Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MONreborn

Reality Check

So the mood on this forum appears negative because it appears out owners are tightening the ropes. The reasons why have been discussed to death. FFP or not I think our fans need a reality check. Look at how well we have spent when we had money (Akinbiyi, Mills, Beckford). Yes we have had our longest period ever out of the top flight but a little patience for a couple of seasons is all we need now. The nucleus is there. This reminds me of the Brian little era Pearson has got us to two play offs now and I think within the next two years he will get us up. I'm just glad we are now competing up there after the bollox between 04-08 and 10-12. The ONLY succeed we have had in the 9 seasons since Micky Adams have been in the 3 full seasons pearson has had. So everyone get off his back, enjoy your holidays, have a beer and trust him to get it right again! COYB

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but people seriously, seriously under-estimate how much of a cock up the 2011/12 season was. It wasn't a season where you can just go "ah well, we under-achieved", we spent absolutely ridiculous money that year and didn't even make the play-offs. We had the highest wage budget in the league except for West Ham who not only went up, but had only just come down and they were well set to be a solid Premier League side. Effectively, we were only outspent by a side that were far too big for that league, to achieve nothing, to be left with average players who joined us for the money.

I wish we could draw a line under that season but the fact is we just can't. With FFP coming in, those players have to go - and whilst it hits everyone in this league and not just us, who the hell is going to sign them?

I'd be giving Pearson another year myself. He isn't an idiot.

The priority is getting rid of players.

Gallagher, Wellens, Beckford, Danns and SSL are all on silly money and in the process of being shipped.

Replace these with players on more sensible wages and we're cooking with gas. Note this doesn't mean inferior players either, Knockaert's wages are a fraction of Gallagher's by all accounts. We all know who we'd rather see in the starting XI.

The priority is getting rid of players.

Gallagher, Wellens, Beckford, Danns and SSL are all on silly money and in the process of being shipped.

Replace these with players on more sensible wages and we're cooking with gas. Note this doesn't mean inferior players either, Knockaert's wages are a fraction of Gallagher's by all accounts. We all know who we'd rather see in the starting XI.

I know who I'd prefer to take a pen! (Only joking)

Spend money off the pitch see the benefits on the pitch.

These last 10 years have been pretty schizophrenic. No discernible style of play from match to match let alone year to year for much of it, transfer policies which swung from car boot bargains to hoarding.

Now we've spent our selves into a corner with yet more short termism.

I actually think a lot of fans' expectations are too low. We are about to enter this club's longest period outside the top tier in its history.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, that is unacceptable. If poxy clubs like Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Norwich and until recently, Wigan can do it easily enough then why not us.

The pressure on the club and its staff to get promoted will only increase with every year we spend outside the top division, and rightly so. We shouldn't settle for mediocrity and be content with getting close but not close enough.

Any player or staff member who can't deal with that pressure should head off up to Derby, where mediocrity is positively embraced. This club however, is better than that. There is nothing wrong with ambition. We should embrace it, not use it as an excuse.

I actually think a lot of fans' expectations are too low. We are about to enter this club's longest period outside the top tier in its history.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, that is unacceptable. If poxy clubs like Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Norwich and until recently, Wigan can do it easily enough then why not us.

The pressure on the club and its staff to get promoted will only increase with every year we spend outside the top division, and rightly so. We shouldn't settle for mediocrity and be content with getting close but not close enough.

Any player or staff member who can't deal with that pressure should head off up to Derby, where mediocrity is positively embraced. This club however, is better than that. There is nothing wrong with ambition. We should embrace it, not use it as an excuse.

One of the most sensible posts I've read in ages.

And I fully agree.

The excuses/reasons given by our fans for non-success in years demonstrates a bunch of people who, for some reason, seem to be satisfied with mediocrity?

I see LCFC as a big club. We have a smashing stadium, a big fan base and have spent more money (albeit very unwisely under Sven) than any other club at this level.

We have a very highly paid manager, wealthy owners and are steeped in tradition and history.

Having been raised on City when Little and MON were at the helm, these last 10/11 years have been basically rubbish in comparison.

Yet it's so readily accepted. Even the dramatic u-turn in performances last season was, by many, readily accepted.

We are a bigger and better club in my eyes than one that has been out of top flight football for so so long. The problem I have is that I don't envisage Pearson and his squad turning this around. I'd love to think so, but I don't.

There's no point now, in my eyes, bringing in yet another manager. I give Pearson one more season. But this doesn't mean I'm particularly optimistic about our chances next season.

Reality check.---We are not good enough to gain promotion. I can give a whole list of reasons, but it's all been said before.

Nobody listens mate. It's lalalalalala fingers in ears Pearson worship on here by 90%.

You could log-out for a year then back in again. We'll still be in the Championship (or worse) and they'll still be backing the tactical genius that is Coco. 

Nobody listens mate. It's lalalalalala fingers in ears Pearson worship on here by 90%.

You could log-out for a year then back in again. We'll still be in the Championship (or worse) and they'll still be backing the tactical genius that is Coco. 

What would everybody hating Pearson on here achieve? It's not like any of us have the power to decide his fate.

Do us all a favour and log out for a year then :thumbup:

Oh and take DANGEROUS TITHEAD with you.

One of the most sensible posts I've read in ages.

And I fully agree.

The excuses/reasons given by our fans for non-success in years demonstrates a bunch of people who, for some reason, seem to be satisfied with mediocrity?

I see LCFC as a big club. We have a smashing stadium, a big fan base and have spent more money (albeit very unwisely under Sven) than any other club at this level.

We have a very highly paid manager, wealthy owners and are steeped in tradition and history.

