Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tcrofts

Sven

Hahaha

But a bit early in the morning to be cracking them out like that.

The man who never once climbed out of midtable mediocrity despite blowing a decades worth of money on a team of misfits, wholly unsuited to the division who cost so much it's hindering us long, long, long after he's gone.

Sacked too soon, bah! Should never have been within a thousand miles of us in the first place.

Still, he gives a nice interview though, eh?

First of all, on the financial side, Sven made some naff signings, as does every manager.

Obviously they are highlighted more under Sven because of the money they were paid, but the wages would not have been negotiated by Sven.

He would have given them a list of players he wanted, and it was up to the chief exec and the board to say yes or no, and negotiate the contract, so a tad harsh to blame Sven for that.

Now for on the pitch!

Sven took over a team devoid of confidence and sitting third bottom of the table with 8 points from 10 games.

At the end of that season, we finished with 67 points, 8 points off the play offs, having accumulated 59 points from the 36 games that Sven was in charge for that season.

The following season we had 19 points from 13 games, and were 2 points off the play offs when he was sacked.

In fact had we beaten Millwall in Svens final game we would have been sat inside the play offs!

Pearson took over a team who were actually only 2 points off the play offs after 16 games,and we ended that season 9th and 9 points off the play offs.

So basically Pearson took over a team who were much better off than the one Sven took over the previous season, and was certainly no more successful than Sven  had been, and given that he took over a team who were still very much in the mix, it could be argued that he didn`t do as good a job as Sven.

Sven was never given the time or a full season, as so many of you pearsonites preach that Pearson himself deserves and needs.

So was Sven sacked to early, the truth is we will never know.

Personally, short of a complete loss of form, along the lines of the one we had at the end of last season, i would have given Sven the full season.

Why do you follow football? I thought the idea of it was to win as many games as possible and get as high in the things they call divisions as possible, maybe try to win a cup etc

If the idea is to balance the books, remove or blunt the ability of any creative talent, aim for the lottery of the play offs but not be too disappointed if you miss out then I must be following the wrong sport - but why exactly would anyone buy or play for a football club if this was the aim?

We need to get promoted, we have a following big enough for the Premier League and it is the policy of the board and their employment strategy that has mired us in 2nd division hell for 3 seasons now after the unlucky/naive failing of Nige the season before.......watch a Premier League match on the telly chap, you'll be amazed, it bears little resemblance to say the Leicester Leeds game of a couple of weeks ago

That was bottom of the table

I've seen plenty of Premier League matches thank you, probably a lot more than you. 

That vast majority of that is bollocks or totally irrelevant or besides the point, your basically saying anyone who finished outside of the top 2 should be sacking their manager as the aim of football is to win and therefore any side failing to do so so has "failed" 

And you can bark on about our "following" and the "size of our club" all you want, their both around the level of where we finished last season, sixth highest in the league. 

I want to go up as much as the next person doesn't mean you have to abandon all reason. start viewing sixth place in a tough division as a "failure" sack the manager and start again. Have you learnt nothing form the past 13 odd years since O'Neil left?

First of all, on the financial side, Sven made some naff signings, as does every manager.

Obviously they are highlighted more under Sven because of the money they were paid, but the wages would not have been negotiated by Sven.

He would have given them a list of players he wanted, and it was up to the chief exec and the board to say yes or no, and negotiate the contract, so a tad harsh to blame Sven for that.

Now for on the pitch!

Sven took over a team devoid of confidence and sitting third bottom of the table with 8 points from 10 games.

At the end of that season, we finished with 67 points, 8 points off the play offs, having accumulated 59 points from the 36 games that Sven was in charge for that season.

The following season we had 19 points from 13 games, and were 2 points off the play offs when he was sacked.

In fact had we beaten Millwall in Svens final game we would have been sat inside the play offs!

Pearson took over a team who were actually only 2 points off the play offs after 16 games,and we ended that season 9th and 9 points off the play offs.

So basically Pearson took over a team who were much better off than the one Sven took over the previous season, and was certainly no more successful than Sven  had been, and given that he took over a team who were still very much in the mix, it could be argued that he didn`t do as good a job as Sven.

Sven was never given the time or a full season, as so many of you pearsonites preach that Pearson himself deserves and needs.

So was Sven sacked to early, the truth is we will never know.

Personally, short of a complete loss of form, along the lines of the one we had at the end of last season, i would have given Sven the full season.

Maybe if we'd lost 1-0 to Millwall then he wouldn't have gone, the performance and scoreline probably panicked the owners into making a decision.

However Sven put himself in a difficult position, having played some great football in the New Year to drag us to the verge of the play-offs we ended the season inconsistently but, fair enough, he deserved a pre-season. Yet the style changed, we were far too negative early on in the season with some bizarre tactics (Fernandes on the left of a diamond, King at the tip?) and ultimately we didn't look like promotion material.

