Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

We'll come back stronger- Wes

Of course he's going to say well come back stronger, that's the attitude I'd expect from our captain.

If he said what we're all really thinking; that we've blown our best chances for promotion and we can't spend enough money to plug the holes in our squad, he'd be a crap captain.

Of course he's going to say well come back stronger, that's the attitude I'd expect from our captain.

If he said what we're all really thinking; that we've blown our best chances for promotion and we can't spend enough money to plug the holes in our squad, he'd be a crap captain.

Certainly not what I'm thinking.

Are you really thinking that? I'm definitely not. We're not a million miles away, I think as little as 2 players could make the difference we need.

Are you really thinking that? I'm definitely not. We're not a million miles away, I think as little as 2 players could make the difference we need.

Which positions?

I think we need a left back, right back, centre back, and striker at least....possibly a winger (I'm not sure we can rely on any of Dyer, Marshall and Shlupp to be consistent, Knocky's not a winger) and maybe even a goalkeeper.

A lot of work to do IMO.

Which positions?

I think we need a left back, right back, centre back, and striker at least....possibly a winger (I'm not sure we can rely on any of Dyer, Marshall and Shlupp to be consistent, Knocky's not a winger) and maybe even a goalkeeper.

A lot of work to do IMO.

I think we could do with a LB, possibly on loan, with Konchesky still in and around the first team. I don't think we really need another RB, De Laet's had a pretty solid first season for me, and Moore can play there if needed. We'll need a CB to partner Morgan for sure, and maybe a striker, although if Wood and Nugent can get off to a good start together and maintain that, we might be alright.

Perhaps 4 or 5 transfers/loanees sounds about right to me.

I think we could do with a LB, possibly on loan, with Konchesky still in and around the first team. I don't think we really need another RB, De Laet's had a pretty solid first season for me, and Moore can play there if needed. We'll need a CB to partner Morgan for sure, and maybe a striker, although if Wood and Nugent can get off to a good start together and maintain that, we might be alright.

Perhaps 4 or 5 transfers/loanees sounds about right to me.

I'm not convinced about De Laet myself, no doubt he's good going forward but I'm always worried about him defensively. Moore has never really impressed me.

I think a first 11 left back is essential, Konchesky is past it and a big weakness, he'd be ok backup I suppose.

I assume Nigel will be after a striker on loan or otherwise, even with Wood on form when he first came he still felt the need to bring in Kane. Obviously we'll need better quality than Kane though :)

I'm not convinced about De Laet myself, no doubt he's good going forward but I'm always worried about him defensively. Moore has never really impressed me.

I think a first 11 left back is essential, Konchesky is past it and a big weakness, he'd be ok backup I suppose.

I assume Nigel will be after a striker on loan or otherwise, even with Wood on form when he first came he still felt the need to bring in Kane. Obviously we'll need better quality than Kane though :)

Agree about left back being priority!

Think the whole defence will get a bit of an overhaul this summer to be honest. If Wes is sticking around we need to find him a good partner at the back

I don't think Konchesky is past it- he's 32 and Age isn't always a comprehensive guide I think the problem we have is his drive - I just don't think he is motivated to play to his best in the championship.

He Is more than acceptable at this level but he is another big earner and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shipped out for that reason alone. He also has a lot of experience and although he doesn't fit the young hungry person Pearson likes .. he does also like a few old heads around so you never know with big Nige! But he definitely earns too much to be a back up...

I wouldn't want Konch in the team week in, week out, but I think having that experience around the club will be good for the younger lads in the team. I think the tail end of last season showed us that we're lacking a bit of experience, so the last thing we want to do is get rid of a player like that who, in my opinion, still has a bit to offer.

Having said that, with FFP almost upon us, we might have to get rid because I imagine he's on a significant wedge here.

Experience is needed in key areas of the park I don't consider the full back positions to require that, in the heart of defense yes aka Wes, I think central midfield we could do with a experienced campaigner.

Which positions?

A lot of work to do IMO.

Firstly, yeah I am assuming no players that we want to keep will go ie Schmeics

Left back - Want a young buck who is good enough to play every week, would be happier if Konchy stuck around to lend his experience to the squad and fill in where necessary - there's no doubt he's a top left-back at this level on his day and he's done absolute numbers on some of the supposed most dangerous attackers in some matches during his time with us, but of course his wages do mean that this isn't particularly cost-effective.

Wide Midfielder - ideally someone who plays wide on either side, either to start on the left or play on the right when NP plays Knocks through the middle behind one Striker when we play away.  :fc: Dyer should be coming on in the second halves of next season to run at tired legs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for CB, if I were NP I'd ask Moore if he wants to invest in his future at CB and if so do a lot of work with him over the summer. Thought he was promising at the start of the season but was naive at times. Good future at this level at least. Also I am making a bit of an assumption that Whitbread will be first-choice next season, which I know many people won't like, but I thought a lot of the criticism directed at him was unfair when he played. The fact that many Norwich fans assumed he was going to follow Lambert to Villa when he left speaks volumes for me. With a full pre-season with us and some good luck with his fitness I think him and Morgan could form a very solid if unspectacular partnership in the Championship, both tall and strong and have a lot of experience between them.

