Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

One-Day cricket 2013 thread

No excuses, abysmal finish.

Needed 20 from 16, wickets in hand, Sharma throwing it all over the place. Yet another final in which we've choked.

This.  Just like in 2004, England sensationally snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and thus our woeful record in finals continue.

Saying that, limited overs cricket has ALWAYS been a secondary concern for us behind test cricket, especially so this year with back to back Ashes series which is all that matters for England and Australia.  The fact that we make finals is a real bonus.

Also, as for the entire ground failing the Tebbit test, it is probably worth noting that Birmingham probably has enough Indian nationals on tourist/student visas to fill Edgbaston twice over, plus lets be honest their passion for limited over cricket is infinitely larger than ours so I really wouldn't let it be an issue.

I agree that Test cricket will always be number one priority, but it's shameful that we haven't won an international 50-over tournament in our history.

We should have two Champions Trophy's to our name. But if we keep the Ashes then it's a successful summer.

I agree that Test cricket will always be number one priority, but it's shameful that we haven't won an international 50-over tournament in our history.

We should have two Champions Trophy's to our name. But if we keep the Ashes then it's a successful summer.

Exactly, never really been that bothered about any other form of cricket when compared to the Ashes.

People can't help themselves with the 'racism' claims. Like purpleronnie said, where has anyone called you racist for that?

I'm not gonna call you racist for what you said - I'll just counter the comment by saying that I've always supported India. Simple as that. Where do you even have the proof to back up that there are 'British Indian glory fans'? 

As for grown-up cricket, if you can't even with at non-grown-up cricket, it hardly makes you any better, does it?

It's well documented that India have been the best side this tournament. If you'd won this tournament, would it be called grown up cricket because you were victorious? Or are you just bitter that you lost? (towards Bobby Hundreds).

People can't help themselves with the 'racism' claims. Like purpleronnie said, where has anyone called you racist for that?

I'm not gonna call you racist for what you said - I'll just counter the comment by saying that I've always supported India. Simple as that. Where do you even have the proof to back up that there are 'British Indian glory fans'? 

As for grown-up cricket, if you can't even with at non-grown-up cricket, it hardly makes you any better, does it?

It's well documented that India have been the best side this tournament. If you'd won this tournament, would it be called grown up cricket because you were victorious? Or are you just bitter that you lost? (towards Bobby Hundreds).

I personally wouldn't.  It would have been something nice to win for sure, the only reason people are upset about the defeat is that we are able to consistently choke when we have cruised into a match winning position.

But any-who, its going to be an amazing summer of cricket  :englandsmile4wf:

Yeah of course I'm bothered, but we smashed India recently home and away in the tests which I'd much prefer. India were the best team in this tournament, but we should've won that final comfortably.

I personally wouldn't.  It would have been something nice to win for sure, the only reason people are upset about the defeat is that we are able to consistently choke when we have cruised into a match winning position.

But any-who, its going to be an amazing summer of cricket  :englandsmile4wf:

I understand that it would have been nice to win. I understand that and can understand that England fans are desperately disappointed that another chance has gone. 

What I don't appreciate is comments like Bobby Hundreds'. And no, that is not calling you racist before people jump on that bandwagon. It's just saying that there are certain ways to show you're disappointed and going for the bitterness route doesn't show you in good light. And that's on top of belittling the competition. If it was so little in your eyes, why get so worked up about it? Why care about it at all if it's not 'grown-up cricket'?

You deserved the tests. You won that because you were better than us. It's a shame you can't let other nations have their moments of glory without belittling them or the competition they won. I hardly think the England players would take the competition as lightly as you do.

I understand that it would have been nice to win. I understand that and can understand that England fans are desperately disappointed that another chance has gone. 

What I don't appreciate is comments like Bobby Hundreds'. And no, that is not calling you racist before people jump on that bandwagon. It's just saying that there are certain ways to show you're disappointed and going for the bitterness route doesn't show you in good light. And that's on top of belittling the competition. If it was so little in your eyes, why get so worked up about it? Why care about it at all if it's not 'grown-up cricket'?

You deserved the tests. You won that because you were better than us. It's a shame you can't let other nations have their moments of glory without belittling them or the competition they won. I hardly think the England players would take the competition as lightly as you do.

Who is denying India their moment of glory? They are far more passionate about ODI cricket and dedicate much more time to it, and therefore overall they deserve their success.  People are just angry at the manner in which we lost another final.  It would be weird to just shrug that off  :) .

BTW don't really know what you're on about with regards to the racism thing.

Who is denying India their moment of glory? They are far more passionate about ODI cricket and dedicate much more time to it, and therefore overall they deserve their success.  People are just angry at the manner in which we lost another final.  It would be weird to just shrug that off  :) .

BTW don't really know what you're on about with regards to the racism thing.

Bobby Hundreds and his 'grown-up' comments as well as the British Indian 'glory' fans. 

The racism stuff refers to comments further up. Not towards you :).

Winning the Ashes in 2005 meant infinitely more to me than the T20 World Cup. I'm annoyed that we couldn't chase down 20 in 16 balls, I'm annoyed Bell was given out despite reasonable doubt. But tomorrow will begin the build up to the Ashes (containing some knock about T20s with NZ which are all a bit if fun), so this result for me will be forgotten in a matter of hours.

Good for you. Again, I understand The Ashes means more to you. I'm sure you're not alone in that thinking.

But I don't buy this belief that one-day tournaments (50-over or T20) aren't 'real cricket'. Perhaps less traditional, but it's cricket nonetheless. I love all forms of the game, all for different reasons. 

Guest MattP

The more you watch us in finals the more it won't surprise you.

It wasn't as bad as the Windies one in 2004 but I still can't believe it.

Morgan and Bopara need shooting for the way they threw their wickets away.

It wasn't as bad as the Windies one in 2004 but I still can't believe it.

Morgan and Bopara need shooting for the way they threw their wickets away.

I didn't realise how wide the ball was for Morgan's wicket as I was listening on the radio but having seen it, it was a ****ing travesty of a shot.

Bopara's wasn't much better.

Buttler :doh:

Guest MattP

Playing New Zealand in a T20 now.

Don't think I ever been less up for an England match in my life. Not even bothered.

Guest MattP

Looking at the score I dont think I'll watch england batting.

Knowing Bopara and Morgan they take us off home tonight needing 50 off 16 rather than 20.

Archived