Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tcrofts

Sven

I think some here need to get something clear; Sven was not doing the deals, all he was doing was giving the owners and Neville names of players he wanted and the rest was being done by Neville under the say so of the owners.

So if you want someone to blame for the spending while Sven was Manager you need to look no further than the owners, who were at the time so Green you wouldn't have spotted them if they jogged around the pitch last home game of the season with the Birch.

Their mistake was in not bringing in an experienced football man to oversee the club at the time and curb some of the outlay / get the players on more reasonable terms.

Guest MattP

Automatic promotion is the aim. It was the aim in 10/11, it's been the same ever since.

I know it's the aim, I'm asking what you think the realistic expectation is this season.

The board can't seriously be demanding top two after not spending a penny in the summer surely?

I know it's the aim, I'm asking what you think the realistic expectation is this season.

The board can't seriously be demanding top two after not spending a penny in the summer surely?

Automatic promotion. If they expected it last season with this side why would they not expect exactly the same this?

The plan in season 10/11 was promotion, it's been the same plan ever since.

Don't doubt it is but the language being used by the present management doesn't appear to be confident in achieving that, due to finacial constraints.

If promotion remains the objective year on year, the wrong people have clearly been in charge of the team, Sousa, Sven and possibly Pearson if promotion is not achieved again this season.

If promotion isn't achieved I would suspect a change of managers, and just hope the owners have learnt some lessons before employing the next manager.

Don't doubt it is but the language being used by the present management doesn't appear to be confident in achieving that, due to finacial constraints.

If promotion remains the objective year on year, the wrong people have clearly been in charge of the team, Sousa, Sven and possibly Pearson if promotion is not achieved again this season.

If promotion isn't achieved I would suspect a change of managers, and just hope the owners have learnt some lessons before employing the next manager.

I think even NFP understands that. I would imagine our next appointment will have considerable Premiership experience.

Guest MattP

Automatic promotion. If they expected it last season with this side why would they not expect exactly the same this?

Well we have lost players for a start and surely they would realise with squads like QPR/Wigan and Reading coming down we would need to really strengthen to be in with a chance of that?

Does this mean the poor bastard who come in next in year (after probably losing Kasper, Morgan, SSL and Nugent) will also be told his expectation is top two while he has nothing to spend and the teams coming down can use 60million each?

This is going to be the hardest job in football.

Well we have lost players for a start and surely they would realise with squads like QPR/Wigan and Reading coming down we would need to really strengthen to be in with a chance of that?

Does this mean the poor bastard who come in next in year (after probably losing Kasper, Morgan, SSL and Nugent) will also be told his expectation is top two while he has nothing to spend and the teams coming down can use 60million each?

Do Beckford & Wellens count as losing players?

Kasper, SSL & Nugent leaving would free up a fair bit in the way of salaries.

It's only a mere 23m in the fiirst year of parachute payments.

Should have got it right last season, the best chance we've had in years was thrown away.

Have a word with yourself. This job is a piece of piss compared to most.

Promotion is, was and always will be the aim.

Guest MattP

Do Beckford & Wellens count as losing players?

Kasper, SSL & Nugent leaving would free up a fair bit in the way of salaries.

It's only a mere 23m in the fiirst year of parachute payments.

Should have got it right last season, the best chance we've had in years was thrown away.

Agree with the last line though I'd say last two seasons.

Yeah of course they count, they are in the squad and haven't been replaced.

Have a word with yourself. This job is a piece of piss compared to most.

Promotion is, was and always will be the aim.

Fair enough, good luck to whoever takes over next year. little money, best players gone, strong ex Premier sides loaded with cash to compete with.

Just top two will do mate, piece of piss.

Agree with the last line though I'd say last two seasons.

Yeah of course they count, they are in the squad and haven't been replaced.

Fair enough, good luck to whoever takes over next year. little money, best players gone, strong Premier sides loaded with cash to compete with.

Just top two will do mate, piece of piss.

There is ****ing loads of money here. Our 'reduced' wage bill is still one most clubs at our level could dream of (substantially higher than promoted Hull and Palace's).

Top two is what the owners want, don't blame me for that. If you look at any of my posts you'll see that I couldn't give a shit about promotion.

I'm still inclined to think that the owners are holding the money back to see how well we start, I'm hoping money will be released for loans should we start well (8 games not 3) or will be given to the new manager for spending in January.

I have thought this myself, if we lost at forest Pearson would have gone with the end of season results, and I think they are a bit worried to let the manager invest more money, incase he started the season badly and they sacked him, and then employ a new manager who would want to invest in his own players.

As it goes we have had a decent start, I know its only 3 games, and we have not been convincing, but if we keep it up and Pearson is staying, I hope your thoughts are right and they release some funds for loans etc.

I'm still inclined to think that the owners are holding the money back to see how well we start, I'm hoping money will be released for loans should we start well (8 games not 3) or will be given to the new manager for spending in January.

Couldn't be more wrong on the finance side. New Manager wouldn't surprise me though. Only reason we kept Pearson is because we couldn't afford/attract anyone better

The Thais, Neville, Sven. They're all to blame for the position we're in now as far as I'm concerned.

I like King Power as owners but they sanctioned the spending in the first instance and made a rod for their own back by being seemingly completely clueless when they first showed up. If it wasn't Sven it probably would've been some other over-the-hill, overpaid mercenary throwing sovs around.

