Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

On 26/06/2018 at 23:06, Rob1742 said:

Leicester has lost so much over the years, and only recently have we started to create decent new spaces to offset the painful losses.

1. Gallowtree Gate - not really the fault of the planners, but died as soon as The Highcross was created. A vibrant street of shoe shops, clothing shops and probably the busiest shopping street in Leicester. Very sad when you walk down there now, discount stores galore, pop up shops and just a desperate feel to it. Once a wonderful street to visit, but both the Highcross and the general demise of high street shopping has killed a great street. 

2. Highcross Street towards Woodgate - I think it is called Highcross Street? The a50 that was part of Highcross Street before the early 70’s changes. This road was stunning. Great store fascias, I think a Richard Roberts factory store was there. It just felt a really nice street leading up to a railway bridge with character. All been ripped apart, just one building remains and all character lost. The old railway station is nearby, plus a few other buildings and it’s such a shame this has been lost. 

Granby Street can’t have long left. As more and more retailers close, the ones on the outside will move more central and we will lose Granby Street as we knew it within a decade. 

Such a shame tag towns are changing in a negative way. Yes they will still be around, but smaller and many old trading streets will be lost.

Gallowtree gates demise is truly shocking but a problem faced by all City Centres.The amount of big stores going bust is only going to get bigger.I predict Debenhams to go next which will leave a huge hole in every town.

If I had a spare billion quid i would knock the entire Haymarket down including Belgrave Gate up to the island.Move any shops to the dying parts of town and build a gigantic square that could be used for a number of different things.

A big square is what we really lack and the mayor would love this.While were at it i would flatten Humberstone Gate and build flats lots and lots of flats.The taxi rank would have stay though.

I always stick up for Leicester and it’s not so bad [Highcross High Street the Lanes] Some of it though is dog rough.

The key will be how we deal with the centre in the coming years. As the poster above says, every centre is struggling with retail and that is something that is continuous.

We did some horrendous things to the City in the 60’s and 70’s, but I feel we have a much better chance of making the centre more appealing at the moment, with the likes of Soulsby doing the right things.

We will lose another 30/40% of retailers in the next ten years, so just looking at that shows we have a challenge on our hands.

All down to the council, the planners and the developers. It’s going to change, so will we make the right decisions.

We have a big ppportunity to bring people back into the centre as the changes happen. I for one rarely visit and choose to spend my hard earned elsewhere. But if they create new areas of leisure, little areas of bars and restaurants away from the poorer looking areas, they have a chance of bringing people back into the centre to spend their money.

Debenhams, I agree, there is no place for this in retail any longer. M&S clothing will disappear too, and another 20 years might see Next fold as they seem to be hanging on to their original customers they had 30 years ago, but the younger customers are no longer choosing it as an option.

20 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

The key will be how we deal with the centre in the coming years. As the poster above says, every centre is struggling with retail and that is something that is continuous.

We did some horrendous things to the City in the 60’s and 70’s, but I feel we have a much better chance of making the centre more appealing at the moment, with the likes of Soulsby doing the right things.

We will lose another 30/40% of retailers in the next ten years, so just looking at that shows we have a challenge on our hands.

All down to the council, the planners and the developers. It’s going to change, so will we make the right decisions.

We have a big ppportunity to bring people back into the centre as the changes happen. I for one rarely visit and choose to spend my hard earned elsewhere. But if they create new areas of leisure, little areas of bars and restaurants away from the poorer looking areas, they have a chance of bringing people back into the centre to spend their money.

Debenhams, I agree, there is no place for this in retail any longer. M&S clothing will disappear too, and another 20 years might see Next fold as they seem to be hanging on to their original customers they had 30 years ago, but the younger customers are no longer choosing it as an option.

