Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc1994

Is it possible just to enjoy playing in the championship?

Good post but who's impatient?

10 seasons out of the top flight... And many are still suggesting they'd be happy with another year in the Championship with Pearson. How patient do you want people to be?

Nigel has had 18 months now mate. That's not an insignificant amount of time in current football management terms.

Not talking about the people on this thread necessarily, but our fanbase in general. There are too many fans who lose their temper with the team too quickly and boo every bad result, write us off early in the season, etc.

Even when we're doing well our fans often turn at the first sign of trouble.

Not talking about the people on this thread necessarily, but our fanbase in general. There are too many fans who lose their temper with the team too quickly and boo every bad result, write us off early in the season, etc.

Even when we're doing well our fans often turn at the first sign of trouble.

I've tried to explain why Kitch..

It's expectation.. Pure and simple. And, lets have it right, with the money we've had to spend under Sven it's been a big old Fook up.

If we were seen as a smaller club, with little finance and highly average players, we'd be over the moon this season at being 8th. As it is, it's seen as under-achieving. That's why our fans moan so much.

IMO.

Of course we are underachieving not making 2nd spot now for our club is underachieving NP has blown it and his predecessors we need a manager that can deliver the goods is it too much to ask?

Good post but who's impatient?

10 seasons out of the top flight... And many are still suggesting they'd be happy with another year in the Championship with Pearson. How patient do you want people to be?

Nigel has had 18 months now mate. That's not an insignificant amount of time in current football management terms.

The 10 seasons thing is a bit misleading when explaining away the lack of patience our fans have though. It includes the crap we had to put up with under Adams, Levein and Kelly where the transfer budget was about as big as our next gate receipts, a relegation season in which we had three managers and a season in League One, also a season where Sven had to completely reverse the woeful start under Sousa. Out of that decade, we've had maybe three disjoined seasons total where we've even troubled the top six. Too many people here imply we've been knocking on the door of the Premier League for quite some time when for the majority of it, we were scaling a burning ladder away from League One.

We should be happy, maybe even a little bit excited at a new era in which we are constantly back at the right end of the table. If we're not looking like a promotion side within another season or two, then is the time to start asking questions. Remember Nigel Pearson's contract is over in summer 2014, he WILL need to do enough to make sure it's renewed. That for me is his true deadline.

And our best (in the past decade) 08/09?

So does the league matter

Of course the league matters. If it did not people on her would not be up in arms about us blowing our chance to get out of it and shouting for Pearson to get the sack. Promotion out of this league is all that matters. And if you dont want that as a supporter go and support a team that is never going to get promotion.

Promotion would be a dream come true, impatience wont get a team promoted. Patience could see us being in the play offs for the next few seasons, promotion or no promotion, i would still be happy to see my team contending for the prem.

I enjoyed the play-off season more than that, because I felt we were back where we belong, challenging to get back into the top flight. Being top of League 1 didn't really fill me with much pride.

And tbf, League 1 was so enjoyable because we were winning all the while and there was a glorious ending. It was a change from the previous years of shit. That's what we need, a change, a season that is different, something to ignite the atmosphere and enthusiasm of the club.

Seasons like this are crap, slowly petering out and yet more disappointment at the end.

I agree with flowwolf really, we should always be looking to be in the top flight, we have the fanbase for it and I almost feel like too many fans start to believe that we are what everyone else says we are - a joke. I don't think our fans are bad because of too much expectation, expectation can drive a fanbase to believe and make the atmosphere better.

Our problem is impatience, but another problem is I don't think enough people believe we are a great club who should have top flight status.

And that is the issue - it's not just our status and the teams we play, it's the effect it has on the atmosphere and mood of the club. More than most things, it's important we get that spark back in the club. That is why I hate being down there, the flame is burning out. There is not so much pride in us these days.

The sad truth is I think the last three years have been very different to our standard year. They've all had the same sticky end, but we were going for the autos for most of this season and something still never felt right IMO.

Said it earlier but I really do think unless we're absolutely pissing this league it'll just be shit. There's nothing wrong with having ambition at all, I'll never question that, but some of our fans' attitudes are a joke.

It's expectation.. Pure and simple. And, lets have it right, with the money we've had to spend under Sven it's been a big old Fook up.

If we were seen as a smaller club, with little finance and highly average players, we'd be over the moon this season at being 8th. As it is, it's seen as under-achieving. That's why our fans moan so much.

IMO.

A good number were the exact same when we were 2nd.

8th I can understand. But 2nd? Ridiculous.

Of course the league matters. If it did not people on her would not be up in arms about us blowing our chance to get out of it and shouting for Pearson to get the sack. Promotion out of this league is all that matters. And if you dont want that as a supporter go and support a team that is never going to get promotion.

