Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2017 at 11:32, Line-X said:

I listened to St Peppers again a while back. It's an utterly fantastic album for the lyrics alone sometimes. Even the lesser known songs have, not only wonderful lyrics, but venture into a superb kaleidoscopic landscape at points.

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can.
I admit it's getting better
A little better all the time

For the benefit of Mr. Kite
There will be a show tonight on trampoline
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo Fanques Fair-what a scene
Over men and horses hoops and garters
Lastly through a hogshead of real fire!
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on

I have some friends who prefer the Stones to the Beatles. And I can agree with them to an extent.

Paint it Black and Gimme Shelter would be up there with any Beatles track, and rhythmically they surpass much of the Beatles work.

But lyrically, the Beatles are on a whole other level: just compare the lyrics to Paint it Black and Gimmie Shelter to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Elenor Rigby. No contest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I listened to St Peppers again a while back. It's an utterly fantastic album for the lyrics alone sometimes. Even the lesser known songs have, not only wonderful lyrics, but venture into a superb kaleidoscopic landscape at points.

I have some friends who prefer the Stones to the Beatles. And I can agree with them to an extent.

Paint it Black and Gimme Shelter would be up there with any Beatles track, and rhythmically they surpass much of the Beatles work.

But lyrically, the Beatles are on a whole other level: just compare the lyrics to Paint it Black and Gimmie Shelter to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Elenor Rigby. No contest.

I love the Stones too. There's a couple of Beggars Banquet that are right up there too - Sympathy for the Devil and Stray Cat Blues are marvellous pieces of work.

But the Beatles are on another level, I agree, and way ahead of their time. Bob Dylan was way ahead too - Subterranean Homesick Blues was released in 1965 and even now, 50 years later, I can't think of anything else like that song.

Anyway, the re-release of Sgt Peppers is in May :D

Definitely getting this.

'Lost' version of Lucy in the Sky, as well as Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields on there (which should have happened in 67 anyway).

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I love the Stones too. There's a couple of Beggars Banquet that are right up there too - Sympathy for the Devil and Stray Cat Blues are marvellous pieces of work.

But the Beatles are on another level, I agree, and way ahead of their time. Bob Dylan was way ahead too - Subterranean Homesick Blues was released in 1965 and even now, 50 years later, I can't think of anything else like that song.

Dylan's lyrics, now those would be incredible to compare to the Beatles. Dylan seemed to crash folk music and folksy stories right into popular music. I think some of my favourite Dylan tracks--the Hurricane especially--consist of Dylan guitar in hand telling me a story. And others--Ballad of a Thin Man for example--happily sit alongside Lennon and McCartney's dreamscape song lyrics, although always slightly heavier and sometimes slightly sneering: "You try so hard but you don't understand / Just what you will say when you get home". I wonder what they thought of each other at the time. You could imagine McCartney happily picking up a guitar to Blowin' in the Wind. And Lennon loving Subterranean Homesick Blues.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Anyway, the re-release of Sgt Peppers is in May :D

Definitely getting this.

'Lost' version of Lucy in the Sky, as well as Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields on there (which should have happened in 67 anyway).

Penny lane / strawberry fields best double A side ever released surely?

Most bands would give everything they have for one of those songs The beatles released both on the same single.

And it didn't even get to number one, he's a Leicester lad but Engelbert you have a lot to answer for.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Penny lane / strawberry fields best double A side ever released surely?

Most bands would give everything they have for one of those songs The beatles released both on the same single.

And it didn't even get to number one, he's a Leicester lad but Engelbert you have a lot to answer for.

Got to be, or at least one of. Imagine if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were included on Sgt Peppers. 

Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out superb too.

7 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Dylan's lyrics, now those would be incredible to compare to the Beatles. Dylan seemed to crash folk music and folksy stories right into popular music. I think some of my favourite Dylan tracks--the Hurricane especially--consist of Dylan guitar in hand telling me a story. And others--Ballad of a Thin Man for example--happily sit alongside Lennon and McCartney's dreamscape song lyrics, although always slightly heavier and sometimes slightly sneering: "You try so hard but you don't understand / Just what you will say when you get home". I wonder what they thought of each other at the time. You could imagine McCartney happily picking up a guitar to Blowin' in the Wind. And Lennon loving Subterranean Homesick Blues.

I've always put Dylan at the top lyrically. But I'd put Lennon, McCartney and Paul Simon closely in the next bracket. 

I saw an interview with Bowie where he said Dylan can just create these characters and make stories. Unbelievable. My favourite Dylan song is 'Positively 4th Street' - the lyrics have always got me.

• 1 month later...

Bought the re-release of Sgt Peppers on vinyl today.... sounds superb. Can totally tell the additions or whatever Martin has done.

Sides 3 and 4 got some demos on etc. 

Worth looking at.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2013 at 13:17, Trav Le Bleu said:

One thing I've recently thought about The Beatles is this - how much better cover versions of their songs are. So, good song writers, nothing special in the performance department. I've always thought they were the most over-rated band in the world (not that they were rubbish, but they certainly weren't anywhere near the greatness many people give to them.)

Their entire recording career lasted 7 years. 7 years.

The same amount of time it took Oasis to record 3 albums.

To write and record that amount of classics in such a short period of time is and will remain unmatched.

I admit I'm a little biased

• Like 2

On 7/15/2013 at 09:01, Fox92 said:

Ok. Not sure where you get that from though... When they toured, the fans would be so loud, and without technology we have now, they had to shout.

For me though, John Lennon's voice was the best. It has that 'Ive done a hard day at work' feel to it... It makes me happy, it makes me sad. 