Next through it’s investment in joules , crew and other emerging lifestyle asperational clothing labels is in a very strong position , but I agree it’s high street model is dying as is M+S , they will all go the the BHS way eventually , I would like to see the city council to give bars and restaurants who are independent a serious rates cut , this would encourage the centre to regenerate as a leisure destination and encourage smaller more continental feel outlets , would love to see a pop up zone with suport and mentoring for emerging new businesses 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

Next through it’s investment in joules , crew and other emerging lifestyle asperational clothing labels is in a very strong position , but I agree it’s high street model is dying as is M+S , they will all go the the BHS way eventually , I would like to see the city council to give bars and restaurants who are independent a serious rates cut , this would encourage the centre to regenerate as a leisure destination and encourage smaller more continental feel outlets , would love to see a pop up zone with suport and mentoring for emerging new businesses 

Totally agree, there needs to be incentives for entrepreneurs to open in the City, and only creative independents will create a unique environment for us to visit.

Going to be a tough time for landlords to, as rents must come down to ensure smaller businesses can thrive. But I have looked at some commercial buildings, and the returns aren’t great, and now they come with great risks.

The council must hold their nerve and ensure key commercial properties in the very heart of our City maintain their retail status, as landlords look to sell for flats etc, which is what is likely to happen.

• Like 1

Dunno how I feel about this. If this attracts more investment to that part of the city then maybe it's worth spending a bit of public cash on? There is a definite shortage of decent, afforable hotel beds in the city centre.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/debate-over-plan-spend-10m-1723224#ICID=ios_leicestermercury_ios_AppShare_Click_TWshare

On 02/07/2018 at 11:08, Voll Blau said:

Dunno how I feel about this. If this attracts more investment to that part of the city then maybe it's worth spending a bit of public cash on? There is a definite shortage of decent, afforable hotel beds in the city centre.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/debate-over-plan-spend-10m-1723224#ICID=ios_leicestermercury_ios_AppShare_Click_TWshare

I can’t decide either. I also didn’t know it could actually happen? I wonder whether any of the hotels near the Highcross Car Park would have received such incentives too? 

I know now that the developer sometimes has to invest in the area to enable a development to go through, like new road lay outs etc near new large retail stores etc. But I didn’t think we would pay someone to put their hotel in the City. 

Holly's around the corner from there do decent sandwiches (they're granary bread is second to none). If you're thinking something a little more fancy Let Bistrot Pierre do really reasonably priced lunch menus and I've never had a bad meal in there.

32 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

St Martin's cafe is a good if obvious option

Been there love it

12 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Jones' on Queens Rd if you can be arsed to go that far is very good

Too far this time but deffo wanna go

Life saving hubs with defibrillators and phone charging points could come to Leicester in £2.5m plan
The kiosks would record air pollution and pedestrian numbers too

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
05:00, 12 JUL 2018UPDATED08:04, 12 JUL 2018

‘Smart street furniture’ including defibrillators, mobile phone charging points, and air pollution monitors could be installed across Leicester city centre.

London-based firm Pulse Smart Hub says it wants to spend £2.5 million putting a series of units up in city streets.

The company wants planning permission for 24 of the 2.5 metre high structures.

They would offer free public WiFi, a public phone, emergency buttons to call 999 and access to maps and local information on touch screens.

Other proposed features include sensors that capture data on air quality, traffic flow, and pedestrian numbers which could be used by Leicester City Council.

A defibrillator would be available to help people who suffer a cardiac arrest and Pulse Smart Hub will pay for residents and workers close to the hubs to have training sessions to use them – though the firm says they could be used by anyone.

Planning applications for the 24 smart hubs will be considered by the council this month and if they are improved the first hub will be installed in the spring.

The devices have already been installed in Belfast and if the Leicester scheme is approved, the intelligent kiosks would be the first of their kind on a high street in England.

The maintenance of the "smart street furniture" would be funded via digital advertising, which would be displayed on the hubs at no cost to the public purse.

Pulse Smart Hub chief executive officer Patrick Fisher said: “We have been working to ensure the Pulse Smart Hub network supports Leicester City Council’s strategic vision for smart cities and that the benefits to the city and its residents are truly maximized and available free to all.”

"In the age of the Smart City, street furniture must do more to earn its place on the High Street.

“At no cost to the public or taxpayer, the Pulse Smart Hub is the smartest of smart furniture."

Hubs are proposed at various locations including Jubilee Square, the Highcross shopping centre, High Street, Gallowtree Gate, Humberstone Gate and the railway station.

BT has already been granted permission to install a number of similar InLink kiosks around the city.

