Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbage Fox

Justification

I need your help

I have been following our club since the days of Keith Weller and his white tights and seen lots af mediocre days, some bad and some great days (Wembley wins, Sheffied league cup win then Madrid away) and now my youngest son who is 10 has acquired his first season ticket with me for next year.

What justification can I give of inflicting a life time of following Leicester City...

I have the Samaritans phone number on speed dial

I was hoping that people could persuade me that we will be playing a fantastic form of the beautiful game and that we will be attacking with pace and flair and that our strikers movement will baffle defences, and that our midfield will dazzle other midfields with their quick moving of the ball combined with the required amount of steel, and that our defenders will pass the ball out of defence with the class of Beckenbauer or Moore and that our fullbacks will gallop forward, not give the ball away and end up out of position... then I remembered that NP was still in charge... so please help me

Unfortunately Burbage when you're older he may get his revenge and leave you to rot in a home and never visit.

One of the reasons why I'm bringing my lad up as  a Leicester fan but trying to veer him towards West Ham as well, who will be his local side.

I need your help

I have been following our club since the days of Keith Weller and his white tights and seen lots af mediocre days, some bad and some great days (Wembley wins, Sheffied league cup win then Madrid away) and now my youngest son who is 10 has acquired his first season ticket with me for next year.

What justification can I give of inflicting a life time of following Leicester City...

I have the Samaritans phone number on speed dial

For every Forest away there's a Watford away. It will make him mentally stronger and will naturally not be a cvnt by not supporting United.  ;)

I have explain that supporting LCFC is like hair loss its hereditary, but thats not working, as he even at 10 told me that Hair Loss applies to your mothers side and with her being from Yorkshire supports Dirty Leeds... and obviously that is not an option..

Unfortunately Burbage when you're older he may get his revenge and leave you to rot in a home and never visit.

One of the reasons why I'm bringing my lad up as  a Leicester fan but trying to veer him towards West Ham as well, who will be his local side.

Cheers Hackney... is that actually Hackney or Victoria Park depending if your posh or not

Tell him that, unless he supports Leicester, he is going into care.

That's what I did !!

(This is of course not what I did.  I have three step-children.  One of them already supported his local club when I came onto the scene, so I left pretty much alone.  The other two, both girls supporting glory PL clubs, were a different matter.  I took them to a few home games.  They saw that supporting a team meant more than watching on the TV.  It meant sacrifice, suffering and very, very occasionally, moments of pure joy.  In League One, Huddersfield away to be exact, they began to sing 'Leicester till I die.'  With due solemnity, I informed them that this was a serious matter and they should not choose this path lightly, as it was a lifetime committment to something which was not easy.  They choose to continue singing, and to this day, they are Leicester fans.  Not only that, both have partners who now own Leicester shirts and occasionally watch games live.  Two out of three aint bad !!)

Just tell him that it's an easy option to follow one of the (big) Premier League clubs and that nothing encapsulates the highs and lows of a football fan more than supporting Leicester City FC.

It never gets bland, really.

(Don't tell him about the years leading up to our League One affair, mind you :ph34r:)

I was hoping that people could persuade me that we will be playing a fantastic form of the beautiful game and that we will be attacking with pace and flair and that our strikers movement will baffle defences, and that our midfield will dazzle other midfields with their quick moving of the ball combined with the required amount of steel, and that our defenders will pass the ball out of defence with the class of Beckenbauer or Moore and that our fullbacks will gallop forward, not give the ball away and end up out of position... then I remembered that NP was still in charge... so please help me

If you want that, support Man United, or Arsenal, or Bayern, or Barca. With Leicester it's often tough, it's often heartbreaking, but I wouldn't swap it for anything.

I told all five of my kids, you support someone else then I throw you out the house.

My kids are all loyal City fans. They have never had another English football team shirt.

They have new city shirts and England shirts. My eldest was allowed a Swedish shirt, why? Pontus Kamark.

My two youngest love football so I have allowed them European team shirts (Barca, Inter etc) but they will never have any other English team but City.

My eldest has been to Wembley to see City, my youngest dreams of it.

Supporting your local team is REAL football.

They may only have one or two great spells in their lifetime, ( for me its been the Bloomfield and the O' Neill eras) but that is REAL football.

Otherwise they may as well be glory supporters.

During my tenure It's been frequently boring.

Oh boring football to watch in large parts, no doubt. "at the end of the day" was supposed to mean that by the end of the season it's not boring, as opposed to let's say Coventry, Barnsley of late, mid table teams etc. 

Take the last 20 years or so and look at God knows how many play off trips to Wembley in the 90s, some lost but then some won. 3 League Cup finals, 2 wins. 2 trips to Europe. Few relegation battles before going down up down up a few times. Relegation to League One, a fun season and league title there, 2 more play off campaigns which were definitely not boring. I'd say we're pretty interesting to follow on a whole. 

Even just take the last 6 months or so. Pearson out we're shit to 2nd place we're gonna catch Cardiff and win the league to okay we'll take the play offs to Jesus Christ we're gonna be mid table again sack him now to THAT game at Forest and well, the Play Offs again. Boring? Nah. 

The thing is Burbage, my first game that my dad took me to was home to Coventry under Bryan Hamilton. It was the last but one game of the season and we lost 3-2 and were relegated. I was 12. I didn't care. I was hooked. The floodlights, the walk to the stadium, the cigar smell as we walked up the steps to the double decker, and the glimpse of the pitch on the way up. The lights, the noise.

I then supported us through the pleat years home and away, if you could do that then you were a 'stayer'. I used to catch the bus from Shepshed as a 14yr old and stand next to the away dug out. I saw sheringham destroy us for millwall, strachans cheeky penalty vs Leeds, Gary Macs winner, 3-0 down to Swindon after fifteen mins and ended 3-3.

Away trips followed, my flag on telly at Sunderland away, abusing jimmy greaves at the same game, ormondroyds goal at Pompey in the play offs, defeat at Barnsley as Julian scored, loss after loss at the den, at Oxford, at Plymouth....

It's not and never has been easy being a lcfc fan. Never have I felt such pain in all my supporting life as I did two weeks ago. But the point is, it's not about winning for a child, it's the magic!!! My little girl follows Leicester and she is ten, and my 7 year old boy is already a city fan. Everyone around us follows either forest or Chelsea! My kids understand the importance of following their hometown team. It's as simple as love!

Archived