Having been raised on City when Little and MON were at the helm, these last 10/11 years have been basically rubbish in comparison.

Yet it's so readily accepted. Even the dramatic u-turn in performances last season was, by many, readily accepted.

We are a bigger and better club in my eyes than one that has been out of top flight football for so so long. The problem I have is that I don't envisage Pearson and his squad turning this around. I'd love to think so, but I don't.

There's no point now, in my eyes, bringing in yet another manager. I give Pearson one more season. But this doesn't mean I'm particularly optimistic about our chances next season.

There in a nut shell is why i think Pearson is still somehow held in such high esteem on here.

If you go onto Bentleys roof, where the posters are in the main, a fair bit older, you will be hard pressed to find anyone with a good word to say about Pearson.

That, in my opinion, is because they, and me for that matter, have seen the Bloomfield, Little and O`Neil eras.

Some go back even further, to the days of Matt Gillies, and the great team from the sixties, and so what we are seeing now, in comparison with what we seen before, is average at best and clearly not good enough.

I think, in the main, that the majority of people who post on here, are younger, and maybe have known hardly any really good times, and so winning the 3rd division, achieving a play off place the following year, and scraping into the play offs this season , after what was one of the worst runs in the clubs history, is deemed as an achievement and one we should readily accept.

Personally, my ambitions for my club, are more than scraping a play off spot, and  i believe with a different manager, we could have been promoted this season, from what was a pretty piss poor division, in all honesty.

I hope i am proved wrong, but i don`t believe i will be, but i just don`t believe Pearson is good enough to take us to the next level.

The only thing i see Pearson having going for him, is the fact he has Steve Walsh senior scouting for him, and he does seem to know how to spot a player, although a few months under the leadership of Pearson does seem to knock their undoubted potential back a bit.

There in a nut shell is why i think Pearson is still somehow held in such high esteem on here.

If you go onto Bentleys roof, where the posters are in the main, a fair bit older, you will be hard pressed to find anyone with a good word to say about Pearson anything/anyone.

That, in my opinion, is because they, and me for that matter, have seen the Bloomfield, Little and O`Neil eras.

Some go back even further, to the days of Matt Gillies, and the great team from the sixties, and so what we are seeing now, in comparison with what we seen before, is average at best and clearly not good enough.

I think, in the main, that the majority of people who post on here, are younger, and maybe have known hardly any really good times, and so winning the 3rd division, achieving a play off place the following year, and scraping into the play offs this season , after what was one of the worst runs in the clubs history, is deemed as an achievement and one we should readily accept.

Personally, my ambitions for my club, are more than scraping a play off spot, and  i believe with a different manager, we could have been promoted this season, from what was a pretty piss poor division, in all honesty.

I hope i am proved wrong, but i don`t believe i will be, but i just don`t believe Pearson is good enough to take us to the next level.

The only thing i see Pearson having going for him, is the fact he has Steve Walsh senior scouting for him, and he does seem to know how to spot a player, although a few months under the leadership of Pearson does seem to knock their undoubted potential back a bit.

Fixed.  :thumbup:

If you go onto Bentleys roof, where the posters are in the main, a fair bit older, you will be hard pressed to find anyone with a good word to say about Pearson.

Absolutely spot on! It's become pointless trying to reason with the fans happy with this Pearson tripe getting served up these days.

I don't see it like that!  How much would it cost in compensation to get rid of Pearson?  How much compensation  would we have to pay for a new manager?  I don't see much in the way of unemployed managers out there, and no O'Neill wouldn't come back even if he was wanted. All this money can be used by Pearson strengthening the team if he doesn't make the grade then this time next year his contract expires so he goes anyway. A new manager would still be building his team in 12 months time.

The one thing the fans can do is to be united in their support for all the team.

I personally don't think changing the manager would be productive again...our best bet is to stick with Pearson and hope we keep improving gradually. Possibly only me that thinks that but chopping and changing managers hasn't worked!!!

Reality Check but dreams can come true

Financial Fair Play is designed to make clubs live within their means. If it avoids going into administration I think its a good thing.

Our Thai owners are honourable people and wouldn't it be nice for a manager to complete his contract.

I honestly think that the football we have seen this season has been attractive, attack minded and thoroughly entertaining.

No team gets all its own way in this division. Our young team will get better the longer they are together with the right additions we could even go for the title and if we did we would equal Man City as the team that has won this division the most times.

Reality Check but dreams can come true

Financial Fair Play is designed to make clubs live within their means. If it avoids going into administration I think its a good thing.

Our Thai owners are honourable people and wouldn't it be nice for a manager to complete his contract.

I honestly think that the football we have seen this season has been attractive, attack minded and thoroughly entertaining.

No team gets all its own way in this division. Our young team will get better the longer they are together with the right additions we could even go for the title and if we did we would equal Man City as the team that has won this division the most times.

Pure speculation....

How do you know they'll get better?

I never thought I'd see Ben Marshall, for example, have the season he's just had.

And I liked Drinkwater who, over the course of a season became more of a liability.

Good young players can lose what they appeared to have.

For the first time in years, I'm glad we haven't signed any fancy names as of yet.

I trust the manager and the board to set all gears in motion to assemble a solid squad with little to no "stars" and to release unwanted players at a reasonable asking price (given the fact that FFP is probably acting as one big scare for most other clubs, forcing them to think twice and spend their cash in meaningful ways).

You need unity, poise and promise. We have a great core of players, let's build around them.

What would everybody hating Pearson on here achieve? It's not like any of us have the power to decide his fate.

That's true but that does not mean we can't have our very own reality check and say Pearson is not the man to take us to the Premiership. I thought that is what forums are all about ?

Archived