Mr Fisher said: “We consider that our product will complement BT by providing additional functionality and services not currently available in the city centre.

“We have carefully surveyed the city and chosen sites which are not in close proximity to BT’s existing and proposed sites, would not add to existing street clutter, and are suitable from a planning and highways perspective.

“We consider that the city centre can comfortably accommodate both proposals.”

These new Leicestershire speed cameras will be switched on within weeks
The Leicestershire County Council devices will track the average speed of drivers as part of a £500k trial scheme

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
09:00, 14 JUL 2018

New average speed cameras are appearing on Leicestershire’s roads in an attempt to stop drivers flouting the limits.

Leicestershire County Council is putting the devices up in seven speeding hotspots as part of a 12-month, £500,000 trial scheme.

The cameras are now being placed at the roadsides but will not be switched on until September.

A County Hall spokesman said: “We are currently working to complete the installation of the average speed cameras across the county.

“While some of the cameras have been installed, there is more work to be done to ensure the cameras are fully compliant and enforceable by the police.

"We anticipate that enforcement for all seven sites will begin early September.

“When the cameras are in operation, warning signs will be displayed temporarily for motorists.”

Average speed cameras track a driver's speed over a distance, not just at the location of a single camera.

Drivers caught speeding by the cameras will be given a £100 fixed penalty fine and three points on their licence.

Where will the cameras be?
B4114 Coventry Road and Leicester Road, Sharnford

A4303 Lutterworth Road, Walcote

A6 Harborough Road and Glen Road, Oadby

A50 Leicester Road, Markfield Road, Bradgate Hill, Groby

Burton Road, Measham

Beacon Road, Woodhouse Eaves

B676 Saxby Road, Wyfordby, Freeby

New average speed cameras on the B114 at Sharnford in Leicestershire (Image: Peter Fothergill)

One of the new cameras on the B4114 in Sharnford (Image: Peter Fothergill)
Following the trial, the authority will look to widen out the camera programme if the Government allows it to keep some of the cash generated by the cameras.

Currently, money generated through camera fines are retained by the Treasury.

But the county council has asked the Government to consider allowing this revenue to be retained by local authorities to cover the capital cost of the average speed cameras, after which the revenue would revert to Government.

This would allow further roll-outs of this type of enforcement measure across the county.

A controversial £5 million plan to open up Leicester’s Putney Road to through traffic is to go ahead – despite concerns voiced by people who live nearby.

Leicester City Council wants open the blocked Aylestone Road end of the 300-metre route to create a link right through to Welford Road.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-city-council-open-putney-1782936

23 hours ago, davieG said:

A controversial £5 million plan to open up Leicester’s Putney Road to through traffic is to go ahead – despite concerns voiced by people who live nearby.

Leicester City Council wants open the blocked Aylestone Road end of the 300-metre route to create a link right through to Welford Road.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-city-council-open-putney-1782936

Can't believe this didn't happen years ago. Makes sense to divert traffic through an industrial area with, match days excepted, few pedestrians.

3 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Can't believe this didn't happen years ago. Makes sense to divert traffic through an industrial area with, match days excepted, few pedestrians.

Those on Victoria Park Rd protested and still do. 

It's rumoured to be part of an overall plan to close University Rd and build a link road through Evesham Rd

Just now, davieG said:

Those on Victoria Park Rd protested and still do. 

It's rumoured to be part of an overall plan to close University Rd and build a link road through Evesham Rd

Link to Evesham road also should have been done years ago. That would help the flow of traffic on the Narborough road going towards Upperton road.

Direct trains from Leicester to Coventry and more trains to Birmingham under rail plan
Plan would see 6 million more train journeys in the Midlands

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
11:17, 16 JUL 2018UPDATED11:19, 16 JUL 2018
e
Direct trains between Leicester and Coventry could be introduced if a plan to increase rail services in the Midlands goes ahead.

The number of trains per hour between Birmingham and Nottingham, Birmingham and Leicester, and Birmingham and Hereford would double, and hourly services between Birmingham and Derby would increase from four to six.

If everything proposed in the plan went ahead, there would be six million more individual train journeys each year in the Midlands.