Similar with Pearson, had us in a strong position and playing top football but panicked and changed for the worse, I was surprised he wasn't sacked either last season in April or after Watford, not convinced he can do a lot better this year but it looks like he's staying so I'll get behind him and hope he's learnt lessons.

The issue with Sven is not so much the amount of money he spent, it was the way he spent and the way in doing so he systematically dismantled a top 5 team, a Leicester team that were worthy of wearing the shirt, and that seemed like they wanted to. They restored pride to the club after its lowest ebb, and Sven spent a fortune dismantling it and bringing in the likes of Ricardo, PVA, Bruma, Kamara, Bednar, Kirkland etc. In doing so ending the Leicester careers of players like Berner, Hobbs, Fryatt, Morrison and mis-treating the likes of Weale and Waghorn. Players who deserved a lot better and had proven they were more than capable at that level replaced by a bunch of mercenaries.

The most ridiculous was when he dropped Weale after a blinding performance in goal, Sheff United away I think, stating that he didn't like to drop players after a bad game because that affects their confidence so prefers to drop players after a good game, or some such nonsense.

Yes he made some good signings, but he made a lot of expensive bad signings, and whether or not he was directly responsible for the wages and fees they were Sven's signings and he oversaw that ridiculous and costly period in our history, that we are still paying for.

Bang on

I've seen plenty of Premier League matches thank you, probably a lot more than you. 

That vast majority of that is bollocks or totally irrelevant or besides the point, your basically saying anyone who finished outside of the top 2 should be sacking their manager as the aim of football is to win and therefore any side failing to do so so has "failed" 

And you can bark on about our "following" and the "size of our club" all you want, their both around the level of where we finished last season, sixth highest in the league. 

I want to go up as much as the next person doesn't mean you have to abandon all reason. start viewing sixth place in a tough division as a "failure" sack the manager and start again. Have you learnt nothing form the past 13 odd years since O'Neil left?

I am sure you have watched more football than me....if you say so.

However, most of your points are merely contentious here. Our Premier league attendances were near capacity and would hold up well against Norwich, Reading, Southampton, or anyone else in the bottom half of the table ( and you know it)

As mentioned in another post, 8 of the 12 teams promoted in the past 4 years have done so with managers in the first season and 3 with managers in their second so the 'building a team consistently' bollocks is just that when it comes to actually getting somewhere.

6th in Div 2 for Leicester City is a a failure - your acceptance of it doesn't make it less so.

The Leicester leeds game was atrocious

Stop arguing for the sake of it

And Sven wasted the best chance we've had since that decade to get back to the Premier league. Won't have another chance like that for years. Pearson's job almost impossible thanks to Sven

No, NFP wasted the best chance last year when we were second and in an automatic promotion spot, and plummeted like a stone. but you won't admit that because you love him.

He walked into a relegated squad and got us promoted at the first time of asking. How many other bigs clubs failed to get back to the Championship at the first attempt, let alone walk the league? Oh, I recall Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds, Southampton, Nottingham Forest and Swindon (amongst others) all failing to win promotion.

Pearson then made us the 5th best team in the Championship. Tight budget and some good signings.

Left and rebuilt Hull. Sorted their finances out and built the squad for the next manager, and Bruce won promotion with that.

Come back and had a difficult job. Finances are a mess and the squad is full of overpaid players. Nothing in the first half season, but we made the play offs the following season.

I just enjoy Nigel being in charge more. Signings are better, I have more confidence in the team and the squad look more together. We have the ability to dig deep when it matters and win an ugly 1-0 game, such as against Derby. Whilst no manager have got us promoted to the Premier League since Micky Adams (hero), we have come the closest twice and that was when Nigel Pearson was manager.

you forgot the bit where Barmby didn't even get into the playoffs with 'pearsons team'. bruce signed a bunch of players to get them to the next  level.

The issue with Sven is not so much the amount of money he spent, it was the way he spent and the way in doing so he systematically dismantled a top 5 team, a Leicester team that were worthy of wearing the shirt, and that seemed like they wanted to. They restored pride to the club after its lowest ebb, and Sven spent a fortune dismantling it and bringing in the likes of Ricardo, PVA, Bruma, Kamara, Bednar, Kirkland etc. In doing so ending the Leicester careers of players like Berner, Hobbs, Fryatt, Morrison and mis-treating the likes of Weale and Waghorn. Players who deserved a lot better and had proven they were more than capable at that level replaced by a bunch of mercenaries.

The most ridiculous was when he dropped Weale after a blinding performance in goal, Sheff United away I think, stating that he didn't like to drop players after a bad game because that affects their confidence so prefers to drop players after a good game, or some such nonsense.

Yes he made some good signings, but he made a lot of expensive bad signings, and whether or not he was directly responsible for the wages and fees they were Sven's signings and he oversaw that ridiculous and costly period in our history, that we are still paying for.

sorry i thought there was another manager in between nfp and sven who got us beaten 6-1 by pimpey ..... but keep blaming sven by all means.

