Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Playing badly

I'd be far more worried if we were playing out of our skins and unable to get a result.

Cardiff were about as impressive as A cup tits in their games against us last season, yet still took 4 points. They were organised, solid, took their breaks and rode their luck. It sounds as though we achieved the same at Pride Park today.

Early days still, but we haven't played that great at all, but as long as we win games especially early on in the season, to give us a healthy start then that's all I'm bothered about.

But like last season, with this squad and the size of it, it's quite possible that we will lack consistency again, on evidence from the first three games, there's still certain problems in certain areas, midfield needs a bit of finesse added to it, I don't want to see James, King and Drinkwater play week in week out, because to be honest it's a pretty negative set up, and all three players have been pretty average so far. Strikers haven't looked sharp enough so far, only Vardy seems to be doing things, hopefully Nugent and Wood can get up and running soon, to give them a bit of confidence then goals may start flowing.

But like I said early days so far, but even though we've been average, we have collected seven points and that is brilliant, as I honestly thought we would pick up about four max from our first three games. 

Also an honorable mention goes to the defence, so far so good, Morgan and Moore performing well together again, is our biggest positive so far. 

Delighted with 7 out of 9, but I fear how we'll fair against the likes of Watford, QPR, Forest, Bolton, Wigan etc.

I can see NP dipping into the loan market to bring in an attacking or creative player, at least I hope he does.

It's no good living on last seasons glory's whilst the players in the squad might have only changed slightly we're seem to be employing a completely different ethos and tactical set up  to last season. We seem to be adopting a more classic Nigel Pearson approach. If we score six in a game this season playing 3-5-2 I'll be astonished. 

Our performances, for me, have been worrying, you have to remember we are yet to play, in my eyes, a decent Championship team. I can't see us keeping up anything like promotion form should we carry on like this the better teams will break us down and beat us,

Although I do agree with however pointed out Cardiff as an example of going up despite not playing well, they were a shower whenever I watched them last season but still managed to go up at a canter. So who knows.

Can I please Enjoy the win today?

Thought I'd ask first as there's always something wrong, Pearson has OBVIOUSLY done/not done something.

'OMG play 3-52....yeah it doesn't work Pearson you idiot'

I could go on all night but I'm currently writing to Nigel to tell him I regularly burn my face on my oven to alleviate the inner pain I feel when he doesn't listen when I say play knockaert/Marshall in the middle

Until after a few games where we would concede through having one man less in midfield. At which point it'll probably be....why doesn't waghorn/futacs start - Pearson you idiot

:P

Guest Mee-9

Today it could have been easy for us to concede late on like we've all seen before. 

Soaked up the pressure well. I'll take picking up wins away from home playing ugly, but we'll need to express ourselves and play better against the superior teams of the division. 

This squad last season produced probably the best football ever seen at the KP at times.

None of our strikers are in form and we're winning. When Nuge and Wood refind that confidence we'll be running 4's and 5's past teams and I'm pleased that that's not the case early on in the season.  

Being able to grind out results is vital in this league. Today was the perfect example....we would of lost that game last season.

From the games so far I see a more resolute team and a manager that is adapting the team to each individual match rather than sticking with a standard formation week in week out regardless of the opposition.

We've had a solid start to the season but just need to be a bit smarter in the final third which will come as the confidence grows

Points win prizes, performances on top would be nice but not essential. We have a fraction under 10% of our total haul from last season already. Bring on the dross if it works.

What do points mean?!?!?!?!

Being able to grind out results is vital in this league. Today was the perfect example....we would of lost that game last season.

From the games so far I see a more resolute team and a manager that is adapting the team to each individual match rather than sticking with a standard formation week in week out regardless of the opposition.

We've had a solid start to the season but just need to be a bit smarter in the final third which will come as the confidence grows

Basically summarised how I view where we are right now. There are things that we've improved upon as you've mentioned and things that still need improvement. Determination, tactical flexibility and picking up points have all been encouraging features in our first four games. It's good to see that the team and management have pushed us forward in places where we were perhaps a little weak before.

I'm pretty optimistic right now, clear signs of progress from last season. It's mostly just the creativity and goalscoring that we're waiting for now.

Good post as usual.

I agree with this.

I recall the start of last season when many got excited that we were playing some lovely, attractive football away at Charlton and Blackburn... But we were losing....

If Pearson has learnt a lesson, I hope that it's wiser to be solid away from home, grinding out results, than it is to play too expansively and to leave yourself open to the counter-attack.

However, now we need to get back to that quick-flowing direct football that characterised our early home form of last season.

Away- be sensible

Home- be exciting

That's how we should do well this season.

I agree with this -we need to play more exciting stuff at home how about beating birmingham next home game well-3-0?? would suit me!

The difference this season is that we are more than happy to let the opposition attack us,rather than us attacking them and so far its been fruitful..yet as said we have only played average sides,when we come up against the likes of Forest,Watford ,Wigan and Bolton we are going to have to be more adventurous as sitting back against these sides would be stupid.

We didn't play badly yesterday. It was a very decent away performance for over an hour, how many chances did they create? I can't remember one real one, only 2 or 3 half ones.

On the other hand we could have had 3 in the first half (and they were real chances) and we defended very solidly on the whole.

We were sloppy with our passing in good positions, that was my main gripe, and the substitutions were baffling. After them, we were just clinging on a bit.

I'm convinced we'll play better as time goes on.

We weren't bored much under Sven were we? The difference between Nigel and Sven is, one likes concentrating on attacking than defending while the other likes the opposite. To be honest you've got remember these scrappy type one-nil wins are Pearson's style and this is what well all expected when he returned. If you think of it, it's a bit like James Bond, Sven is like Roger Moore where in is films he as all the cool stunts and big action chase scenes, bigger plots plus the funny wit of Roger Moore. While Nigel is the Timothy Dalton style where he is the gritty dark bond, with less stunts, less gags and more down to earth plots making his films pretty boring. Everyone prefers excitement! 

We weren't bored much under Sven were we? The difference between Nigel and Sven is, one likes concentrating on attacking than defending while the other likes the opposite. To be honest you've got remember these scrappy type one-nil wins are Pearson's style and this is what well all expected when he returned. If you think of it, it's a bit like James Bond, Sven is like Roger Moore where in is films he as all the cool stunts and big action chase scenes, bigger plots plus the funny wit of Roger Moore. While Nigel is the Timothy Dalton style where he is the gritty dark bond, with less stunts, less gags and more down to earth plots making his films pretty boring. Everyone prefers excitement! 

About £10m in wages.

In what way were we "hammered" second half? Derby tested our keeper twice at best. For a 25 minute period before half time Lee Grant saved at point blank range and we were constantly looking a big threat. We sat back second half and Derby wouldnt have scored if they had another 90 minutes

I think we are showing something different this year! Last year in these three games performance wise i think we would probably only picked up a point maybe 2, so to have 7 out of 9 and 2 away wins out of two is making me feel very positive for the season! keep up the good work lads

Archived