Midlands Connect, which is behind the 20-year plan, says the scheme could boost the region’s economy by £649 million. The organisation works in collaboration with central government and brings together local authorities and local enterprise partnerships from across the Midlands.

Currently, Leicester and Coventry are the largest two cities in such close proximity in the country without a direct rail service.

The proposal could see two trains an hour between the cities by 2026, subject to further route development work and the business case being approved.

The plan would also see a shift of £22 billion worth of freight from the roads to the railways according to the report, titled Our Routes to Growth.

Sir Peter Soulsby, Leicester's city mayor and chairman of transport for the East Midlands, said: “Improved connectivity by both rail and road between the Midlands’ cities and towns is vital to enable the regional economy to grow and for its full potential to be realised.

“The plans could transform the way we do business, with 16 additional trains an hour between the East and West Midlands, including restoring direct services between Coventry and Leicester, and significantly faster journey times, too.

“The case for investment is clear cut; these improvements will allow more people and freight to travel on the Midlands’ railways, with big economic benefits for the whole region in the process.”

With four of the UK’s five main rail freight routes passing through the Midlands, it is proposed that the Rail Hub, as the project is known, would also benefit businesses by significantly increasing rail freight capacity, with 36 new paths per day shifting the equivalent of 4,320 lorries every day from the roads to the railways – more than five times the additional daily freight capacity of HS2.

Midlands Connect is working with partners including Network Rail, West Midlands Rail Executive, Transport for West Midlands and Transport for the East Midlands to develop the proposals.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling MP said the plans "captured the extraordinary economic potential and ambition of the Midlands Engine – focused on driving forward growth, creating new jobs and delivering better journeys for passengers across the region".

The Midlands Engine is a coalition of councils, business bodies and others that is working with the Government to make the Midlands a "competitive and compelling offer that is attractive at home and overseas".

Mr Grayling added: "This is why the Government has invested £5m to help develop the Midlands Rail Hub.

“It is excellent to see Midlands Connect are committed to maximising the significant benefits to connectivity and capacity HS2 offers, as well as ensuring we capitalise on the biggest modernisation of the rail network since the Victorian era. The Government will continue to work with Midlands Connect to develop these proposals to help ensure the region has the transport system it needs for a prosperous future.”

Sir John Peace, chairman of Midlands Connect and Midlands Engine, added: “Improving East-West connectivity and access to HS2 services are top priorities for Midlands Connect.

“The Midlands Rail Hub proposals can bring our great towns and cities closer together and accelerate the massive job creation we’re seeing all over the region. The potential to greatly increase the amount of rail freight running through the region is also a big opportunity to make the most of the released capacity from HS2 and reduce the amount of freight on our already congested roads.

“The initiatives outlined in our report are based on thorough research and detailed studies to identify which projects will give the greatest returns to rail passengers, road users and most importantly, the regional and national economies. Britain needs a transport infrastructure that delivers more jobs, a better quality of life and attracts greater international investment.”

Now Leicester City Council has published its draft statement of accounts for the 2017/18 financial year – all 140 pages of it - and it offers a glimpse of the work that goes on at City Hall and the pressures it faces as it grapples with austerity.

We've picked out some of the key numbers.

Two points about cuts

1) The amount the council estimates it has lost £110 million in annual Government funding since Austerity began in 2010/11;

2) More than half (55 per cent) of the council’s total annual spending that goes on adult social care and children’s services. This has risen from 36 per cent in 2010. Despite overall budget cuts the demand on services to help young and elderly vulnerable people is increasing.

Spending
3) The council spent £107 million on capital projects in the city during the period;

4) The figure includes £24.4 million on city centre improvements, transport schemes and the Waterside Regeneration Area;

5) It also includes £18.9 million on expanding the city’s schools;

6) The council has a total of £225 million tied up in investments;

7) The sum of the council’s long-term borrowing is £234 million.

Tax take
8) The council seeks to collect £121 million in council tax each year;

9) It also aims to gather £101 million in business rates as well as £77 million in rent from council houses.

