Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tcrofts

Sven

Guest MattP

He never got to finish that season, so how do you know he wouldnt have made the playoffs?

I don't.

Looking back on it though I think it's fairly obvious we wouldn't have.

Peter Taylor didn't get to finish his season either but im fairly sure we were going down.

I don't.

Looking back on it though I think it's fairly obvious we wouldn't have.

Peter Taylor didn't get to finish his season either but im fairly sure we were going down.

Its pretty different in this league though, and im quite sure sven had a loan signing or two up his sleeve. Reading were below us when sven got sacked and look where they finished, 12 summer signings were never going to gel from the start.

Guest MattP

Its pretty different in this league though, and im quite sure sven had a loan signing or two up his sleeve. Reading were below us when sven got sacked and look where they finished, 12 summer signings were never going to gel from the start.

12 summer signings and you still need a couple of loans from up your sleeve?

Yep, that was Sven.

Reading went up as they had a good manager in charge, the reason he was below us but wasn't sacked was because he had hardly spent anything and it wasn't promotion or bust for them.

I remember Heskey saying on Fantasy Football Sven is the best manager he has ever worked under tactically whereas Martin O Neill just told him to run with the ball. Shame the introduction of FFP and the demand for big money signings from the owners has tainted his time here

12 summer signings and you still need a couple of loans from up your sleeve?

Yep, that was Sven.

Reading went up as they had a good manager in charge, the reason he was below us but wasn't sacked was because he had hardly spent anything and it wasn't promotion or bust for them.

I understand what you are saying but i dont think it was quite as plain sailing as some like to paint it. The talk of money not being an issue, came from the top and this hindered his chances of acquiring a certain level of player. Agents would simply link a player to us in order to engineer a move away for their player but it had a damaging effect here. I genuinly felt once the season progressed and we became more settled they would go on very good run, in this league 5 wins on the bounce can put you at the summit. Sven wasnt perfect by a long shot but i loved his time here and i miss all the attention he created.

Guest MattP

Yeah I didn't.

I found the whole thing a celebrity circus and I had thought football had passed Sven by ever since his 300million Lazio Project finished.

When our fans were singing "we're buying the league" I realised all common sense and realism had vanished from boardroom to supporters.

We certainly got what we deserved.

The Thai owners bottled it and fired him and we will take years to recover from the U Turn - they either should have not have appointed him in the first place or given him to Xmas at least....

Now they have gone the complete other way and will stick with an under achiever for eternity it seems, even when faced with one of the worst runs in the clubs history - they will get it right one day we hope..........

The Thai owners bottled it and fired him and we will take years to recover from the U Turn - they either should have not have appointed him in the first place or given him to Xmas at least....

Now they have gone the complete other way and will stick with an under achiever for eternity it seems, even when faced with one of the worst runs in the clubs history - they will get it right one day we hope..........

NP's contract expires at the end of the season, so if he doesn't lead us to promotion I doubt he will get offered a new one, with regards to Sven it is in the past now we spent an awful lot of money and didn't do very well.

Yeah, and use even more money!

How much did we pay just to have Yakubu for a couple of months? £1million, maybe more? It's a joke, we spent less of Wes Morgan. 

I'm suprised how many fans are happy to defend him or want him back, when you look at how much of mess he got us in financially. And that is now why Nigel can't sign any players, because of what the likes of Beckford were earning. And a lot still blame Nigel for lack of signings.

NP's contract expires at the end of the season, so if he doesn't lead us to promotion I doubt he will get offered a new one, with regards to Sven it is in the past now we spent an awful lot of money and didn't do very well.

The leeds game alone felt like an eternity.

On a serious note just because im defending sven doesnt mean im not supporting us now. Nige has started much better than i expected, im almost optomistic about upcoming fixtures.

Guest MattP

It's been awful with this underachiever in charge.

He's been sat there for 18 months now and we've been higher in the league than Svens team. Bastard.

Leicester fans are unbelievable. Only we could have fans that back a manager achieving midtable on the clubs biggest ever budget and hate somone who is consistently top six when cutting a budget.

Some people need committing.

I don't quite understand how anyone can defend Sven as a manager, nice enough guy, but a manager he aint.

He may well of given Neville a list of players he wanted and let Neville do the negotiating but the players Sven wanted were dog shite. He didn't do any homework on players and I think he just literally looked at the stats for the previous season and picked the best.

Part of Pearson's scouting process is to not just pick good players, but the personality is just as important. I don't think Sven would of cared if we had hitler playing for us, as long as he could play football (Which alot of his signings couldn't).

He'll be gone at the end of the season, don't worry.

Yeah, and use even more money!

How much did we pay just to have Yakubu for a couple of months? £1million, maybe more? It's a joke, we spent less of Wes Morgan.

I'm suprised how many fans are happy to defend him or want him back, when you look at how much of mess he got us in financially. And that is now why Nigel can't sign any players, because of what the likes of Beckford were earning. And a lot still blame Nigel for lack of signings.

Yeah im not having a go at nige, but it would have cost less for a couple of loan signings than it did to pay up sven and get nige on board. All im saying is after a massive summer investment and huge influx of players the owners were rash in sacking sven. Im not a fan of changing managers in the middle of the season, unless things are desperate, I never felt it was.

I loved Sven.

Such a nice guy and at the time I felt he was sacked to early, would things of turned out differently if he stayed till the end of the season? I don't know.

One thing I miss is the lovely football we got at times, but that doesn't make up for results.

I'm delighted with Nigel's way of running the club, the talent he brings in and his dealings with FFP. He seems to be more tactically aware this season and that's only a good thing. And let's all admit it... We'd be gutted if we saw another manager on the touch line without Nigel's big white trainers.

Guest MattP

Your Dad is not a hugely experienced Football coach with a selection of European trophies on his CV.

And by "selection" we mean 2.

One of which was before I was born.

He was a good manage no doubt about that, but anything he did that has serious merit or wasn't bought was done before Howard Wilkinson won the league.

Football has passed him by, you may as well use George Grahams CV's and get them back, success around the same time and a lot cheaper.

Archived