Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Leicester approach former manager O'Neill

Weren't all those signings except Claridge made when we were in the Premiership over a 3 or 4 year period ? hardly big spending is it really ?

The signings made to get us out of the 2nd tier were Lennon ,Izzett, and Claridge so just over 2 million unless I forgot anyone.

Spot on..

To accuse O'Neil of being a 'big spender' is garbage.

Even at Villa I think (though dont have all the figures) that most of the players he signed were then sold on at a profit or simply ran down their contracts.

I think he did a very good job at Villa.

However, at Sunderland, despite having a superb start, he then looked like a manager who had perhaps reached the twilight of his career and IMO who needed to finish in management.

He looked tired, I thought.

Love the man... Legend in my eyes and I will never be able to thank him enough for the superb teams and success he gave us at City. My mates and I genuinely believe it may never be emulated.

However, lets remember him for what he gave the club... And leave it at that.

Pearson, for me, gets one more season. Fail again and I want a change.

I'm not saying O'Neill was a big spender just that he did in fact spend and not every signing was some hidden gem like Muzzy.

Pearson only spent around £4m last summer and we were still labelled 'big spending'.

Overriding point is, if O'Neill came back, he would need the gaurantee of a transfer kitty.

He wont be coming back anyway so not sure why i'm bothering to post on here.

Happy Bank Holiday to you all.

Spot on..

Even at Villa I think (though dont have all the figures) that most of the players he signed were then sold on at a profit or simply ran down their contracts.

However, at Sunderland, despite having a superb start, he then looked like a manager who had perhaps reached the twilight of his career and IMO who needed to finish in management.

Love the man... Legend in my eyes and I will never be able to thank him enough for the superb teams and success he gave us at City. My mates and I genuinely believe it may never be emulated.

I agree.

Thank you MON for those good years.

After initial success at Sunderland he appeared to struggle.

Now the dust has settled,a balanced view on last season suggests a work in progress.

NP should be able to build on the success enjoyed up to January.

If we are merely talking about money spent, then O'neill spent a fortune at Villa.  120 million ish!!!!!  These are just a few.

Reo-Coker 8.5m

Young 9.65m

Petrov 6.5m

Steven Davis 4m

Cahill 4.5m

Curtis Davies 10m

Sidwell 5.5m

Shorey 4m

Luke Young 5m

Cuellar 7.8m

Milner 12m

Heskey 3.5m

Downing 10m

Delph 6m

Warnock 6m

Collins 5m

Dunne 6m

If we are merely talking about money spent, then O'neill spent a fortune at Villa.  120 million ish!!!!!  These are just a few.

Reo-Coker 8.5m

Young 9.65m

Petrov 6.5m

Steven Davis 4m

Cahill 4.5m

Curtis Davies 10m

Sidwell 5.5m

Shorey 4m

Luke Young 5m

Cuellar 7.8m

Milner 12m

Heskey 3.5m

Downing 10m

Delph 6m

Warnock 6m

Collins 5m

Dunne 6m

But on the other hand, that was over an extended period of time, several of them were sold on for a profit and bear in mind he had them pushing for the top 4 for part of his time there. Imagine that!

If we are merely talking about money spent, then O'neill spent a fortune at Villa. 120 million ish!!!!! These are just a few.

Reo-Coker 8.5m

Young 9.65m

Petrov 6.5m

Steven Davis 4m

Cahill 4.5m

Curtis Davies 10m

Sidwell 5.5m

Shorey 4m

Luke Young 5m

Cuellar 7.8m

Milner 12m

Heskey 3.5m

Downing 10m

Delph 6m

Warnock 6m

Collins 5m

Dunne 6m

Think you've got Cahill wrong in there. He was a Villa youth player and was sold to Bolton, so MON definitely didn't spend £4m on him.

Spot on..

No Robertson no magic

£3m Eadie

£2m Sinclair

£2m Gunnlaugson

£1.6m Elliott

£1.5m Fenton

£1.2m Claridge

£1m Marshall

£1m Impey

£1m Flowers

Bear in mind that was 15 years ago and its not too dis-similar to the amounts we spend now and we're referred to as 'big spending'.

Dont get me wrong, if O'Neill came back i'd be happy but if anyone thinks he can operate with no money, you're living in a dreamworld.

Them signings were made over a course of time not one season,cannot really call him big spending.

They were over 2 or 3 seasons and most purchases werein he Premier not the championship

Who ever says O'Neil would spend is stupid.

He will want to spend quite a bit and bring in at least 4 or 5 players in the summer. If he spends the owners will want promotion this season. If he doesn't achieve it they will sack him and we're in the same situation as we was in when Sven left. What do we do this time? Try and get Pearson back for a 3rd spell to get rid of the big spenders and try to build another squad? 

No Keep Pearson

Clearly the Thai's are up to something,

Club way to quite for my liking!

The level of paranoia round here is reaching epic proportions

No Robertson no magic

Bit harsh Mack. You might be right about Robertson but Martin inherited a piss-poor Sunderland team and only had two transfer windows to rectify it. He dragged them off the floor when he first arrived. Seven months isn't long enough to make a judgement that John Robertson was the missing ingredient.

Who ever says O'Neil would spend is stupid.

He will want to spend quite a bit and bring in at least 4 or 5 players in the summer. If he spends the owners will want promotion this season. If he doesn't achieve it they will sack him and we're in the same situation as we was in when Sven left. What do we do this time? Try and get Pearson back for a 3rd spell to get rid of the big spenders and try to build another squad? 

No Keep Pearson

No of course not, i think his failure this time around, will make sure the owners realise that Pearson is not the right man for the job!

Wouldn't be surprised if it were true. 

Pearson's camp expected him to be sacked and the Thais have only met with the CE in the last few days to discuss the way forward so the timing makes sense also.

Personally, I'd rather we kept NP. 

If we can get rid of 4/5 like Beckford, Danns and St Ledger on decent money then he can bring in 3/4 young hungry players or even excellent seasoned pros like Morgan for the same money or less. It'd only take that to turn us into a promoted team.

If we go to a new manager it turns into new ideas, players leaving who should stay and others coming who they've worked with before (and who presumably, therefore, are happy to drop from a rem reserve team), with, according to this headline, a manager who hasn't worked in the championship for 16 years. What does MON know about Championship players these days?

Archived