The workers
10) There are 12,755 employees on the city council’s books, including teaching staff, at the end of the financial year (March 31, 2018.) That’s 1,329 fewer than the number of staff 12 months previously;

11) Accounts show £21 million was cut from the council’s wage bill between 2014/14 and 2017/18 – when it stood at £152.9 million;

12) The top earning officer at the city council is chief operating officer Andy Keeling. He was paid £130,048;

13) The average staff wage was £24,174.

Council owns quite a lot
14) The value of property, roads and other infrastructure, and equipment owned by the council stood at £2.4 billion. This includes parks and Leicester Castle.

15) The property portfolio also included 20,759 council homes and 69 schools.

What's in the bank?
16) The council has £15 million of uncommitted general reserves in its coffers which it can draw on in emergencies.;

17) It also has £168 million of reserves committed for specific purposes. This includes £12 million for school building schemes and £41 million for its approved capital spending scheme this financial year and in 2019/20;

18) Further to this, it had £21.8 million to support its managed reserves strategy – to reduce the pace of spending cuts. All of that money will have been spent by 2019/20.

The pensions deficit
19) The council says its share of a wider local government pension scheme, managed by Leicestershire County Council, has a ‘ significant deficit’ of £634 million. That’s the difference between the expected returns on investments and the cost of providing benefits to scheme members earned to date.

Complaints
20) The document shows 920 complaints were made to the council during the year, down from 1,555 the year before. A quarter of the complaints were found to be partially or wholly justified after investigation;

21) Most complaints were about the ‘quality and speed’ of service. The majority related to housing repairs and council tax;

22) The council received £13,000 in commercial rents from two businesses whose senior management included councillors or close family members. They have not been identified.

The decision-makers
23) There are 54 city councillors and Sir Peter Soulsby to make up the political numbers on the council. Most are Labour. There are just two opposition members – Tory lord mayor Ross Grand and Lib Dem Nigel Porter;

24) In all they were paid £1,020,244 in allowances and expenses;

Top earners' table
25) There were 312 city council staff were paid more than £50,000;

26) The council terminated the employment of 299 employees in 2017/18 and agreed severance packages totalling £4,501,952. The largest package was £133,774.

An eye on the past
27) There are more than two million exhibits in the city’s museums collection - and they have a value in excess of £100 million;

28) The council owns £5.9 million worth of statues and monuments.;

29) A £62,400 bronze of suffragette Alice Hawkins was unveiled earlier this year.

PFI liabilities
30) The council has long-term liabilities of £77 million in the form of private finance initiative (PFI) schemes for schools, the waste recycling centre and Combined Heat and Power (CHP) infrastructure, and finance leases;

31) The council is 16 years through a 25-year PFI contract with Biffa, to dispose of Leicester's domestic waste. The deal is worth £300 million.

Pressures on social housing
32) Right to Buy receipts from sales of council dwellings amounted to £18.6 million.

Write-offs

33) The council wrote off £1.2 million of council tax arrears in 2017/18 and £1.4 million of unpaid business rates. It tries to pursue all debts but some are irrecoverable such as those left by companies that have gone bust. The cost of trying to collect others outweighs the sum owed.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Direct trains from Leicester to Coventry and more trains to Birmingham under rail plan
Plan would see 6 million more train journeys in the Midlands

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
11:17, 16 JUL 2018UPDATED11:19, 16 JUL 2018
e
Direct trains between Leicester and Coventry could be introduced if a plan to increase rail services in the Midlands goes ahead.

The number of trains per hour between Birmingham and Nottingham, Birmingham and Leicester, and Birmingham and Hereford would double, and hourly services between Birmingham and Derby would increase from four to six.

If everything proposed in the plan went ahead, there would be six million more individual train journeys each year in the Midlands.

Midlands Connect, which is behind the 20-year plan, says the scheme could boost the region’s economy by £649 million. The organisation works in collaboration with central government and brings together local authorities and local enterprise partnerships from across the Midlands.

Currently, Leicester and Coventry are the largest two cities in such close proximity in the country without a direct rail service.

The proposal could see two trains an hour between the cities by 2026, subject to further route development work and the business case being approved.

The plan would also see a shift of £22 billion worth of freight from the roads to the railways according to the report, titled Our Routes to Growth.

