Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brockmyster

Is FFP as good as made out?

Guest MattP

No.

Good idea in theory when it was first mooted. The execution of it has made it anything but fair.

Though something needed to be done to stop clubs behaving like we were three years back.

Not really no, it will just make the gap between league and premiership wider. Foreign investment will go to other countries where there arnt restrictions on spending money. Clubs will need to milk their fans for every last drop of revenue regardless of the wealth of the club or its owners.

It complete bollocks.

Controlling people from spending money they dont have I absolutely agree with, but stopping a weathy individual or organisation from investing in a club and thus Football? Pathetic.

Not really no, it will just make the gap between league and premiership wider. Foreign investment will go to other countries where there arnt restrictions on spending money. Clubs will need to milk their fans for every last drop of revenue regardless of the wealth of the club or its owners.

Which countries would that be then? FFP is UEFA-wide for a start. Brazil, China?

Long term, it will only lead to ticket prices going up. The market has stagnated this summer already but as the sanctions start to bite it'll lead to a total freeze for anyone without parachute payments. This will help uphold a wealthy few while the poor majority fight over the scraps. Football's equivalent of what the present government is doing to the country really.

It's a very idealistic approach, but I'm afraid we live in a far from ideal world.

what should happen is the market should correct itself.

transfer fees and wages should come down, if revenue doesn't go up.

if you're worth 30 million now, but nobody wants to pay, you ain't worth 30 million.

and as i've said before.

sky prem money is to blame, it's a false economy.

The terrible thing is this.

We can't spend any money due to the restrictions, but clubs relegated from the Premiership (Wigan as an example) have so many parachute payments that they can spend spend spend.

How are teams like us who have been in the Championship for a long time supposed to compete with that now?

Guest MattP

Why should ticket prices go up?

I know a way that will stop.

It should work the other way instead bringing fees and wages down. Hopefully we can end this madness of having average second tier players on 20k a week.

Why should ticket prices go up?

I know a way that will stop.

It should work the other way instead bringing fees and wages down. Hopefully we can end this madness of having average second tier players on 20k a week.

correct. market correction in football is long overdue.

The terrible thing is this.

We can't spend any money due to the restrictions, but clubs relegated from the Premiership (Wigan as an example) have so many parachute payments that they can spend spend spend.

How are teams like us who have been in the Championship for a long time supposed to compete with that now?

Exactly this. It's disastrous for us.

The only positive I can see is that clubs will need to invest and rely more on bringing through academy players.... But without the same FFP rules being applied in the premiership , it will only server to extend the gap between those in the top flight and others...

"as good as made out"? I've never seen in made out as anything other than total bollocks, a manifestation of corruption sneaked through in the name of fairness. The funniest thing is, it doesn't even stop gung ho owners from running clubs into the ground. You can handle a few side effects if the main objective is achieved, but it's not. The whole thing is a disgrace.

The only positive I can see is that clubs will need to invest and rely more on bringing through academy players.... But without the same FFP rules being applied in the premiership , it will only server to extend the gap between those in the top flight and others...

nope the eppp has pit paid to any chance of clubs really caring about that. as the top clubs can just nick your kids for next to nothing.

one club has just lost a kid for 75k. imagine is having lost heskey for that sort of cash as a teenager.

ffp is about 20 years to late. it just means utd, psg, real, bayern etc remain.

arsenal maybe able to join them due to ticket revenue.

but for most clubs being able to join the top table becomes less than the pipe dream it already was. as the really big clubs have global appeal and global sales other clubs cant compete with.

this pushes not just a european league but a world league closer as when boca and river plate get their acts together they have mass appeal in huge countries.

The basis of Financial Fair Play is a sound one, and well thought out by the Football League

The problem now is the increased parachute payments to relegated from the Premiership clubs, the Football League identified the problem and proposed a couple of options, which is when the Premiership turned more bully boy & threatened to pull all funding.

If the FA claims to run the game, they should have stepped in & ruled the Premiership cannot determine how the Football League chooses to allocate funds.

The FA have to start exerting authority quickly now, otherwise political intervention will commence, as the Sports Minister has already sanctioned drawing up rules for better governance.

In terms of market forces, it should not mean that ticket prices go up, it should mean players wages fall to a level clubs can sustainably finance, while clubs need to unite to minimise agent fees

No.

Good idea in theory when it was first mooted. The execution of it has made it anything but fair.

Though something needed to be done to stop clubs behaving like we were three years back.

This. Should've known it'd be the case though sadly.

I totally believe in theory it's the right idea, but in practice, it's too late and with the introduction of EPPP as well, it'll be a disaster. It's already fvcked in our league that the relegated sides will be at a silly advantage, and that Watford have already cheated the system.

Archived