Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

Low skilled people being coerced into work by the removal of the welfare lifestyle is being described as the "creation of low paid jobs", but it's not really that. Those jobs were always there, it was just that under labour it paid more to sit at home or down the pub and pick up a handout every week than it did to actually go out and work.

Been beaten to it but good luck with that after we've dumbed down every single part of society over the last 15-20 years and actually encouraged masses of people that sitting on your backside all day signing on is a better lifestyle choice than educating oneself.....

Edited by MattP

Been beaten to it but good luck with that after we've dumbed down every single part of society over the last 15-20 years and actually encouraged masses of people that sitting on your backside all day signing on is a better lifestyle choice than educating oneself.....

We have increased the amount of graduates massively over the last 15 years so I don't necessarily accept your analysis of dumbing down the whole of society.

We have increased the amount of graduates massively over the last 15 years so I don't necessarily accept your analysis of dumbing down the whole of society.

Well, maybe not the whole. Though the firms I've worked for now barely recognise a graduate as anything special on a CV unless they have done a decent course and achieved on it.

We've got masses of people coming out with 2's in things like business administration who in reality shouldn't have bothered with Uni in the first place.

Just a couple of honest questions, no sly thoughts behind them...

# What of the colleges and the once called polytechnics, are they still viable, and have good results.?

# Do Leicester and midland firms still encourage Apprenticeships.?

#How is the education in the working Estates,in the past many technicians and skilled labour came from these Estates feeding the job market needs.?

Over the years, when returning to Leicester, relation visits or to watch Foxes or the Tigers, I've never kept track in the last few years, of 'on the street' daily goings on and fortunes.

Just like to hear fox-posters thoughts and opinions.

Edited by fuchsntf

Philae has touched down on the comet.

We've done the equivalent of throwing a dart and hitting a bullseye moving at 20 kilometres per second 500 million kilometres away. A dart armed to the teeth with scientific instruments, and all for the cost of one pint of beer per EU citizen.

ESA...Take a fvcking bow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/science-environment-29985988

Edited by leicsmac

Well, maybe not the whole. Though the firms I've worked for now barely recognise a graduate as anything special on a CV unless they have done a decent course and achieved on it.

We've got masses of people coming out with 2's in things like business administration who in reality shouldn't have bothered with Uni in the first place.

Everyone is encouraged to go to uni as soon as they step foot in sixth form and I'd guess 70-80% of people at my sixth form applied for uni last year and are there now. A lot of these people you'd also question if they really should have gone to sixth form. Apprenticeships were mentioned but never really pushed because they want their uni figures. 

And then the parents of these kids laud them because they are going to university even if they're going to do Applied Social Studies at the University of Bedfordshire and end up in a job they could have done straight from sixth form. And then the taxpayer picks up the tab for their social 'rite of passage'. The devaluing of university and degrees is annoying, isn't the the target for 50% of young people to go to university?

Everyone is encouraged to go to uni as soon as they step foot in sixth form and I'd guess 70-80% of people at my sixth form applied for uni last year and are there now. A lot of these people you'd also question if they really should have gone to sixth form. Apprenticeships were mentioned but never really pushed because they want their uni figures. 

And then the parents of these kids laud them because they are going to university even if they're going to do Applied Social Studies at the University of Bedfordshire and end up in a job they could have done straight from sixth form. And then the taxpayer picks up the tab for their social 'rite of passage'. The devaluing of university and degrees is annoying, isn't the the target for 50% of young people to go to university?

I think it was Steve_Walsh5 on here told a very interesting story a while back on how he wanted to enquire on all sorts of apprenticeships or trades when receiving careers advice when he was about 15/16 and was completely discouraged from doing so, told he should be going to university whatever and even asked questions such as 'why would you want to get your hands dirty?'.

I don't know if that figure of 50% is still there but if it is that's clearly far too high. I know society wants to be really nice to everyone but not everyone should be doing it, you almost get the feeling another industry was trying to be created.(ironically often the ones who went against it and took the trade jobs are the ones earning decent wedge now as general office work pay is generally shite compared to everything as so many people now fall into it)

You can't help but think the schools care more about the figures of how many people they are sending to university rather than actually preparing people for the best life they can live.

But yeah, it's clearly as much of a social right of passage as much as anything else unless you are doing a top 10% course nowadays, may as well just extend school until 21.

Edited by MattP

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30512657

Unemployment down (ONS figures), though the reduction is slowing.

First real wage growth for 6 years, even if it's only been caused by falling inflation - in turn caused by falling oil prices (anyone know what's happening there? I haven't looked into that - don't know what the causes are and whether that is short-term or long-term?). Let's see if the low inflation, lower unemployment and slight upturn in real incomes are sustained now....early days.

Did the fairy godmother tell you this?

'There are lies, dammed lies and statistics.'

How people interpret the information given out by those in power depends on their personal POV.

Go on then Ken show us some statistics to claim the opposite.

The rise is due to seasonal temporary jobs, low paid part time and zero contract hours but they will not tell us that.

It does not take a genius to see this.

It is a waste of time posting opposite stats as they will just be dismissed as left wing propaganda. Of course there is no such thing as right wing propaganda is there?

Edited by Rincewind

The rise is due to seasonal temporary jobs, low paid part time and zero contract hours but they will not tell us that.

It is a waste of time posting opposite stats as they will just be dismissed as left wing propaganda. Of course there is no such thing as right wing propaganda is there?

How can it be seasonal when it's the continuation of a trend that has been going on for about two years? If anything I believe the rate in the fall of unemployment has slower slightly. At 6% unemployment we're right down to the dregs now and whether or not those people really want to work becomes a central question.

It's been happening for about two years, did people start taking on 2014 Christmas staff in August 2012? It's not a waste at all Ken, if figures are that easy to manipulate as you claim post some up that shows rising unemployment.

How do you even know what's happening on the job market these days anyway?

First real wage growth for 6 years, even if it's only been caused by falling inflation - in turn caused by falling oil prices (anyone know what's happening there? I haven't looked into that - don't know what the causes are and whether that is short-term or long-term?). Let's see if the low inflation, lower unemployment and slight upturn in real incomes are sustained now....early days.

Seems like a bit of a game is being played with the oil price. OPEC were expected to cut supply to prop up the price in November but didn't, instead allowing it to keep falling. Speculation that they're hoping it puts some of the US shale oil producers out of business. Lower prices may also stimulate oil demand which has been falling globally. Continued high prices would have accelerated the move away from oil, by lowering the price it might keep people hooked a little longer.

Or maybe we've reached the natural tipping point where capitalism-driven technology advancement has provided a combination of increased supply (e.g shale oil), decreased demand (electric cars) and alternatives (renewable energy), ie what the market wants is what capitalism provides, and now oil will go into a long term decline.

US shale oil production has increased by about 4 million gallons a day, US imports have plummeted.