Sir Peter Soulsby, Leicester's city mayor and chairman of transport for the East Midlands, said: “Improved connectivity by both rail and road between the Midlands’ cities and towns is vital to enable the regional economy to grow and for its full potential to be realised.

“The plans could transform the way we do business, with 16 additional trains an hour between the East and West Midlands, including restoring direct services between Coventry and Leicester, and significantly faster journey times, too.

“The case for investment is clear cut; these improvements will allow more people and freight to travel on the Midlands’ railways, with big economic benefits for the whole region in the process.”

With four of the UK’s five main rail freight routes passing through the Midlands, it is proposed that the Rail Hub, as the project is known, would also benefit businesses by significantly increasing rail freight capacity, with 36 new paths per day shifting the equivalent of 4,320 lorries every day from the roads to the railways – more than five times the additional daily freight capacity of HS2.

Midlands Connect is working with partners including Network Rail, West Midlands Rail Executive, Transport for West Midlands and Transport for the East Midlands to develop the proposals.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling MP said the plans "captured the extraordinary economic potential and ambition of the Midlands Engine – focused on driving forward growth, creating new jobs and delivering better journeys for passengers across the region".

The Midlands Engine is a coalition of councils, business bodies and others that is working with the Government to make the Midlands a "competitive and compelling offer that is attractive at home and overseas".

Mr Grayling added: "This is why the Government has invested £5m to help develop the Midlands Rail Hub.

“It is excellent to see Midlands Connect are committed to maximising the significant benefits to connectivity and capacity HS2 offers, as well as ensuring we capitalise on the biggest modernisation of the rail network since the Victorian era. The Government will continue to work with Midlands Connect to develop these proposals to help ensure the region has the transport system it needs for a prosperous future.”

Sir John Peace, chairman of Midlands Connect and Midlands Engine, added: “Improving East-West connectivity and access to HS2 services are top priorities for Midlands Connect.

“The Midlands Rail Hub proposals can bring our great towns and cities closer together and accelerate the massive job creation we’re seeing all over the region. The potential to greatly increase the amount of rail freight running through the region is also a big opportunity to make the most of the released capacity from HS2 and reduce the amount of freight on our already congested roads.

“The initiatives outlined in our report are based on thorough research and detailed studies to identify which projects will give the greatest returns to rail passengers, road users and most importantly, the regional and national economies. Britain needs a transport infrastructure that delivers more jobs, a better quality of life and attracts greater international investment.”

That's all very nice but I'm struggling to think of a reason why anyone would want to go from Leicester to Coventry.

2 minutes ago, boots60 said:

That's all very nice but I'm struggling to think of a reason why anyone would want to go from Leicester to Coventry.

Cov to Leicester - Single :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Work starts on new development on site of Leicester's former York Street car park
“This allows York Street to become a quieter residential street in character by limiting car traffic"

ByAdrian Troughton
04:00, 9 AUG 2018UPDATED09:47, 9 AUG 2018

Work has started on a new seven-storey block of student flats on a former car park in Leicester city centre.

Diggers have moved in and started preparation work on the site for the 134-flat complex at the old York Street car park which is just off Granby Street.

The car park, which was situated on a patch of land between York Road and Chatham Street, was accessed via York Street.

The new block of flats, which is being built by Square Developments Leicester Ltd, will not have vehicle access. The complex will have pedestrian access through an entrance on York Street.

The complex will be next to the recently completed Aria Apartments which is made up of 95 self-contained flats, rising to seven storeys.

In a document submitted to Leicester City Council, the developers said: “The scale of the development matches that of the structures that bookend the site whole not overwhelming the street.

“Main access to the site remains from York Street, however, the proposed entrance is for pedestrian only.

How the student flats on York Street will look
How the student flats on York Street will look (Image: Square Developments Leicester Ltd)
“There is no vehicular provision as the site is within a five-minute walk to rail and bus services from Leicester station as well as being a two-minute walk to a bus stop on Charles Street.

“This allows York Street to become a quieter residential street in character by limiting car traffic and respecting existing residential development.”

How the student flats on York Street will look

Another exciting thought provoking elegant eye catching design.