Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aussie_Fox20

Leicester fan from Australia - Returning after 10+ years away.

Hi everyone,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. When I was a kid I remember watching Leicester in the EPL and loved them to bits. When they got relegated I lost interest in the EPL and lost interest in the game of football. It is until recently that I have regained my interest in football. Mainly due to the Australian Football Leagues growth over the past few seasons. And naturally I want to jump back on Leicester.

Could you guys please help my informing what what was happened over the past few seasons so I have some knowledge on the club and the league. I hope that one day Leicester will make it back to the EPL.

If you could tell me anything at all that would be great.

Eg. Who our best player is?, what is currently happening with the squad, transfers ect.

Thanks guys and I look forward to cheering on the Foxes again this season and beyond.

We were really, really shit then we got better and got really, really rich which made us really, really shit again and then we turned really, really average and here we are.

I appreciate some of the feedback so far guys. What's our current squad like?

Starting 11 is strong but no strength in depth.

We've got some rich owners but financial fair play and Sven spending stupid amounts means we're having to offload players first.

On our day the best team in the league but our day doesn't happen enough

Alot of hope for next season but there is every season

Schmeichel, Morgan, Knockaert, Nugent, James are probably our best players, as others have said the starting 11 is good but with poor strength in depth. Will you be going to many games?  :)

I will attempt a serious (ish) post.

2004-2008 - Worst period of the clubs history according to many, wouldn't be fair for me to comment but certainly the worst since I've been going. Money struggles, bottom half Championship finishes year in year out. Bought out by Milan Mandaric in 2007 and despite being one of the favourites for promotion, we ended up having 3 different managers (the third appointed in November) and relegation eventually sealed on a very painful day in Stoke on 4th May 2008; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7368631.stm

2008-2010 - Leicester win the third tier with 96 points and make the play-offs in the Championship the following year under Nigel Pearson - the man who had temporarily managed Southampton to the final day win in 2007/08 that sent Leicester down. He acquired a side with a lot of youngsters, a lot of grit, determination and efficiency. Not the finished article but a massive breath of fresh air considering we'd been absolute losers for years. We were one penalty away from Wembley, truly heartbreaking stuff; http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdaj8x_cardiff-city-v-leicester-city-2-3-4_sport#.UbpIYPmmjPU

2010/11 - Pearson was sensationally let go in pre-season and joined Hull City as (we believe) Mandaric wanted to hire a big name to make us a more attractive name to sell. He appointed former Portugal international Paulo Sousa as manager and Mandaric sold the club to Thai Duty Free's King Power. Sousa was sacked after a horrendous start (left us bottom after 9 games), Sven Goran Eriksson came in and brought in a load of loanees and some of his own signings in January, we looked a much improved side and at one stage looked like making the play-offs but we tailed off and finished 10th, it was exciting times as we were promised big spending over the summer.

2011/12 - Sven spent ridiculous money and ultimately failed. Sacked (arguably harshly) after 13 games following an extremely indifferent start and in a sensationally ironic scenario, the new owners went and got Pearson back from Hull. We remained largely inconsistent and stumbled to a 9th placed finish, terrible considering the money spent, an embarrassing season and one I'm glad is history.

2012/13 - Pearson got us back to being one of the leagues top sides, hitting the summit twice (I think), but from February we just crumbled and slipped from automatic promotion to stealing the most miraculous last day play-off place, exactly 5 years after the Stoke game; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22320604

But the play-offs were equally as dramatic, for all the wrong reasons; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhNaZTNTdVA

And here we are. Hope you enjoyed.

I'll add to the serious post.

Current Squad.

1. Kasper Schmeichel (GK) - Arguably our best player and with no doubt our best keeper in the past decade. Great shot stopper, poor, if anything, dealing with crosses and long range curlers.

2. Richie De Laet (RB) - Signed by Pearson from MU's youth. Decent getting up forward but can be left vulnerable at times from breaks but gets stuck in given the opportunity many times.

3. Paul Konckesky (LB) - Still going in his early thirties, having Premier League experience, can be good on his day, but his footballing days are numbered, signed by Sven from Liverpool two years ago.

4. Danny Drinkwater (CM) - Another Pearson signing from the United Academy. Shows sparks of energy and decent defensively, been quiet in the final third of last season. Could be on his way out.

5. Westely Morgan (CB) - The Captain. Spent ten years at Forest before coming here two winters ago. Absolute rock at the back and a great commander. Saved our skins plenty of times this season. POTY13.

