Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

One-Day cricket 2013 thread

If we bowl like we did yesterday (albeit with Swann back in), we can beat anybody, including India.

Personally I think India will beat us, yes we bowled well yesterday, but New Zealand gifted up regular wickets. If the ball isn't moving then we don't have the bowlers to cause problems. I still stand by what I said before the kiwi innings, if a player gets in then they can score big against our attack as it is always the same, Mills nearly won it for them, because we don't vary it up. You never see Anderson send down a well disguised slow ball, or broad nailing a decent yorker, it is always line and length stuff with the odd bouncer. I'm not saying bring back Dernbach, but imagine how uncertain the batsmen will be if jimmy and co had these extra balls in their armoury.

Unless we can take wickets India will post a massive score.

What are the odds of us facing India? Do Sri Lanka need a better run rate to go above us or will it just come down to the result between the 2 sides?

I think it must go on head to heads, the BBC have SL finishing above us if they beat Australia, even though their NRR is -0.52.

If we play SA it'll be at the Oval and we couldn't defend a 290+ total there, think I'd rather take India at Cardiff.

Sky sports have just put that to top the group Sri Lanka need to beat Australia by between 78 and 96 runs :dunno:

That implies if they win by 100 runs they won't top the group, but surely that is wrong.

As I said, England are already through. Only a big Sri Lanka win will prevent them from topping the group. Should that happen, they will meet India in Cardiff on Thursday. Remain top and they will play South Africa at The Oval on Wednesday.

From BBC

Incidentally if the Semi is rained off then the group winner goes through to the final, so it is not just about avoiding India.

The worry is Australia go for it, and get skittled, Sri Lanka win big, we finish second and we then end up with India, or even worse getting knocked out due to the weather.

You are more pessimistic and negative than Bob Willis.

Sort it out, man!

Whilst I doubt the Australians will last out, there is a wonderful tension creeping into the Sri Lanka fans...

It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

The good thing for the Aussies is that they scored so quickly earlier, that there's no need for these two to hit out and they can nudge and nurdle it for ones and twos.

Is it bad to feel slightly sorry for the Ozzies?

Not bad, just odd, I feel sorry for NZ, if their game against Australia hadn't been a wash out, they probably would have beaten them and gone through.

Decent attempt by the Aussies, good bowling and an achievable target from SL, and fair play they went out there to qualify by winning in 30 overs, but with some suicidal running and some awful shot making they got what they deserved in the end. 

Not bad, just odd, I feel sorry for NZ, if their game against Australia hadn't been a wash out, they probably would have beaten them and gone through.

Decent attempt by the Aussies, good bowling and an achievable target from SL, and fair play they went out there to qualify by winning in 30 overs, but with some suicidal running and some awful shot making they got what they deserved in the end. 

Having grown up in the 90s it'll be a long, long while before I have any sympathy for them.

Don't get me wrong I want to completely humiliate this summer/winter just like they used to do to us.

They've just turned into such a pathetic specimen!

Is it bad to feel slightly sorry for the Ozzies?

Yes, they've rubbed our faces in it for decades, any bit of disappointment, coupled with English joy, is worth savouring.

Top the group and the Aussies go out. Perfect :D

Archived