You might be right about another option up top. I would be prepared to give Vardy another chance next season if NP can get him working hard again in pre-season and restore a bit of confidence. I also think to get the most out of Vardy we need to consider other ways of attacking when he is on the pitch. If you watch a lot of his goals at Fleetwood came from breaks, a ball being played through or over the top for him to run on to and finish off. Granted you don't get half as many chances like that in the Championship due to the significantly more competent defences. In the Leicester team he fit right in at the beginning in terms of work rate and defending from the front, but you could see he was struggling with group attacks where the ball was being played quickly to feet between the lines. Even then, he had his moments (ie assist to Waghorn v Derby - excellent work) but the guy's forte is handling one-on-ones and chances like that. If we could have games where we hold the ball in the middle as much as possible with Drinkwater, James and King's simple and accurate passing while waiting for a chance to slip him in I think he could be quite effective. Although then you wonder where such killer balls might come from on a regular basis.

At the back I think De Laet - Morgan - Whitbread - LB, with Moore, Konch and Schlupp covering is fine, but possibly another CB needed and definitely so if Whitbread can't cut it.

Wood, Nugent, Schlupp and Vardy is a good selection in terms of variation but you do have to ask if there is enough quality in all-round finishing, so maybe bringing somebody else in there is necessary.

Firstly, yeah I am assuming no players that we want to keep will go ie Schmeics

Left back - Want a young buck who is good enough to play every week, would be happier if Konchy stuck around to lend his experience to the squad and fill in where necessary - there's no doubt he's a top left-back at this level on his day and he's done absolute numbers on some of the supposed most dangerous attackers in some matches during his time with us, but of course his wages do mean that this isn't particularly cost-effective.

Wide Midfielder - ideally someone who plays wide on either side, either to start on the left or play on the right when NP plays Knocks through the middle behind one Striker when we play away.  :fc: Dyer should be coming on in the second halves of next season to run at tired legs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for CB, if I were NP I'd ask Moore if he wants to invest in his future at CB and if so do a lot of work with him over the summer. Thought he was promising at the start of the season but was naive at times. Good future at this level at least. Also I am making a bit of an assumption that Whitbread will be first-choice next season, which I know many people won't like, but I thought a lot of the criticism directed at him was unfair when he played. The fact that many Norwich fans assumed he was going to follow Lambert to Villa when he left speaks volumes for me. With a full pre-season with us and some good luck with his fitness I think him and Morgan could form a very solid if unspectacular partnership in the Championship, both tall and strong and have a lot of experience between them.

You might be right about another option up top. I would be prepared to give Vardy another chance next season if NP can get him working hard again in pre-season and restore a bit of confidence. I also think to get the most out of Vardy we need to consider other ways of attacking when he is on the pitch. If you watch a lot of his goals at Fleetwood came from breaks, a ball being played through or over the top for him to run on to and finish off. Granted you don't get half as many chances like that in the Championship due to the significantly more competent defences. In the Leicester team he fit right in at the beginning in terms of work rate and defending from the front, but you could see he was struggling with group attacks where the ball was being played quickly to feet between the lines. Even then, he had his moments (ie assist to Waghorn v Derby - excellent work) but the guy's forte is handling one-on-ones and chances like that. If we could have games where we hold the ball in the middle as much as possible with Drinkwater, James and King's simple and accurate passing while waiting for a chance to slip him in I think he could be quite effective. Although then you wonder where such killer balls might come from on a regular basis.

At the back I think De Laet - Morgan - Whitbread - LB, with Moore, Konch and Schlupp covering is fine, but possibly another CB needed and definitely so if Whitbread can't cut it.

Wood, Nugent, Schlupp and Vardy is a good selection in terms of variation but you do have to ask if there is enough quality in all-round finishing, so maybe bringing somebody else in there is necessary.

Hmm - thought out views....

You don't fit around here!

I liked that post and to be honest I agree, so many of us naturally have a tendency to write a player off after one bad year.

I'm not defending either Whitbread or Vardy in the season just gone, as they simply weren't good enough, but they're worth another go.

Many may call me out on what I say about players like Beckford & Danns but we can't afford to keep them pair, so it's a risk I wouldn't be prepared to take.

Agree about left back being priority!

Think the whole defence will get a bit of an overhaul this summer to be honest. If Wes is sticking around we need to find him a good partner at the back

Spot on

:thumbup:

Left back and left sided centre back needed IMO.

I don't want to start next season with Konch and Whitbread in the first team.

Good old Wes, a proper championship player.

Hopefully he will work harder at retaining possession and keeping a clean sheet (6 in 26 games this year) through preseason and in to next season.

:scarf:

:unsure: Really?

Our best performer this season and you give him a sarcastic comment like that. If you weren't impressed with him then I can only assume you want most of the team chucked out the window.

:unsure: Really?

Our best performer this season and you give him a sarcastic comment like that. If you weren't impressed with him then I can only assume you want most of the team chucked out the window.

Yip.  King, James, Nugent and Kasper.  Totally indifferent to the rest, no real quality there.  

We'll be up there come the end of next season, as whilst agreeing with big Wes, the team will be more than determined to be at the top (considering our promotion push last season was sadly rejected by a diverse foreign team and their now retarded fans).

"I’m sure the gaffer will make some new additions to the squad and we’ll give it another go"

Clearly Big Wes thinks we need some greater strength in depth. 

Or maybe he thinks the manager might sign some players this summer? You know, like football managers usually do?

Why does everyone have to read something into every little comment made by the manager or the players?

Archived