To me, it's either promotion or a decent run in the FA Cup. I doubt we can have both simultaneously in one season, as it's mentally strenuous and physically demanding.

Of course the league matters. If it did not people on her would not be up in arms about us blowing our chance to get out of it and shouting for Pearson to get the sack. Promotion out of this league is all that matters. And if you don't want that as a supporter go and support a team that is never going to get promotion.

It's obvious everyone wants the best, but if Premier League is ALL that matter as you claim - then it's obvious you're supporting the wrong club and just setting yourself up for complete non-enjoyment of vast majority of your time as more often than not, we're not in the top flight.

Yes, we've been out the top flight too long, yes we need to get back there as soon as sustainably possible but just enjoying yourself is all that matters, I'm not saying enjoy the defeats - everyone goes home & kicks the dog, gets the wrong end of the banter on Monday morning etc & that's all the sweeter when we've handed out a hammering. But Christ if you don't take something out of the ridiculous ebb & flow of this division you can only be eternally disappointed with bitter resentment.

It's obvious everyone wants the best, but if Premier League is ALL that matter as you claim - then it's obvious you're supporting the wrong club and just setting yourself up for complete non-enjoyment of vast majority of your time as more often than not, we're not in the top flight.

Yes, we've been out the top flight too long, yes we need to get back there as soon as sustainably possible but just enjoying yourself is all that matters, I'm not saying enjoy the defeats - everyone goes home & kicks the dog, gets the wrong end of the banter on Monday morning etc & that's all the sweeter when we've handed out a hammering. But Christ if you don't take something out of the ridiculous ebb & flow of this division you can only be eternally disappointed with bitter resentment.

Believe me I know what it's like to support Leicester city I've been doing it since 1959. And as such accept our limitations. There have been many years when I like everyone else just shrugged at the inevitable because we knew we did not have the financial backing.

But that all seemed to change with the new owners , suddenly we had someone who not only could and would give a manager financial clout to get us out of this league and then have the money to sustain ourselves in the Prem, Then along came Sven and just as bad Pearson.

Is it then any wonder that expectation was so high especially after the great first half of the season ? We all feel let down because we HAVE been let down yet again. No I'm sorry but with the set up and owners we now have we should be expecting promotion , so to meekly accept anything else is in my opinion throwing in the towel.

We take our lead from the owners who have already stated that the prem is a must so why should we not expect much ?

IMO.

We're a small club with limited finances and a squad mainly of average players, sitting in 5th & our fans are p*ssing & moaning as well.

Football fans are rarely happy with their teams, you look on practically any forum & it's mainly doom & gloom!

Good luck on Saturday.

raba

Back in the day I dont think I ever cared about promotion, going to city was just fun and the result almost meaningless, but times have changed and everything I loved about going has pretty much dissapeared so results and success have become more important, sad but true.

The championship is a great league we don't have any right to get promoted so until we get to the premier league i will enjoy the championship. Also one of the seasons i enjoyed most was in league one, plenty of cheap away days went to every game. I think there are positives to every league and will enjoy watching leicester in any of them.

Yes I enjoy the championship, when we are in the running rather than being mid table/lower table mediocrity. This season has been a rollercoaster that seems to have come to a crashing halt. The last few games have been phenomenally exciting and it's brought the best out of the fans as well. Obviously, every fan wants their team in the premier league. Let's not settle for this whole mediocrity mindset where we "like the competitiveness and excitement of this league" or "don't want to be in the Premier League because we'll get beaten every week". I just don't get that point of view. Sure, the championship is great and I enjoy it as much as the next fan. BUT, the premier league is number one. It's one of, if not THE, best divisions in the world. What Leicester fan in their right mind wouldn't want this club playing in that league instead of the championship? To one extent I'm fed up of 2/3 to 3/4 full stadium every week and the occasional big away following at the KP. Yes it's great having all these away days at places like Blackpool, Barnsley, MIllwall etc... but I want to be playing the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs nearly every week. We have had our 10 years in exile, we may even have one more, and we've certainly had enough chance in that time to soak up a range of places from Carlisle to Plymouth. I want to be back in the Premier League more than ever. I don't understand why every other fan wouldn't want the same

