Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Heard that lyric a million times and it always stood out to me. Had no idea where it came from.

Happy 75th to Sir Paul.

Lennon did that quite a lot. Some of the lyrics to Day In The Life were directly from a daily newspaper like 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire line which referred to potholes reported in the paper. I suppose a Day In The Life is more well known for that as the lyrics state 'I read the news today, oh boy' before listing things he'd read that day.

6 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Not too many bands you can do that with!

Well no, you can do that with any band if you're ok with their music. Can't remember the last time I skipped over anything on shuffle, but that's because I shuffle my music collection, and that's just got stuff I don't mind listening to in. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

Lennon did that quite a lot. Some of the lyrics to Day In The Life were directly from a daily newspaper like 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire line which referred to potholes reported in the paper. I suppose a Day In The Life is more well known for that as the lyrics state 'I read the news today, oh boy' before listing things he'd read that day.

A Day In The Life.... the crash etc was about a member of the house of Lords, smashed his car in Chelsea (I think it was). He drove through a red light.... The song is all true. And yeah the last part is about the newspaper cutting as you say.

I saw the other day though, something very interested, the Royal Albert Hall wrote a letter to the Beatles asking them to change the lyrics which Lennon said no because "we like the lyrics".

I've got a good little book which tells you about what every song is about. There's a bit of fact from each member in there too. It's how I remember which songs are about what.

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

92, I may be teaching you how to 'suck eggs' here but if you're as into the Beatles as I am, which it seems you are, Hunter Davies authorised biography is worth a read if you come across it anywhere.

Yeah, they're my favourite band, but I'm massively into them to the point of going into history and everything. I will take a look though cheers. I've heard about Davies. I've got a few books but not an authorized biography. 

Just now, Fox92 said:

Yeah, they're my favourite band, but I'm massively into them to the point of going into history and everything. I will take a look though cheers. I've heard about Davies. I've got a few books but not an authorized biography. 

In these days of media and multi-form availability there may be no massive revelations you don't already know. I seem to remember it being a good read though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone seen this yet? @Fox92 especially :D

I'm not a big fan of James Cordon but I quite like these Carpool Karaokes. I've never been able to make my mind up about Paul McCartney either but he comes across well in this I think. He's obviously still adored in Liverpool and the surprise at the end is quality.

Edited by Izzy Muzzett
  • Like 1

On 18/06/2017 at 18:38, Fox92 said:

A Day In The Life.... the crash etc was about a member of the house of Lords, smashed his car in Chelsea (I think it was). He drove through a red light.... The song is all true. 

Although refuted by McCartney - It was Tara Browne, heir to the Guinness fortune, (I don't believe in hexes or curses, but man, that dynasty). He was a hedonistic cult figure in London and leading socialite. Although he mixed in all the major circles of the sixties counter culture and was particularly close to Terrence Stamp, Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithful, BrianJones and David Hemmings and McCartney himself (he also dated Anita Pallenberg prior to Keith Richards) - ironically Browne's main desire was to become a racing driver. The Lotus that he crashed was hand painted. He was driving former Bond girl Suki Poitier home from a party at excessive speed through Kensington and having failed to clock the red light swerved to avoid a car into a parked lorry. Recently I took a friend on foot to see Stamford Bridge (she wanted to do the stadium tour). I was thinking about this because we walked from Earls Court tube station right past where it happened at Redcliffe Square. After we went in the opposite direction down Edith Grove where the Stones had their legendary hovel, up the Chelsea embankment and Cheyne Walk where Jagger and Richards both had houses (I think Abramovich owns one now...not that he's there much) and up into Hyde Park through Kensington - passing his former shop on the Kings Road. 

https://youtu.be/SN2doW5_EQA

On 18/06/2017 at 18:40, Fox92 said:

The Hunter Davies biography was the first book I owned on the Beatles as a kid. It's unique because of the access he was granted, spending time in their recording sessions and homes in 1967. As I recall there's a part of the book in which he's present at Paul's home in St John's Wood observing the composition of "I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends".

Incidentally, if you are planning to be in London PM me - to any Beatles aficionado - which you clearly are -  it's full of areas and places of interest. For example, the Apple HQ is on Saville Row is now an Abercrombie and Fitch so you can wander around  on every floor (can't get on the roof unfortunately), but you can imagine what it was like during the Let it Be sessions - although I don't think that the basement is accessible where the main studio was. 

