Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

On 09/04/2018 at 22:37, orangecity23 said:

Leicester got a little mention via Richard III in episode 1 of Cunk on Britain on BBC 2 last week (which incidentally was fantastically daft). Apparently Richard hid under a car park after the battle, and when he emerged was found to have died of tarmac inhalation. lol

Curl on Britain is quality 

On 16/03/2018 at 14:01, Wookie said:

One of the biggest problems is that it doesn’t matter which way you enter the city, the surrounding areas are dogshit. Frog Island is a hovel.

You’ve got probably finest urban walks into a city in the country…. New Walk is fantastic…. I’ve stumbled up and down it many times over the years

i think New Walk was created for a royal visit and they watched horse racing on Vicky Park

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

You’ve got probably finest urban walks into a city in the country…. New Walk is fantastic…. I’ve stumbled up and down it many times over the years

i think New Walk was created for a royal visit and they watched horse racing on Vicky Park

You've obviously missed the homeless hostel at the end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Don’t think it is anymore?  Anyway, they’re very nice Georgian buildings either way

You may be right - it’s been a good while since I walked that way. 

Recently had a day and night out in Bristol. Shocked how nice it was and you could see the locals love it as it was buzzing both day and night.

Decent quality hotels in the City, high quality retailers, a thriving nightlife of restaurants and bars. Outdoor and indoor markets, absolutely packed with people during the day.

The main point I noticed was the numbers of people enjoying the City. It seemed everyone was out enjoying it throughout the day, it really was packed out.

The difference between the two Cities is like day and night. 

Bristol  has poor areas, but the centre is appealing and makes you want to visit it. Leicester has poor areas and the centre has a poor feel to it. 

Well done Bristol, we will be back. 

The only areas that I feel that need big focus on to improve is around the St. Matthew's and the surrounding area as well as Saffron Lane.

Other parts of the city are ok imo.

But shame that Belvoir and Granby Street have gone downhill in the centre.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Frog Island is starting redevelopment and the waterside developments are ongoing as well as the old station. In 10 years time it's gonna be visibly better all around

Edited by Wookie

On 15/04/2018 at 09:32, Rob1742 said:

Recently had a day and night out in Bristol. Shocked how nice it was and you could see the locals love it as it was buzzing both day and night.

Decent quality hotels in the City, high quality retailers, a thriving nightlife of restaurants and bars. Outdoor and indoor markets, absolutely packed with people during the day.

The main point I noticed was the numbers of people enjoying the City. It seemed everyone was out enjoying it throughout the day, it really was packed out.

The difference between the two Cities is like day and night. 

Bristol  has poor areas, but the centre is appealing and makes you want to visit it. Leicester has poor areas and the centre has a poor feel to it. 

Well done Bristol, we will be back. 

Glad you enjoyed it. Lived here nearly 20 years and would struggle to think of a city I'd rather live in the UK.  Expensive though and a nightmare for first time buyers who want to buy in / near the city centre.

Also really comes alive when the sun comes out. Different festivals / events in the city centre and around the waterfront pretty much every weekend during the summer months.

6 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Also really comes alive when the sun comes out

So does everywhere in the UK. Since being at uni, today (well yesterday really) is the most I've enjoyed Sheffield since moving here simply because it was warm ad sunny.

21 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The only areas that I feel that need big focus on to improve is around the St. Matthew's and the surrounding area as well as Saffron Lane.

You must be easily pleased.

New walk, Top of High street, Highcross (predictably) bits of culture area, bits around Millstone lane are ok the rest is a shiit hole and I haven't just moved here.

Try walking from Abbey street to the clock tower for one.

The very worst of Leeds centre is better than Leicesters best

29 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

The very worst of Leeds centre is better than Leicesters best

I ****ing love Leeds and spent three years of my life there, great city, great people, always something going on and tonnes of money has been pumped into it over the past decade - but that's patently untrue. I'd much rather walk down New Walk than through Little London after bloody dark.

• Like 2

The Conservatives say they will build a tram network across Leicester – if they seize control of the city council next year.

The city’s Tories have made the provision of a new transport system their flagship policy as they try to loosen Labour’s grip on the council in the elections that will take place next May.