Yes I enjoy the championship, when we are in the running rather than being mid table/lower table mediocrity. This season has been a rollercoaster that seems to have come to a crashing halt. The last few games have been phenomenally exciting and it's brought the best out of the fans as well. Obviously, every fan wants their team in the premier league. Let's not settle for this whole mediocrity mindset where we "like the competitiveness and excitement of this league" or "don't want to be in the Premier League because we'll get beaten every week". I just don't get that point of view. Sure, the championship is great and I enjoy it as much as the next fan. BUT, the premier league is number one. It's one of, if not THE, best divisions in the world. What Leicester fan in their right mind wouldn't want this club playing in that league instead of the championship? To one extent I'm fed up of 2/3 to 3/4 full stadium every week and the occasional big away following at the KP. Yes it's great having all these away days at places like Blackpool, Barnsley, MIllwall etc... but I want to be playing the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs nearly every week. We have had our 10 years in exile, we may even have one more, and we've certainly had enough chance in that time to soak up a range of places from Carlisle to Plymouth. I want to be back in the Premier League more than ever. I don't understand why every other fan wouldn't want the same

Every fan does want premier league but I am prepared to wait and enjoy the championship in the mean time. Last time we were in the premier league i was only 6 and i had a season ticket, however i can't really remember it, i would love to experience the premier league properly but i have enjoyed being a season ticket holder for the last 10 years in the championship (lets not mention league 1).

Every fan does want premier league but I am prepared to wait and enjoy the championship in the mean time. Last time we were in the premier league i was only 6 and i had a season ticket, however i can't really remember it, i would love to experience the premier league properly but i have enjoyed being a season ticket holder for the last 10 years in the championship (lets not mention league 1).

I may have no choice but to wait forever as I'm never going to support another team! Why do we do it to ourselves?

As I said it's not like I don't enjoy the championship, but I look around the stadium every home game and think "this is a club which can do a lot better than it is doing at the moment". We have the facilities, the fanbase, some of the players and the ambitious owners to be a Premier League side. That's why should we still be in the championship next year I will be disappointed. I will enjoy it as I do now, but I will still be sitting there thinking we could be playing utd, arsenal and chelsea, not Bournemouth, Doncaster and Blackpool.

I have never really properly seen my side be in the Premier League. The last time we were, I got to some matches but my parents weren't able to go often, so I couldn't go as we lived far away. Now I have my own means of getting around and following the team I support. I still have brief memories of moments like Collymore and Heskey vs Sunderland. That's what I want to experience week in week out in the best league in the world. Sadly, as exciting as the championship is, I don't think I can get that there!

We're a small club with limited finances and a squad mainly of average players, sitting in 5th & our fans are p*ssing & moaning as well.

Football fans are rarely happy with their teams, you look on practically any forum & it's mainly doom & gloom!

Good luck on Saturday.

raba

Think all the hype around football in this country will kill it eventually. It just boosts absolutely silly expectations at every club - clubs using over-expectations as their PR to get more through the gates etc... it's such a poor moral system in this country.

I'm not saying that Leicester shouldn't have them either. Last season top two should've happened with what we've spent, this year I'd have taken play-offs and it looks like both years we're to be let down.

I have never known a club to bottle expectation like us, yet at the same time be such over-achievers when little is expected. We're genuinely a better side when less is expected of us, it makes no sense.

Similar to us. When we're facing adversity we fight til the death. When we can clinch automatic promotion we can't win a game in ten attempts. Palace were the bookies favourites for relegation this season, a phenominal run put us in pole position, one game to go and we may drop out of the playoffs.

Fans want immediate success, immediate gratification but have to realise that unless you have the instant cash injection like Man City & Chelsea then stability & building is the key.

To go back on topic, yes this is usually a great league but this season has been very poor quality. This is possibly the last year that Championship teams can compete with newly relegated teams which is what makes the prize more important.

Similar to us. When we're facing adversity we fight til the death. When we can clinch automatic promotion we can't win a game in ten attempts. Palace were the bookies favourites for relegation this season, a phenominal run put us in pole position, one game to go and we may drop out of the playoffs.

Fans want immediate success, immediate gratification but have to realise that unless you have the instant cash injection like Man City & Chelsea then stability & building is the key.

To go back on topic, yes this is usually a great league but this season has been very poor quality. This is possibly the last year that Championship teams can compete with newly relegated teams which is what makes the prize more important.

I don't think ten years out of the top flight means the fans want instant gratification in fact I would say we have been very patient and supportive especialy when we came close to being out of business altogether. Ten years out of the Prem and we stil get good crowds and loyal support away from home.

No one expects promotion but contrary to what you said we DID have a big cash injection with the new owners it's just that it was squandered by that carpet bagger Erikson on shit players. We were second only to West Ham in throwing the money about, but for them it worked.

Again given all those aspects is it any wonder that for the first time in ten years our expectations were higher than normal ? Given our position half way through the season and the kind of football we were playing the second half has been an unmitigated disaster and it's pointles to argue otherwise because the facts tell you that.

I don't know why people try to put a good angle on things by saying we have no right to expect promotion , that is true but we do have a right to expect better than what has happened in the last 19 games and someone is responcible for that and I'm afraid the buck stops with the manager, yet people still defend this clueless man.

Archived