Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Playing badly

No idea why some of you follow competitive sport.

Result is always far more important than performance.

Last year we lost points when completely outplaying the opposition, but didn't win any whilst playing poorly. 

This year we have 7 from 9 whilst playing even worse than during our bad run last year.

Difference? - We know how to win.

Last year we lost points when completely outplaying the opposition, but didn't win any whilst playing poorly. 

This year we have 7 from 9 whilst playing even worse than during our bad run last year.

We've won two games.

Result is never more important than performance.

I'm happy to take the points but I can't help but feel it'll be a bit short lived if we keep playing like that. We offered literally no attacking threat, you've only got to look at our goal.

The defence is playing excellently but our lack of spark going forward is worrying. I can't knock the results, but I think we've been pretty lucky so far.

I'm happy to take the points but I can't help but feel it'll be a bit short lived if we keep playing like that. We offered literally no attacking threat, you've only got to look at our goal.

The defence is playing excellently but our lack of spark going forward is worrying. I can't knock the results, but I think we've been pretty lucky so far.

Totally agree. Knockaert needs to be intergrated into this side somewhere at the expense of one of the midfield 3 but whether Nigel will do this is unknown. My personal opinion is that for the home games he needs to start. Theres no point throwing him on for the last 20 as it just wont work. Knocky is a player that thrives on confidence so needs to feel involved 

We have played 3 league games now, and haven't played very well in any of them.

- Middlesborough - Got battered first half and could have been well down, good recovery to snatch a win.

- Leeds - Played poorly all game.

- Derby - Did OK first half, then got hammered 2nd half and just about clung on.

Some say that a sign of a successful side is that they pick up points when playing badly. But you could say that we have been fortunate so far, and if we do not start playing better, we won't continue to pick up points at such a rate...

I'm trying not to be too negative am I am enjoying the win today!! But we need to improve the performaces quickly!

COYB :scarf:

As you said the championship is about picking up points . It would be nice too see us playin like barca each week but tbh that won't happen. I would rather see us avg 2 points a game all season with scrappy football than watch us make 25 good passes to give away procession and a goal each week. COYB !

We know this squad can play well it did it for 2 months in late September and October and through all of January. There were flashes of brilliance at other times as well. However, the horrible run of form from February to April still cuts deep and I think this has led Pearson to go back to basics. Whilst I can't tolerate defensive and negative football at home, with zero creativity in the side I think it will gradually come. My concerns for the start of this season was a hangover from last but so far we seem dogged and resiliant, which is so far so good. Let's build on it with a good performance at home on Saturday.

IMO you only win when playing badly if you are organised, well drilled and full of effort. It may only last for so long (bound to be mistakes and poor performances) but there's a reason City are winning at the minute, it's just not luck. It's full credit to a set of players which are still clearly struggling to find their own form yet still strong as a unit.

Also think the playing badly on Derby is a bit of a red herring as a lot of Derby fans are crediting us with an ideal away performance. Even comparing it to Hull and Cardiff's wins at Pride Park last season.

Taking 3 points from Pride Park is no easy thing. Derby usually have one of the better home records in the division. While we may not have oozed flair and creativity, it was a brilliant away performance where, despite not being anywhere near top gear going forwards, we were solid and resolute as a defensive unit. As many have said we would have lost a game like that last season e.g. Millwall away, Ipswich away.... or buckled under pressure e.g. Brighton away, cardiff away... Surely every Leicester fan can be pleased with the 3 points. I can understand the worries about the performance but it really wasn't that bad and it is still early days and we know we have a lot lot more to offer going forwards. Delighted that Moore and Morgan are forming a formidable partnership

Taking 3 points from Pride Park is no easy thing. Derby usually have one of the better home records in the division. While we may not have oozed flair and creativity, it was a brilliant away performance where, despite not being anywhere near top gear going forwards, we were solid and resolute as a defensive unit. As many have said we would have lost a game like that last season e.g. Millwall away, Ipswich away.... or buckled under pressure e.g. Brighton away, cardiff away... Surely every Leicester fan can be pleased with the 3 points. I can understand the worries about the performance but it really wasn't that bad and it is still early days and we know we have a lot lot more to offer going forwards. Delighted that Moore and Morgan are forming a formidable partnership

Before Saturday we'd won 6 of our last 7 against Derby so it's not that hard

When coupled with what little we've seen so far and pre season I don't think anyone can be accused of being overly pessimistic about our performances, the results, Leeds aside which was a little disappointing have been fantastic.

