Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Playing badly

We have played 3 league games now, and haven't played very well in any of them.

- Middlesborough - Got battered first half and could have been well down, good recovery to snatch a win.

- Leeds - Played poorly all game.

- Derby - Did OK first half, then got hammered 2nd half and just about clung on.

Some say that a sign of a successful side is that they pick up points when playing badly. But you could say that we have been fortunate so far, and if we do not start playing better, we won't continue to pick up points at such a rate...

I'm trying not to be too negative am I am enjoying the win today!! But we need to improve the performaces quickly!

COYB :scarf:

We have played 3 league games now, and haven't played very well in any of them.

- Middlesborough - Got battered first half and could have been well down, good recovery to snatch a win.

- Leeds - Played poorly all game.

- Derby - Did OK first half, then got hammered 2nd half and just about clung on.

Some say that a sign of a successful side is that they pick up points when playing badly. But you could say that we have been fortunate so far, and if we do not start playing better, we won't continue to pick up points at such a rate...

I'm trying not to be too negative am I am enjoying the win today!! But we need to improve the performaces quickly!

COYB :scarf:

Points win prizes, performances on top would be nice but not essential. We have a fraction under 10% of our total haul from last season already. Bring on the dross if it works.

It depends what your definition of playing badly. For me, the football has been unattractive, but effective. We've limited teams to few chances and whilst our attacking flair has deserted us so far, that may be the price we have to pay for making our side harder to beat. However, by NP's own admission, he was disappointed by the performance today, in particular our energy levels and ability to retain possession.

Last year we started off playing brilliantly and not getting the results. Many said if we remained patient the results would turn and they did.

I am concerned that we may see the same in reverse this season.

I went to Middlesbrough, Wycombe and Leeds and we were completely devoid of ideas in the two league games and worryingly short of them in the Cup.

Today sounded very similar.

NP has my full support, but it's far harder to like what he's doing with the team this season than last.

I made the point in another thread that we have done well against sides who are probably going to finish mid-table ish.

However, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Where I'm chuffed is in the gritty, determined performances away from home. This is reminiscent of Pearson's first spell at the club.

Now we need to couple that with some more free-flowing performances at home.

It's only three games in though. So it's way to early to tell anything much.

Last season we played exceptionally well at both Blackburn and Birmingham and won neither. It seems things do even themselves out! I'd like to see us playing better though. Our luck will run out eventually.

Good post as usual.

I agree with this.

I recall the start of last season when many got excited that we were playing some lovely, attractive football away at Charlton and Blackburn... But we were losing....

If Pearson has learnt a lesson, I hope that it's wiser to be solid away from home, grinding out results, than it is to play too expansively and to leave yourself open to the counter-attack.

However, now we need to get back to that quick-flowing direct football that characterised our early home form of last season.

Away- be sensible

Home- be exciting

That's how we should do well this season.

i'll take 1-0 boring games, back against the wall type scenarios every game if it means we pick up 3 points. It's all about the W in my eyes. ugly or not. 

Never! i want to see end to end 3-2 wins thrillers. These boring 1-0 wins doesn't do much for the atmosphere.

More often than not playing badly is a sign of a bad team.

I'd place the blame for these poor performances squarely at the players door and not Pearson's. You can tell when Pearson has sent us out to be dull and this season he hasn't done that once it's been players failing to execute instructions.

We are playing poorly, but we can offer a lot more. I'm hoping that we'll get through the early stages with a healthy points total and then start to play with more freedom.

Last season as soon as we got into a good position in the league we stopped playing with freedom.

Last season as soon as we got into a good position in the league we stopped playing with freedom.

I see that but I feel this type of game has come about from the bad fallaway from last season, where we conceded too many goals (average of two per game in the last 10 or so wasn't it?), so maybe we are starting pragmatically, regaining confidence and consistency before going back to a fluent style? I hope so in any case.

Archived