice and absolutely battering them. Piper played like Henry that day and they couldn't handle him, he nearly scored a ridiculous overhead kick. The fans got very excited after that game but i'm not sure if it was because he was so good or we had been starved of any quality for so long.

My ex knew his missus who he's got kids with and by all accounts he's an absolute helmet.

Archived