Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tcrofts

Sven

Guest MattP

That descibes the vast majority of players nowadays.

Do you really believe that the current squad give a flying one about the team?

I believe they care more than the John Pantsil's and Gelson Fernandes etc did.

Revisionist history at its finest.

Should I discount Pearson's league 2 title because he had the biggest budget in that division?

Lazio have won 13 major honours in their history, 7 of them under Sven. He won a UEFA cup with a side from the 'mighty' Swedish league and was runner up in the UEFA cup and European cup with a side from the 'mighty' Portuguese league. He may not have got anywhere near those heights here but to disregard the achievements one of the finest coaches in European history to support Nigel ****ing Pearson is churlish in the extreme.

The Italian Super Cup is now a major honour? lol

The Serie A and Coppa Italia I'll give you, you expect that though given he spent about 300million. Let's face it Sergio Cragnotti takes as much credit for it as Sven did.

You'll find Leeds had the biggest budget that season but I still expected top two from him and he delivered, wouldn't discount it but not a huge achievement either. More impressed the the fact he took virtually the same side to within a inch of the play off final the year after.

Super Cup, a glamorous friendly basically.

6 league titles, 5 of which which were before 1991, with by far the biggest club and budget in the two mighty leagues of Sweden and Portugal.

Shall we stick the 'FA Summer tournament 1994' where we beat Iceland and Japan in as an International trophy as well?

Anyone know what Herb Chapman is doing these days? Get him in.

Jesus Christ lol

Well neither of them have got us promoted to the premier.

It's your opinion that it's not worth arguing over, Pearson has yet to prove anything.

Beaten to it.

He walked into a relegated squad and got us promoted at the first time of asking. How many other bigs clubs failed to get back to the Championship at the first attempt, let alone walk the league? Oh, I recall Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds, Southampton, Nottingham Forest and Swindon (amongst others) all failing to win promotion.

Pearson then made us the 5th best team in the Championship. Tight budget and some good signings.

Left and rebuilt Hull. Sorted their finances out and built the squad for the next manager, and Bruce won promotion with that.

Come back and had a difficult job. Finances are a mess and the squad is full of overpaid players. Nothing in the first half season, but we made the play offs the following season.

I just enjoy Nigel being in charge more. Signings are better, I have more confidence in the team and the squad look more together. We have the ability to dig deep when it matters and win an ugly 1-0 game, such as against Derby. Whilst no manager have got us promoted to the Premier League since Micky Adams (hero), we have come the closest twice and that was when Nigel Pearson was manager.

FFS. Did we really need another thread like this? I think we've been over the arguments for and against Sven a million times. If people haven't seen the light yet they never will.

Should have been posted in General Sport.

Guest MattP

FFS. Did we really need another thread like this? I think we've been over the arguments for and against Sven a million times. If people haven't seen the light yet they never will.

Should have been posted in General Sport.

Very true.

I don't quite understand how anyone can defend Sven as a manager, nice enough guy, but a manager he aint.

He may well of given Neville a list of players he wanted and let Neville do the negotiating but the players Sven wanted were dog shite. He didn't do any homework on players and I think he just literally looked at the stats for the previous season and picked the best.

Part of Pearson's scouting process is to not just pick good players, but the personality is just as important. I don't think Sven would of cared if we had hitler playing for us, as long as he could play football (Which alot of his signings couldn't).

I am clear that Pearson can do no wrong to some on this forum, but he has made mistakes with the quality of his transfers when money was available, so did Sven, but to say Sven isn't a manager is laughable, do rubbish managers keep getting high profile jobs.

Ok Sven has become a bit of a journeyman since the England job, but I'm with a few on here that believe given time I think we would be playing in the premier league now, but we will never know because the owners panicked when we had a couple of dodgy results and not at the top.

I still think the owners will stick around for the long haul, and their mistakes are clear for everyone to see, and if given the chance to turn the clocks back I'm sure the would have stuck it out with Sven, well at least given him the full season.

Nigel's interviews yesterday about how hard it's going to be to get out of this league this year makes the mistakes in managers and players a harder pill to swallow, as I think with the financial constraints now in, and our better players out of contract this summer, I feel it is now or never for promotion.

He walked into a relegated squad and got us promoted at the first time of asking. How many other bigs clubs failed to get back to the Championship at the first attempt, let alone walk the league? Oh, I recall Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds, Southampton, Nottingham Forest and Swindon (amongst others) all failing to win promotion.

Whilst no manager have got us promoted to the Premier League since Micky Adams (hero), we have come the closest twice and that was when Nigel Pearson was manager.

