Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

We'll come back stronger- Wes

Leicester City skipper Wes Morgan is backing his team-mates to come back even stronger next season after the agony of missing out on promotion through the npower Championship Play-Offs last month.

The Foxes will be looking to mount another promotion push once the season kicks off once again on 3 August, and the captain is confident that Nigel Pearson’s men are fully capable of picking themselves up and making it out of what will be a competitive division.

Morgan put in some sensational performances for City last term, resulting in a number of end of season accolades such as the Player of the Season and Player’s Player of the Season gongs at the Club’s End of Season Awards, and the 29-year-old is keen to pick up where he left off.

wes-480-2280-835309.jpg

“We’ll come back stronger,†Morgan told LCFC.com. “To come so close and to taste it, you know what’s up for grabs.

“We know it’s not going to be easy, with many games against many good teams and some good ones coming down too who will make it even tougher. But I’m confident in the team and myself and I’m sure the gaffer will make some new additions to the squad and we’ll give it another go.

“Everyone was a bit disappointed because we didn’t reach what we wanted to reach, although we gave it a good go. The first part of the season was fantastic and we were flying, but stuttered a bit in the second half of the season although we made it into the play-offs in the end and we could have got there, but it came down to one kick and unfortunately it wasn’t meant to be for us.â€

wes-480280-835308.jpg

And despite the heartbreak of the play-offs, where a penalty save in the last minute saw City eliminated at the hands of Watford in the most dramatic of circumstances, the captain has no doubt that his team-mates are up for the fight once again.

Morgan admitted: “I can’t think of a worse way to lose a game than in those circumstances to be honest. But as I said earlier these things happen, it just wasn’t meant to be on that day.

“I’m just about over it now and I’m sure the rest of the players suffered at the time with us being one kick away from Wembley with the prospect of getting into the Premier League but you can’t dwell on these things, and we’re now picking ourselves up, getting on with things and looking forward to next season.

“Hats off to Anthony [Knockaert] for stepping up to take the penalty in the first place. He went to take it himself and none of us blame him for missing the penalty because it’s a team effort and we’re all in it together.

“When the penalty was missed, it felt like we all missed as a team and we’re sure that he’ll be able to learn from this in the future and it will make him a more confident and better player.â€

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/030613-morgan-well-come-back-stronger-852384.aspx#bZ8C6c3LXp1Xg0h5.99

Love the bit about Knockaert :P

Me too. Top stuff from your captain. People will say " well he's not going to be calling him a tosser is he?" but He didnt have to mention it at all... Instead gave him some support.  I also get the impression from that, that Big Wes is going to be sticking around for next season :)

Agree with Morgan, hats off to Knockaert no one else wanted to take the penalty so... However after watching the game back, Andy King could of slid on Anya(I think) numerous times to stop the cross coming in, in the first place.

Felt like we all missed as a team? There was still another minute left to defend. Ah well. Cant blame Knockaert myself, no one else fancied it. 

I see what you're saying... I actually think this is a great tactic of Big Wes in trying to develope a stronger team bond for next season...

I also get the impression from that, that Big Wes is going to be sticking around for next season :)

This

A definite player that the squad needs to be built around and am sure knocky will come back stronger next year, hopefully offering more consistently the level of performance we know he can achieve.

I remember some of the interviews that took place during the terrible run of last season. Particularly with Kasper I think?

Ill say the same thing again really. It's just words, nothing more. There's no harm in it and fair play. But it's pretty meaningless stuff IMO. If we look like a side who can control games and look like getting results away from home next season then ill be more contented. Until then, I'm happy to sit and wait and see.

Just to add.. 'Stuttered a bit' is an incredible understatement plus I don't believe Knocky should have taken the penalty. So I don't agree with you there I'm afraid big fella.

I remember some of the interviews that took place during the terrible run of last season. Particularly with Kasper I think?

Ill say the same thing again really. It's just words, nothing more. There's no harm in it and fair play. But it's pretty meaningless stuff IMO. If we look like a side who can control games and look like getting results away from home next season then ill be more contented. Until then, I'm happy to sit and wait and see.

Just to add.. 'Stuttered a bit' is an incredible understatement plus I don't believe Knocky should have taken the penalty. So I don't agree with you there I'm afraid big fella.

Im not so sure its meaningless stuff... Wes is out captain and he is one of only a few players who has commanded enough respect from me  that prompted by the club or not, he means what he says... I like hearing from him.. He is a good honest man.. Remninds me of Chris Powell ( not because he is black before some disabled comments) He has led by example so that his words alone are worthy of listening to.

I do agree with you though that the results need to be the proof of the pudding!

One point though about your interpretation of what he is saying about knocky.. He didn't actually say he felt knocky should of taken it.. just that it was a courageous decision to take it and I don't believe there was some mad scramble from any other penalty takers to get the ball from knocky... and this might of been why knocky was allowed to take it..  I don't know who has the biggest say on who takes the penalties though... the captain or the manager?  I'd bet the final decision would be the manager  and this could be why  big Wes didn't intervene... However Big Wes saying all this about knocky having respect for taking the penalty could in some way be deflecting any possible blame from himself for knocky taking it... although I'd be honestly surprised if this is how Wes  operates...

Morgan doesn't know what players we'll have for next season, so how can he know we'll come back stronger?

I think he means the younger players will be more experienced and collectively they want to put right what went wrong last season. You can't knock him for that.

Even grumpy bollocks like me have to get over the disappointment of last season and back the team and dare I say it the manager and the potential new players. I'm sure knocky will play out of his skin to make amends so we need to make him know we are still behind him and the team. come you Blues. :scarf:  :scarf: :scarf:  :scarf:  

Morgan doesn't know what players we'll have for next season, so how can he know we'll come back stronger?

He's the captain for crying out loud, he's bound to say things like that. What would you rather him say? We're all shit were gonna get relegated next season. He has to be positive. So should the fans, there's way too much doom and gloom on here. It's like we're in the conference next season or something.

Something about the Pearson/Chris Wood rumour would be much more interesting

Yeah, I'm sure you'd go talking shit about your boss and your co-workers in the papers as well.

I think he means the younger players will be more experienced and collectively they want to put right what went wrong last season. You can't knock him for that.

Even grumpy bollocks like me have to get over the disappointment of last season and back the team and dare I say it the manager and the potential new players. I'm sure knocky will play out of his skin to make amends so we need to make him know we are still behind him and the team. come you Blues. :scarf:  :scarf: :scarf:  :scarf:  

:o  :o  :o

Archived