Conservative party chairman Jack Hickey said he had already discussed the concept with Transport Secretary Chris Graying who was "enthusiastic" about it.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/plan-unveiled-build-tram-network-1478321

Not gonna happen, but still good to see it being discussed.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/plan-unveiled-build-tram-network-1478321

Not gonna happen, but still good to see it being discussed.

It's possible but let's be honest, Labour could stand a cow, pig and sheep in Leicester and win an election. 

Everyone moans about Vaz, Soulsby etc but when a vote comes around they get voted back in comfortably.

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The only thing I take issue with is the description of this being 'shocking' - it's been going on as long as I can remember:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/shocking-photo-shows-sea-litter-1480586

So many people are just lazy slobs, I live near a Subway outlet and the rubbish that's strewn around within 100 feet where there are 2 bins is disgraceful. A couple of days ago in our cul de sac there were at least 8 empty cigarette packs and numerous fag ends just dumped under a hedge, someone must have got out of their car to dump it there!

We had a thread on this many moons ago and there were plenty who thought it was ok to drop litter as we have street cleaners etc to pick it up after them and gives them a job.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

So many people are just lazy slobs, I live near a Subway outlet and the rubbish that's strewn around within 100 feet where there are 2 bins is disgraceful. A couple of days ago in our cul de sac there were at least 8 empty cigarette packs and numerous fag ends just dumped under a hedge, someone must have got out of their car to dump it there!

We had a thread on this many moons ago and there were plenty who thought it was ok to drop litter as we have street cleaners etc to pick it up after them and gives them a job.

When I was but a lad the Keep Britain Tidy campaign was quite a big thing, but we do seem to be living in a time when dropping litter is, while not socially acceptable, isn't that big a deal for A LOT of people.

If I saw somebody drop litter and then by some quirk of fate was interviewing them for a job, I wouldn't employ them in a million years. Even if they came across really well I'd just assume they were a terrible person

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When I was but a lad the Keep Britain Tidy campaign was quite a big thing, but we do seem to be living in a time when dropping litter is, while not socially acceptable, isn't that big a deal for A LOT of people.

If I saw somebody drop litter and then by some quirk of fate was interviewing them for a job, I wouldn't employ them in a million years. Even if they came across really well I'd just assume they were a terrible person

My 1st post in this topic back 2005, litter wise nothings change in fact as you suggest it's got worse.

On 31/07/2005 at 12:01, davieG said:

Just been up/down town, not something I do too much these days; now I know there is a lot of building going on but it just struck me that it looks a rundown, dirty, litter ridden dump, for example the expensive paving in Humberstone Gate/Clock Tower is all uneven.

I can't believe we had the nerve to enter the Britain in Bloom competition as a few flower baskets don't disguise the general decay of the City infrastructure.

Are all Cities like this - I think not.

We used to be known as the cleanest City in England and the second most prosperous City in Europe - What's gone wrong?

On 4/18/2018 at 13:00, Wymeswold fox said:

I work in the city centre (Near the train station) and I walk down Granby street often. It is an absolute mess now. The amount of crackheads outside sainsbury's is mental. Theres always about 5 or 6 of them loitering around. 

I can't believe the amount of homeless people in the city centre at the moment. So many crackheads and alcoholics walking around. 

14 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I work in the city centre (Near the train station) and I walk down Granby street often. It is an absolute mess now. The amount of crackheads outside sainsbury's is mental. Theres always about 5 or 6 of them loitering around. 

I can't believe the amount of homeless people in the city centre at the moment. So many crackheads and alcoholics walking around. 

I work not far from there and it's increasingly like being on the set of The Wire.

It's been a bit grim ever since the Dawn Centre opened, but we're definitely in a phase of more messed up people being on the streets. It's kicking off outside my office window literally as I type

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If anybody knows where 'Bish' is, please tell the pissed up guy in the grey tracksuit near the station who keeps hollering his name at ear splitting volume and is doing everyone's heads in.

Thanks

By the sound of Bish's hollered but distant replies, he's somewhere off the London Road, further up. Sadly in the opposite direction to which tracksuit man is now headed