Almost any half decent manager would have got that squad promoted.

There are a number of teams who have come straight back up, one of them has managed to a second promotion on the bounce.

No other manager has failed (twice) to get us through the semis of the play-offs.

The defence he gets from some on here is unbelievable. Absolute fraud of a manager who's done a great deal of damage to us with his reckless spending.

If anyone needed hard evidence that he's got no financial control, then here it is.

Guest MattP

Sven would've never signed Knockaert. He hardly signed any up and coming players for us.

The money for Knockaert would have been spent getting Michael Ball and Michael Johnson.

The defence he gets from some on here is unbelievable. Absolute fraud of a manager who's done a great deal of damage to us with his reckless spending.

If anyone needed hard evidence that he's got no financial control, then here it is.

His record shows that he wasn't a fraud, his spending while with us was reckless though.

There are plenty of other managers who have been worse for us.

Almost any half decent manager would have got that squad promoted.

There are a number of teams who have come straight back up, one of them has managed to a second promotion on the bounce.

No other manager has failed (twice) to get us through the semis of the play-offs.

That final bit is a truly bizarre argument. How many managers have even got us there?

Sven spent the most money in the league, and there were hardly any times in his year when I thought we were going up. When we went on that run in Jan/Feb 2011, then I did begin to think we were the side who'd creep in and do it, but other than that we were the same inconsistent load of crap that lacked fight when it mattered.

His record shows that he wasn't a fraud, his spending while with us was reckless though.

There are plenty of other managers who have been worse for us.

Football's passed him by. He's done absolutely nothing for years and yet he still manages to con people into thinking he's any good nowadays.

The money for Knockaert would have been spent getting Michael Ball and Michael Johnson.

Or handing another new contract to someone who didn't deserve one. Five years for Steve Howard, £20k a week.

Guest MattP

Maybe he should do a Sven then and try to make sure we miss out.

Guest MattP

He could do a Little or MON and get us to a final.

Surely he'd be better off finishing 8th and receiving the admiration of the Sven massive!

On a serious note reading the article anyone get the impression Sven is a bit simple? If he is prepared to toss 10million of his own cash away to someone you can imagine how responsible he'll be with somebodys elses. Amazing how any financial fcuk up connected to him is always somebodys elses fault though.

A fool and his money.....

How has he got away with it?

Even if he was sacked to soon.. and could get us up. at what price?

i would hate to see the debt we would be in because of him.

It was a gamble spending like they did when Sven came in, if we has gone straight up the money from promotion would have balanced the books, and i am sure the owners would have invested as they have in the championship, in the premier league, to remain in the top flight,and if they stuck with him and promotion was obtained we wouldn't be this much in debt, it's still being in the championship which is currently hurting us financially, not Sven.

The only way to balance the books is promotion, the current management of the club are not willing to risk breaking the new rules in case we don't go up, as we cannot afford the penalties, so I think losing money hand over fist since Sven left cannot be svens fault.

Some on here think the defence of Pearson by some on here is unbelievable.

It's a matter of who you rate and who you don't, no manager will not be liked by all, but some more than others.

Ok Sven spent well but as I have stated in the other post the 100 mill debt is not just down to Sven, we have brought the ground 17 mill, compensation to Sven, compensation to hull, mill a year for Pearson, players wages, alot of svens signings have been long of the books, financial backing for pearsons signings,investment in the stadium and training ground improvements.

The debt isn't just from Sven, and I know we have no god given rights to get promoted, but not getting promoted is hurting us more than Sven did, as the owners have made everything about the club ready for premier league football without being in the premier league.

Some on here think the defence of Pearson by some on here is unbelievable.

It's a matter of who you rate and who you don't, no manager will not be liked by all, but some more than others.

Ok Sven spent well but as I have stated in the other post the 100 mill debt is not just down to Sven, we have brought the ground 17 mill, compensation to Sven, compensation to hull, mill a year for Pearson, players wages, alot of svens signings have been long of the books, financial backing for pearsons signings,investment in the stadium and training ground improvements.

The debt isn't just from Sven, and I know we have no god given rights to get promoted, but not getting promoted is hurting us more than Sven did, as the owners have made everything about the club ready for premier league football without being in the premier league.

The plan in season 10/11 was promotion, it's been the same plan ever since.

Guest MattP

The plan in season 10/11 was promotion, it's been the same plan ever since.

Definitely.

What do you think the expectation is from the board this year given the fact he hasn't been able to bring anyone in and the strength of the sides coming down? Top 6?

Archived