As for Pearson leaving at the end of this season should he not get promotion - I'm not so certain. Provided we've had a decent season on the pitch, I think the owners will assess any off-field progress being made before approaching someone else. Only they really know the exact figures of just how much the club is hemorrhaging and what Pearson's trying to resolve regarding shifting deadweight, and they'll be aware of / value his shrewdness in the transfer market following Sven's recklessness. More hits than misses with Nige.

Guest MattP
As for Pearson leaving at the end of this season should he not get promotion - I'm not so certain. Provided we've had a decent season on the pitch, I think the owners will assess any off-field progress being made before approaching someone else. Only they really know the exact figures of just how much the club is hemorrhaging and what Pearson's trying to resolve regarding shifting deadweight, and they'll be aware of / value his shrewdness in the transfer market following Sven's recklessness. More hits than misses with Nige.

Let's hope so.

Guest MattP

How come RDM is still unemployed?

Interesting one that.

A guy who won the Champions League on a short stint but was also sacked from West Brom in his last long term job. Lost in the play offs at MK Dons as well and finished below Pearsons Leicester. :ph34r:

Probably demanding huge wages now and no one wants to take the chance as yet.

Let's hope so.

What exactly does he not have to do before they get rid.....really guys, we are becoming Derby

We have progressed not a jot from when Nige took us up  - we are still a Championship club in our 5th year of trying to progress - we have made a good start results wise this season but are no better off if we don't go up - we may as well finish 19th as third and fluff the play offs.

Let's hope it changes but if he fails this year, a sixth season of this with him flogging his dead horse excuses is unthinkable

Guest MattP

What exactly does he not have to do before they get rid.....really guys, we are becoming Derby

We have progressed not a jot from when Nige took us up  - we are still a Championship club in our 5th year of trying to progress - we have made a good start results wise this season but are no better off if we don't go up - we may as well finish 19th as third and fluff the play offs.

Let's hope it changes but if he fails this year, a sixth season of this with him flogging his dead horse excuses is unthinkable

For me, see the team completely regress, so as we finished 6th last year I would ok with them getting rid if we were 7th or below (though it would depend on who was avaliable, I wouldn't get rid just for the sake of it and end up in another Paulo Sousa situation)

Why do you think we have a god given right to automatic promotion and anything else is a huge managerial failing. 

The issue with Sven is not so much the amount of money he spent, it was the way he spent and the way in doing so he systematically dismantled a top 5 team, a Leicester team that were worthy of wearing the shirt, and that seemed like they wanted to. They restored pride to the club after its lowest ebb, and Sven spent a fortune dismantling it and bringing in the likes of Ricardo, PVA, Bruma, Kamara, Bednar, Kirkland etc. In doing so ending the Leicester careers of players like Berner, Hobbs, Fryatt, Morrison and mis-treating the likes of Weale and Waghorn. Players who deserved a lot better and had proven they were more than capable at that level replaced by a bunch of mercenaries.

The most ridiculous was when he dropped Weale after a blinding performance in goal, Sheff United away I think, stating that he didn't like to drop players after a bad game because that affects their confidence so prefers to drop players after a good game, or some such nonsense.

Yes he made some good signings, but he made a lot of expensive bad signings, and whether or not he was directly responsible for the wages and fees they were Sven's signings and he oversaw that ridiculous and costly period in our history, that we are still paying for.

Why do you think we have a god given right to automatic promotion and anything else is a huge managerial failing. 

Why do you follow football? I thought the idea of it was to win as many games as possible and get as high in the things they call divisions as possible, maybe try to win a cup etc

If the idea is to balance the books, remove or blunt the ability of any creative talent, aim for the lottery of the play offs but not be too disappointed if you miss out then I must be following the wrong sport - but why exactly would anyone buy or play for a football club if this was the aim?

We need to get promoted, we have a following big enough for the Premier League and it is the policy of the board and their employment strategy that has mired us in 2nd division hell for 3 seasons now after the unlucky/naive failing of Nige the season before.......watch a Premier League match on the telly chap, you'll be amazed, it bears little resemblance to say the Leicester Leeds game of a couple of weeks ago

The issue with Sven is not so much the amount of money he spent, it was the way he spent and the way in doing so he systematically dismantled a top 5 team, a Leicester team that were worthy of wearing the shirt, and that seemed like they wanted to. They restored pride to the club after its lowest ebb, and Sven spent a fortune dismantling it and bringing in the likes of Ricardo, PVA, Bruma, Kamara, Bednar, Kirkland etc. In doing so ending the Leicester careers of players like Berner, Hobbs, Fryatt, Morrison and mis-treating the likes of Weale and Waghorn. Players who deserved a lot better and had proven they were more than capable at that level replaced by a bunch of mercenaries.

The most ridiculous was when he dropped Weale after a blinding performance in goal, Sheff United away I think, stating that he didn't like to drop players after a bad game because that affects their confidence so prefers to drop players after a good game, or some such nonsense.

Yes he made some good signings, but he made a lot of expensive bad signings, and whether or not he was directly responsible for the wages and fees they were Sven's signings and he oversaw that ridiculous and costly period in our history, that we are still paying for.

That was bottom of the table

Archived