Music is all about words for me though. I love John Lennon and Bob Dylan (sidetracking a bit here) and for me, they are the two greatest songwriters. Dylan, for example, was never a good singer himself, but as a songwriter and poet you will struggle to find better (although I do think Lennon is up there with him).

In fact, this is one of Lennon's greatest songs ever. The music isn't that good, he's wrote better, but the words stand out to me. They are truly excellent...

Agreed fox92. I struggle to put a fag paper between them. I'd slightly lean towards Dylan due to the volume of work and the way his songs, over a number of decades, take you on a journey. There's too many to mention them all but Time's they are a changing, Like a rolling stone, Positively 4th Street, Hard rain, Isis, Highlands are incredible songs.

Slow train coming, recorded in the late 70's, has lyrics more relevant today than they were when it was written. True genius.

As for Lennon, his words appeal to me on a more emotional level and you were never in doubt how he felt. Help is a perfect example of that.  His retort (How do you sleep?) to macca's song, Too many people, is on a par with Dylans positively 4th street as an acerbic aside to someone he felt sleighted by at the time.

Even some of his later songs like Watching the wheels (where his happiness at the time shines through) are classics.

Edited by Max Wall

13 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Their entire recording career lasted 7 years. 7 years.

The same amount of time it took Oasis to record 3 albums.

To write and record that amount of classics in such a short period of time is and will remain unmatched.

I admit I'm a little biased

haha you ain't biased.

Watching Sgt Peppers programme other week I learnt some new things. They used instruments which anybody else wouldn't even consider using in music. Penny Lane they pointed out, uses an organ from like the 15th century. Obviously that's even backed up with the influence of Indian music - Within Without You, Norweigan Wood, Love You Too... Much before any other artist used that influence (Donovon, The Kinks...). Backwards vocals on Rain, the guitar feedback on I Feel Fine (way before The Who, Hendrix, Clapton used guitar feedback on a song), Eight Days A Week was the first song to ever fade in. I could go on. They were great pioneers.

The run of records... Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers all within a 3 year span and there's not one bad song on each album. Was listening to Rubber Soul yesterday and I thought wow all these songs could have been singles. There's not one other artist ever that can boast such a great run of records... including Dylan, Stones and Bowie.

Absolutely unreal really. As you say, all within 7 years. Amazing. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2013 at 20:53, The Doctor said:

Sorry, so that I listen to music that requires talent makes my opinion irrelevant? How the **** did you make it to university with such poor reasoning skills?

If I were going to argue that a band were good, saying they inspired Oasis and that one of the bands members was the hero of the gallagher brothers is a very poor move.

Greatest song writers ever? Behave. As far as lyrical content goes Dio and Dylan are streets ahead, and well plenty of bands have produced better music to go with it. The whole backwards guitar and sing have never been done by anyone else because it's absolutely shit. Reversing the singing is what you do when you're a student radio station trying to censor tracks because you aren't considered anywhere near important enough to be sent radio edits, not when you're supposed to be a good band.

Bands covering yesterday a lot is no sign of quality - Justin Beiber is one of the most downloaded artists around and he's utter tosh. Hell, you could even put it then as being ridiculously simplistic, lacking any talent and so reproducable by any Joe on the street.

I like Ronnie James Dio and have seen him live twice. I've also seen Dylan 5 times. Dio, above Lennon as a songwriter? Behave. Unless you're referring to Neil Lennon.

Edited by Max Wall

On 12/18/2013 at 19:44, The Doctor said:

They are - your bias towards the beatles blinds you completely: Dio was pretty much the master of weaving social commentary as allegories in fantasy worlds: far more difficult than writing bleeding pop songs.

lol Yes, I have - repeatedly, and the lyrics in them are questionable... for instance:

Woke up, fell out of bed

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup

And looking up, I noticed I was late

That reads like the writing of a primary school child when asked to describe their day, rather than anything half decent.

Kinda how it was meant to come across, rushed. That really is the genius of it.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2014 at 22:15, DennisNedry said:

I didn't know till recently that Charles Manson interpreted Beatles songs as agreeing with his insane beliefs before his cult murdered all those people. 

Particularly Helter Skelter

On 11/10/2015 at 15:04, Fox92 said:

'The nations favourite Beatles number one' is on tomorrow at 8pm. ITV. 

Can't wait.

My vote would be 'Ticket to Ride' which is an absolutely brilliant track and a milestone in the evolution of the Beatles. The drums, the bass, the rhythm (and of course Lennon's vocal as excellent as always) of that song is unbelievable. Lennon always said it was one of his favourites out of the songs he wrote.

For me, one of the great things about them is that your favourite Beatles song tends to change quite a lot, especially as you get older. I struggle to name an absolute favourite but i've always thought Ticket To Ride is the most archetypal Beatles song.

On 11/25/2015 at 15:45, Fox92 said:

I actually watched Magical Mystery Tour for the first time in ages last week.

Love it. Although they must have been on drugs when they wrote it/come up with the idea. It's so strange and random, and of course 'I Am The Walrus' is performed too which in itself has some weird but clever lyrics.

Seem to remember it was premiered on BBC on boxing day (when there was 2 channels only). Can you imagine mid sixties buttoned up families sitting down and watching it lol.

Lennon wrote this after seeing a poster advertising a benefit for a Mr Kite. Lots of the lyrics (hogshead of real fire for instance) were directly taken from the poster.

I can't help myself, I think the guy was a genius.

Now, I've got to get off this sodding thread and do something useful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Lennon wrote this after seeing a poster advertising a benefit for a Mr Kite. Lots of the lyrics (hogshead of real fire for instance) were directly taken from the poster.

I can't help myself, I think the guy was a genius.

Now, I've got to get off this sodding thread and do something useful.

Heard that lyric a million times and it always stood out to me. Had no idea where it came from.

Happy 75th to Sir Paul.