Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Leicester approach former manager O'Neill

Isn't O'Neil's wife ill with cancer or something?

I suspect if she is, then I'd doubt O'Neill would return (with regards to being in a job which requires high expectations, as well as looking after his Wife - both of these would require extreme commitment).

So it's not possible for someone to make something up to fill the pages of a newspaper then?

Maybe so, but it seemed quite random and out of the blue from the daily mail. Maybe it's smoke screen for MON to join Stoke i don't know?

That phrase "no smoke without fire" is such shite. Honestly, utter rubbish.

I can tell you now that we're in talks with Mancini to replace Pearson. There's your smoke.

Is there any fire? No there is not because I made it up - just as the media might be inclined to do if they want a story.

That phrase "no smoke without fire" is such shite. Honestly, utter rubbish.

I can tell you now that we're in talks with Mancini to replace Pearson. There's your smoke.

Is there any fire? No there is not because I made it up - just as the media might be inclined to do if they want a story.

I think the no smoke comment is made because the papers are linking us with several new Managers.

If there was nothing going on then it's unlikely these rumours would be so widespread and regular in frequency.

I think the no smoke comment is made because the papers are linking us with several new Managers.

If there was nothing going on then it's unlikely these rumours would be so widespread and regular in frequency.

Hmmm well maybe. We still don't know that the owners are even considering sacking Pearson.

I have to say though, there are so many cases where that phrase just isn't applicable.

Martin needs his trusty assistant John Robertson with him. That's why he failed at Sunderland and he shouldn't come back here without the O'Neill, Robertson and Walford partnership together. That's if he was to return.

Top: Mart m8, u fancy lcfc job?

Mart: Come back to me when u ain't got a manager kiddo.

Top: Nige, ur sacked m8.

Nige: u wat m8?

Top: ur sacked.

Nige: wtf.

Top: Mart, broke it off wiv nige, u in?

Mart: looool no m8 I wuz jus trollin lolol

Top: dats twice u cvnt arrrgh

Mart: lolol

Nige: lmao serves u rite top ps thanks for de payoff

Top: ye wtv nige use it 2 buy some better trainers. Btw hu else is available?

Mart: mark Hughes? Pmsl

Nige: lololol top trollin Mart

lol lol lol

So, from what you are saying the owners are actively looking to replace Pearson, but wont sack him until they have the replacement lined up?

If they want O'Neill I'd doubt he will take a job under those circumstances on principle.

I genuinely don't have a clue what the owners want at the moment. I just know a lot of the players have had enough of  NP and that they did speak to Lennon. 

But he must be doing something right if he's still here for now, because Kasper's exacts words were that he had a clause in his contract about us having to finish in the top two.

I don't know what would be put to MON if he does speak to the owners, but i just know he would definitely be open to discussing the idea of coming back.

I genuinely don't have a clue what the owners want at the moment. I just know a lot of the players have had enough of  NP and that they did speak to Lennon. 

But he must be doing something right if he's still here for now, because Kasper's exacts words were that he had a clause in his contract about us having to finish in the top two.

I don't know what would be put to MON if he does speak to the owners, but i just know he would definitely be open to discussing the idea of coming back.

I am not saying that you don't have inside sources but do really think that if a manager had a clause like that they would tell the players?! No.

And if that was true then why didn't they sack him as soon as the top 2 was out of the question and bring in a new manager to give them a few games to adjust to the club?

I am not saying that you don't have inside sources but do really think that if a manager had a clause like that they would tell the players?! No.

And if that was true then why didn't they sack him as soon as the top 2 was out of the question and bring in a new manager to give them a few games to adjust to the club?

No idea. I'm literally repeating the words he said.

Cutting costs and Martin O'Neill don't go together

Is this a joke? He never had money to spend at Leicester - probably the reason he went. We were in Filbert Street with 20k crowds and he brought in the likes of Izzet, Guppy, Taggart, Lennon, Savage, Claridge, Marshall, Flowers, Walker, Collymore etc for peanuts. Darren Eadie for £3m was about as far as he pushed the boat out.

At Villa he may have got a reputation for spending, but he had the money and still went for young talent that could be sold on for a profit - Young, Milner are a couple of examples, Fabian Delph could have been similar but didn't work out for whatever reason.

There were some turkeys, of course, but nobody's immune to that and the overriding impression of his time at Leicester was doing things on a relative shoestring.

Is this a joke? He never had money to spend at Leicester - probably the reason he went. We were in Filbert Street with 20k crowds and he brought in the likes of Izzet, Guppy, Taggart, Lennon, Savage, Claridge, Marshall, Flowers, Walker, Collymore etc for peanuts. Darren Eadie for £3m was about as far as he pushed the boat out.

At Villa he may have got a reputation for spending, but he had the money and still went for young talent that could be sold on for a profit - Young, Milner are a couple of examples, Fabian Delph could have been similar but didn't work out for whatever reason.

There were some turkeys, of course, but nobody's immune to that and the overriding impression of his time at Leicester was doing things on a relative shoestring.

£3m Eadie

£2m Sinclair

£2m Gunnlaugson

£1.6m Elliott

£1.5m Fenton

£1.2m Claridge

£1m Marshall

£1m Impey

£1m Flowers

Bear in mind that was 15 years ago and its not too dis-similar to the amounts we spend now and we're referred to as 'big spending'.

Dont get me wrong, if O'Neill came back i'd be happy but if anyone thinks he can operate with no money, you're living in a dreamworld.

£3m Eadie

£2m Sinclair

£2m Gunnlaugson

£1.6m Elliott

£1.5m Fenton

£1.2m Claridge

£1m Marshall

£1m Impey

£1m Flowers

Bear in mind that was 15 years ago and its not too dis-similar to the amounts we spend now and we're referred to as 'big spending'.

Dont get me wrong, if O'Neill came back i'd be happy but if anyone thinks he can operate with no money, you're living in a dreamworld.

Them signings were made over a course of time not one season,cannot really call him big spending.

£3m Eadie

£2m Sinclair

£2m Gunnlaugson

£1.6m Elliott

£1.5m Fenton

£1.2m Claridge

£1m Marshall

£1m Impey

£1m Flowers

Weren't all those signings except Claridge made when we were in the Premiership over  a 3 or 4 year period ? hardly big spending is it really ?

The signings made to get us out of the 2nd tier were Lennon ,Izzett, and Claridge so just over 2 million unless I forgot anyone.

Weren't all those signings except Claridge made when we were in the Premiership over  a 3 or 4 year period ? hardly big spending is it really ?

The signings made to get us out of the 2nd tier were Lennon ,Izzett, and Claridge so just over 2 million unless I forgot anyone.

Other than Julian watts. Inset was a loan too so we didn't sign him until the summer.

Archived