Edited by Line-X

17 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Although refuted by McCartney - It was Tara Browne, heir to the Guinness fortune, (I don't believe in hexes or curses, but man, that dynasty). He was a hedonistic cult figure in London and leading socialite. Although he mixed in all the major circles of the sixties counter culture and was particularly close to Terrence Stamp, Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithful, BrianJones and David Hemmings and McCartney himself (he also dated Anita Pallenberg prior to Keith Richards) - ironically Browne's main desire was to become a racing driver. The Lotus that he crashed was hand painted. He was driving former Bond girl Suki Poitier home from a party at excessive speed through Kensington and having failed to clock the red light swerved to avoid a car into a parked lorry. Recently I took a friend on foot to see Stamford Bridge (she wanted to do the stadium tour). I was thinking about this because we walked from Earls Court tube station right past where it happened at Redcliffe Square. After we went in the opposite direction down Edith Grove where the Stones had their legendary hovel, up the Chelsea embankment and Cheyne Walk where Jagger and Richards both had houses (I think Abramovich owns one now...not that he's there much) and up into Hyde Park through Kensington - passing his former shop on the Kings Road. 

https://youtu.be/SN2doW5_EQA

The Hunter Davies biography was the first book I owned on the Beatles as a kid. It's unique because of the access he was granted, spending time in their recording sessions and homes in 1967. As I recall there's a part of the book in which he's present at Paul's home in St John's Wood observing the composition of "I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends".

Incidentally, if you are planning to be in London PM me - to any Beatles aficionado - which you clearly are -  it's full of areas and places of interest. For example, the Apple HQ is on Saville Row is now an Abercrombie and Fitch so you can wander around  on every floor (can't get on the roof unfortunately), but you can imagine what it was like during the Let it Be sessions - although I don't think that the basement is accessible where the main studio was. 

Those places all strike a chord with me as I spent a lot of time in my teens with my brother (1 year older) visiting that area because although I lived in Leicester my other 2 sisters and 2 brothers all lived in London with my sister living just around the corner from Edith Grove, I was actually born in St Stephens Hospital Fulham Road and my brother ran a mini-cab business on the Fulham road near Edith Gardens. This was around the time the Stones were living around there.

Happy memories, happy times.

• Like 2

On 06/07/2018 at 08:13, Izzy Muzzett said:

Anyone seen this yet? @Fox92 especially :D

I'm not a big fan of James Cordon but I quite like these Carpool Karaokes. I've never been able to make my mind up about Paul McCartney either but he comes across well in this I think. He's obviously still adored in Liverpool and the surprise at the end is quality.

I did watch this! Top bloke McCartney I'd love to meet him. Genuinely one of the most complete musicians of all time.

He's doing three UK tour dates this year and I've never seen him. He's in London the same day we play Palace away and I know I'll be going to Palace so going to try to get tickets to see him that weekend.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unpublished photos of The Beatles tell the story of their 1963 concert at De Montfort Hall
It was a Sunday night in December and the famous Leicester venue had not seen the like before - or since

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/gallery/unpublished-photos-beatles-tell-story-1909749

• Like 2

On 18/08/2018 at 08:26, davieG said:

Unpublished photos of The Beatles tell the story of their 1963 concert at De Montfort Hall
It was a Sunday night in December and the famous Leicester venue had not seen the like before - or since

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/gallery/unpublished-photos-beatles-tell-story-1909749

My dad saw The Beatles at De Monfort around this time, very possible he was at this gig.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very good video. I have read a lot about their songs and what they're about but it's great listening to the man himself. Talks about all his iconic songs.

Let It Be still gets me. Everytime I hear the opener about his mum :(

Honestly I think in 50/100/200 years time McCartney will stand alongside the likes of Mozart and Beethoven. 

• Like 1

Apropos nothing much but I have seen three of the Beatles at separate times.

Back in 1976, I was driving through Stafford and notice this green Rolls Royce Corniche slowly coming towards me. What struck me was it was how dirty it was, after that I noticed two dalmatian dogs heads peering out of the rear window. As I glanced to the driver, it was Paul rubber-necking the town through an open window.

I saw George at the LA Forum with Eric Clapton, he came on for the last few songs in the encore.

We went to see Ringo with his All Star Band in Portsmouth Virginia. He had Sheila E. Roger Hodgson (Supertramp), Greg Lake (EL&P}, Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople) and Howard Jones.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

Who was the better songwriter, McCartney or Lennon?

Ohhh THE question. It's all opinion and I don't think there is an answer.

BUT for me personally I prefer Lennon's lyrics (as I his songs were often deeper) but McCartney's music is better. In fact, I think McCartney's the greatest ever at writing music.

Here's a video....

Edited by Fox92

If I did a playlist of 50 tracks then i reckon 40 would be Lennon songs. I prefer his voice to McCartney and prefer his style of writing as well. Saying that Helter Skelter is probably my favourite track The Beatles did.

Edited by The soup nazi

1 hour ago, The soup nazi said:

If I did a playlist of 50 tracks then i reckon 40 would be Lennon songs. I prefer his voice to McCartney and prefer his style of writing as well. Saying that Helter Skelter is probably my favourite track The Beatles track. 

Yeah, Lennon's voice is great. It's so rough and I like that. Actually one of my favourite Beatles moments is his solo in 'This Boy' he really is superb vocally.

• Like 1

They were completely different to each other but that's what made them so good when they wrote together.

Why do people want to create some sort of hierarchy let's appreciate people as individuals fair enough debating who you prefer.:dunno:

• Like 1