Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ali Campbell

Jeffrey Shlupp - Crystal Palace

I really rate the guy. Has all the raw attributes to be a great, great player. That's why Man Utd had a long hard look at him. Fergies the (was) best in the game at spotting young talent, he clearly saw something there and you can't just ignore that.

I think his downfall is, well, his position. Is he striker? (That's where Man Utd played him in their youth matches) or is he a left back? Or a left winger? Without him being able to really nail down a position, it could be why he doesn't excel in any one role. Personally, I think he's better thank Konchesky, but still see his final position being a striker.

Guest MattP

I really rate the guy. Has all the raw attributes to be a great, great player. That's why Man Utd had a long hard look at him. Fergies the (was) best in the game at spotting young talent, he clearly saw something there and you can't just ignore that.

I think his downfall is, well, his position. Is he striker? (That's where Man Utd played him in their youth matches) or is he a left back? Or a left winger? Without him being able to really nail down a position, it could be why he doesn't excel in any one role. Personally, I think he's better thank Konchesky, but still see his final position being a striker.

Bebe?

Let's get one thing straight, unless he gets lots and lots and lots more specific individual training to make him into a defender, which will require a lot of time and a lot of coaching, he shouldn't ever play at left back unless we are in dire need. It's completely not his fault but he was hopeless in the run in playing there. Like properly hopeless. He looked scared, uncomfortable and confused for the whole 180 minutes against Watford. 

He has got potential to be a left back, I can see where the idea has come from. He's quick, he's got an engine on him to get up and down on the overlap, he looks like with a bit of training he'd love to get stuck into a few tackles etc. All good left back qualities. However at this present moment he has no idea who he's meant to mark, where he's meant to be or what he's meant to do with the ball when he's got it in the left back role. 

As a striker he's very, very raw. Good word whoever used that before. There are sparks of genius (the occasional nice run, a lot of power, that snapshot off the bar against Brum springs to mind) but there are a lot of missed chances, mis controlled balls etc. Then again we get that from every striker we've had in the past 10 years, not just the kid. I think this next season he (or someone) needs to decide him a position. Like I say, with coaching he could become a left back by trade, and a good one at that. And equally as he develops and plays more from where he is now he could be a decent striker too. He just can't carry on being a striker come winger come left back because he clearly isn't, at present moment, good enough in any of those roles. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind. He needs to master a trade and stick with it. 

If he stays with us I hope he goes on to be a first teamer, I like an academy kid in there, and I believe he could become good enough for our first team over time. Whether a loan is needed is a good point, some action up top to prove himself because right now it's Nuge/Wood over him all day and all night. 

Always seems to me that Schlupp needs three or four chances to score.

As I said on the previous page, a loan to a League One club (especially a high-end club) wouldn't be too bad for everyone involved. Just look how his ability enhance after his time at Brentford.

He came back from that and still never got a crack in the first team, I'm not sure what sending him back to League One would gain.

He's never had a proper run at Leicester. Has he ever started more than 5 games in a row?

As I said on the previous page, a loan to a League One club (especially a high-end club) wouldn't be too bad for everyone involved. Just look how his ability enhance after his time at Brentford.

Can you seriously name a City player with a better strike rate than that?

No arguements there but you have to balance it out with the fact that his pace and direct approach helps to create a lot of those chances.

Thats a stupid comparison Schlupp played games at left back, slightly harder to score from there, and he spent some time at Man u :blink:

No, a stupid comparison is comparing Schlupp and Nugent's records and then trying to claim Schlupp is the better player.

Fergie has signed some absolute stinkers over the years, so lets not make out that just because Ferguson looked at him, he must have the potential to turn into a top player. Besides, Ferguson knew he would be stepping down in the summer and wouldn't be able to put a bid in for him, so if he'd really 'seen something' in Schlupp, then he would have arranged the deal to sign him before the summer.

Like he did for zaha. I don't see schipperke as his replacement but of all the players I have neve seen so many fans have a different opinion. From playing in the first team to being loaned to a league 1 club. So can his raw talent cut it in the prem

Like he did for zaha. I don't see schipperke as his replacement but of all the players I have never seen so many fans have a different opinion. From playing in the first team to being loaned to a league 1 club. So can his raw talent cut it in the prem

After reading the majority of the posts on here, I will have to concur that a Loan Period away will probably do him the world of good, to as mentioned a top end L1 team or even lower Championship side.

Schlupp is however the type of player we need to keep hold of though, with the bollox that is FFP coming in, we need to hold on to the potential quality we have with some youngsters.

I personally feel he is a better striker than LB and come the 2nd half of the season he will have matured nicely into so if he gets the essential game time, which can only be good for us in the long run

Morning people,

On the Palace website I post on (Holmesdale Online) there's a thread on Shlupp & whether (if we went in for him) he'd be able to cut it in the PL.

Another poster has said he's posted a thread on a Foxes forum but I didn't see it on here so would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Thank you.

raba

I'd say at this stage in his career no- he's young, not played too much football in the championship yet. Quick, raw talent, bit of a headless chicken at times. He is certainly not a replacement for Zaha! (who by the way I think is fantastic)

I'd say at this stage in his career no- he's young, not played too much football in the championship yet. Quick, raw talent, bit of a headless chicken at times. He is certainly not a replacement for Zaha! (who by the way I think is fantastic)

I'm thinking along the same lines. At times youngsters get snapped up too early in their careers without having the opportunity to be nurtured and developed. Connor Whickham & John Bostock to name but two.

There's still rumblings that Zaha may come back to us on a season long loan. After being vocal on Watford's use of the loan system I feel very uneasy having a player who we have been paid £10m up front for who then stays with us for 18 months. Definitely a class act & will only get better.

I would agree with that!

Archived