I just can't see us keeping it up unless we improve. Don't get me wrong if we carry on playing like this and are still winning in ten games time you wont see me complaining

Before Saturday we'd won 6 of our last 7 against Derby so it's not that hard

Who cares what we've done there in the past. The point is that not many teams will win at Pride Park this season. We did! Whether we usually beat them or not it doesn't matter, it's still typically a hard place to go and get points for any championship side.

When coupled with what little we've seen so far and pre season I don't think anyone can be accused of being overly pessimistic about our performances, the results, Leeds aside which was a little disappointing have been fantastic.

I just can't see us keeping it up unless we improve. Don't get me wrong if we carry on playing like this and are still winning in ten games time you wont see me complaining

Fair enough. To be honest it's just nice to get some points early on. Much rather that than be playing well and not getting rewarded for it like last season. I know that eventually turned around and we went on a good run or two, but it also fell apart again towards end of last season and we were even unable to grind out wins. I'll only be concerned should we be relying solely on gritty wins after 10 or so games and this type of performance seems to be the best we can offer.

Who cares what we've done there in the past. The point is that not many teams will win at Pride Park this season. We did! Whether we usually beat them or not it doesn't matter, it's still typically a hard place to go and get points for any championship side.

You cited their past record in your post as evidence of how difficult you thought it would be, I was simply replying to that. Last year they lost 4 times, year before 8, year before that 11 and before that 8. 

Also, how do you know that not many sides will beat them?

You cited their past record in your post as evidence of how difficult you thought it would be, I was simply replying to that. Last year they lost 4 times, year before 8, year before that 11 and before that 8. 

Also, how do you know that not many sides will beat them?

You used our record against them, rather than their general home record which I was alluding to? 

In my opinion not many sides will beat them. But I shouldn't have to say "in my opinion" every time I express an opinion. The fact I'm saying it should show it's what I think. Anyway all minor points. Stick by what I said about Pride Park being a tough place to go and that not many will take lots of points from there, irrelevant of whether we have a fantastic recent record against them or not...

Altogether a great result 

You used our record against them, rather than their general home record which I was alluding to? 

In my opinion not many sides will beat them. But I shouldn't have to say "in my opinion" every time I express an opinion. The fact I'm saying it should show it's what I think. Anyway all minor points. Stick by what I said about Pride Park being a tough place to go and that not many will take lots of points from there, irrelevant of whether we have a fantastic recent record against them or not...

Altogether a great result 

I did indeed because we have a great record there (see Corky's post), I also know that historically it's not a particularly tricky place to go (that Prem season when they went 32 games (38 in total) without a win home or away was quite a low point.

I did indeed because we have a great record there (see Corky's post), I also know that historically it's not a particularly tricky place to go (that Prem season when they went 32 games (38 in total) without a win home or away was quite a low point.

I suppose. But talking about that prem season is a bit different though, considering it's the prem. Last season they lost 4 you say? I see that as far more relevant than what  they did a few seasons ago really...

I suppose. But talking about that prem season is a bit different though, considering it's the prem. Last season they lost 4 you say? I see that as far more relevant than what  they did a few seasons ago really...

So now we can use the past. This is very difficult to follow.

Derby are not a great side, if they fail to keep hold of Hughes they'll be a very ordinary one. There are very few goals in that side either.

It is nice (if not uncommon) to win at Derby but those wins are inconsequential, it is our record in the south which needs to to improve if we are to to make progress.

So know we can use the past. This is very difficult to follow.

Derby are not a great side, if they fail to keep hold of Hughes they'll be a very ordinary one. There are very few goals in that side either.

It is nice (if not uncommon) to win at Derby but those wins are inconsequential, it is our record in the south which needs to to improve if we are to to make progress.

It's not difficult to follow at all... 

I do agree that our record in the South must improve. No idea why it is so bad. 

This season we needed to vastly improve away from home on last season. So far we have won 2 out of 2 away from home. Yes, those points have come from places we have good recent form at, but they are away wins nonetheless and not to be discredited simply because we always do well against these teams...

Archived