6. Zak Whitbread (CB) - Arrived at the King Power Stadium last summer and has made little impact after suffering with an injury and lost form and his place, he will most certainly regain his form that he once had with Premier League Norwich next season.

7. Ben Marshall (RM) - England U21 Imternational has an eye on goal from 20+ yards out. Decent set piece delivery but still has a lot to learn in the coming years.

8. Neil Danns (CM) - One of our more expensive players in terms of wages after Sven appointed him in 2011. Good getting forward and can cause a threat for central defenders. His form has gone downhill and has been off on loan to two bottom table sides last season, on the way out for good this summer.

9. Jamie Vardy (ST) - Signed from Fleetwood Town for £1.7m last summer, a Non League record deal. Started this season off brightly showing bursts of energy yet slowly deteriorated as the season progressed. Still has potential to do more for us.

10. Andy King (CAM) - A Leicester City academy product. Has experienced the ups and downs of this club in the past half a decade. Good player on the ball and has an eye for goal. Our most reliable midfielder when it comes to getting the job done.

11. Lloyd Dyer (LM) - Another loyal Leicester player. Has bags of pace and gets him into good situations most of the time.

12. Sean St. Ledger (CB) - Brummie born Irish International. Spent most of his career at PNE after being snapped up by Sven in 2011. Has been solid at the back with Morgan the odd few occasions but an injury meant he lost his place in the lineup this season.

13. Conrad Logan (GK) - Has spent 9 years at this club and hasn't had much playing time for us. Mixed player,hashis good days has his bad days. Good back up keeper that is willing to spend another two years on the bench.

14. Martyn Waghorn (ST) - Some may argue may be the reason why we never made the playoff final three years ago after missing a crucial penalty in the shoot out. Inconsistent player, can find the net most games but can end UL firing blanks most of the time. Years 2010 and 2011 has been his highlights in his Leicester career.

15. Michael Keane (CB) - Loaned out to us for the 12/13 season. At the age of 19, he has so much potential to be Premier League regular very soon. Formed a very good partnership with Morgan at the back and a decent aerial threat at times. Gone back to Man United.

16. Matty James (CM) - Another former Manchester United youngster. Formed a good partnership with King this season. Did most of the defensive work from the midfield and has been our main man to take our corners. Decent going up front, too.

17. Paul Gallagher (CAM) - Has spent the last three years here. Once, our best player when it comes to lob passing, crosses and penalties, with the occasional long range goal. Gone downhill since last year and is on his way out.

18. Jeffrey Schlupp (L) - Another Leicester youth product. A versatile player, who can play in any position in the left flank. Has formed a great partnership with Dyer in patches of this season and has proven that he can attack, too. Can score goals and has bags of pace as well. One to look out for.

19. Richie Wellens (CM) - Ex-Doncaster. In his late thirties, he is in no future plans in this club. But he played a major part in the playoff campaign three years ago and the year after that. Good defensive midfielder that had a decent loan spell at Ipswich last season. Could be on his way back to Doncaster this summer. Another high earner.

20. Jermaine Beckford (ST) - Jamaican International who Sven grabbed on Transfer Deadline Day 2011 for £4m. Inconsistent striker, but has a real eye for goal from a short range. Spent last season at Huddersfield for the majority of the season. Looking to offload him this summer with him being on massive wages.

22. Liam Moore (CB/RB) - Foxes Academy player. Can perform brilliantly alongside Morgan but his inexperience can show at times. Spent last season at Brentford for a short while.

24. Anthony Knockaert (CAM/RM) - Hailing from France,this gem came to Leicester I'm August 2012 and has not failed to please, one but. A fan favourite, has tricks lined up and has an eye for goal from way out and is not afraid to take on Amy defender to get to decent opportunities and can set other suers up beautifully.

29. Markó Futacs (ST) - Hungarian signed on a free by Pearson last summer, has had a very quiet season. Not seen much of him but when he had to chance to shine, he failed. Stop young and can come good for us in the future, possibly.

35. David Nugent (ST) - Another fan favourite. Signed from Pompey by Sven in 2011 and since then has scored 29 league goals. Gets himself into wonderful positions for us and for fellow strikers most of the time. Can also play on the far left up front, known to slice in and can cause a massive threat for the two right defenders.

39. Chris Wood (ST) - Signed for us on Mew Years Day 2013 and had a great debut, scoring twice against Huddersfield on the same day. Can be a massive hero for a us next season.

Archived