No, NFP wasted the best chance last year when we were second and in an automatic promotion spot, and plummeted like a stone. but you won't admit that because you love him.

No to be honest, I've become a bit fed up of some

of Pearson's decisions recently. I don't like 3-5-2, I also don't like it when he plays with 3 strikers- we lack width because they all want to play down the middle. We've been awful this season, and my worry is that our poor form from last season is just carrying on into this one. I've not been convinced by any of our performances so far. I hope we improve, because you can't play badly and keep picking up points.

Sven was a disaster, and we were a far worse team under him. Unbalanced, no bottle, with a team full of under achieving over paid players. He made an absolute mess of us which we will feel for years to come. Our best chance came that season, when the owners gave him a blank cheque book.

NP's contract expires at the end of the season, the owners won't offer him a new contract if he doesn't lead us to promotion pretty obvious?, if we fanny about in the playoffs there is no chance of promotion because we don't have the bottle to do well in the playoffs may stand a chance if we finish 3rd or 4th, that is why our best bet is automatic promotion, we have to achieve that this season no question about it.

Guest MattP

We have no bottle for the play offs?

I disagree with that. Two frenchman fcuked up penalties.

That doesn't mean the rest of the squad dont have the bottle to win a play offs.

Messi missed a penalty that probably cost Barcelona a champions league against Chelsea. Doesn't mean Barca don't have the bottle to win it.

Hahaha

But a bit early in the morning to be cracking them out like that.

The man who never once climbed out of midtable mediocrity despite blowing a decades worth of money on a team of misfits, wholly unsuited to the division who cost so much it's hindering us long, long, long after he's gone.

Sacked too soon, bah! Should never have been within a thousand miles of us in the first place.

Still, he gives a nice interview though, eh?

Better than Pearson by a million miles. Seventh place when he was sacked.

Fancy trusting anyone with a name like that Asian git though..

NP's contract expires at the end of the season, the owners won't offer him a new contract if he doesn't lead us to promotion pretty obvious?, if we fanny about in the playoffs there is no chance of promotion because we don't have the bottle to do well in the playoffs may stand a chance if we finish 3rd or 4th, that is why our best bet is automatic promotion, we have to achieve that this season no question about it.

In your opinion.

And we have no chance in the playoffs unless we finish 3rd or 4th? I'm struggling to see your logic there Happy!

In your opinion.

And we have no chance in the playoffs unless we finish 3rd or 4th? I'm struggling to see your logic there Happy!

More to do with the fact that the home leg is the second leg, so that is why it makes it easier imo to make the final, you look at sides that have finished 3rd or 4th generally over the years they have reached the final, obviously there are exceptions.

That doesn't mean the rest of the squad dont have the bottle to win a play offs.

Messi missed a penalty that probably cost Barcelona a champions league against Chelsea. Doesn't mean Barca don't have the bottle to win it.

Under pressure situations like the playoffs have we ever done well?, I am aware we won promotion through the playoffs before during MON and Brian Little but I don't know the circumstances at that time period where we the favourites for promotion during those seasons? If we get automatic promotion it would be good!

Penalties are a lottery, it's not so much about skill but mental strength.

We just needed to be braver over the two playoffs pearson has took us to,we bottled it first leg against Cardiff, and second leg against Watford, to be fair to Watford they were unlucky not to come away with a draw in the home tie.

Guest MattP

Penalties are a lottery, it's not so much about skill but mental strength.

We just needed to be braver over the two playoffs pearson has took us to,we bottled it first leg against Cardiff, and second leg against Watford, to be fair to Watford they were unlucky not to come away with a draw in the home tie.

Out of interest when we were 3-1 up at Cardiff in the second leg and while Knockaert was running up to send us to Wembley did you bother watching or had we bottled it?

Shit happens in the play offs, get used to it. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesn't. Derby and Palace didn't bottle it against us in the play off finals, they were just done a freak goal and Graysons one and only great cross.

You haven't 'bottled it' every time you lose a football match.

More to do with the fact that the home leg is the second leg, so that is why it makes it easier imo to make the final, you look at sides that have finished 3rd or 4th generally over the years they have reached the final, obviously there are exceptions.

There was a stat in 442 stating that 6th place team has been promoted more than 3rd, 4th or 5th since the play off started.

Why go mardy matt p stating my opinion, calm yourself down, stating we bottled it in the first leg against Cardiff, did well in the second leg but lost on penalties, Watford first leg was ok, but thought Watford were unlucky not to draw, Watford second leg I think we bottled it, and to be fair to knockeart he was dead on his feet, and an experienced head should have took it.

Can I suggest that if you don't like my opinions, keep your sarcastic comments to yourself, and don't bother replying.

Archived