Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tcrofts

Sven

I just don't agree at all, but what is all he point of this anyway?, Sven has gone, you wont change your views, and I won't change mine.

You don't agree that the whole 'Sven project' was naught but a turd?

I'm surprised, I've agreed with quite a few of your posts recently.

You don't agree that the whole 'Sven project' was naught but a turd?

I'm surprised, I've agreed with quite a few of your posts recently.

To be fair I've always found your posts very balanced and thoughtful but I just cannot agree with you over sven.

He has definately divided opinions at leicester.

I think once Sven went and Nige came back it was difficult to be anything but one or the other. I liked Nige frst time round but the mistakes in his first season back made me question his ability and last season also showed little or no progress. Thing is, once someone jumps up and down blindly in his defence, I find myself over reacting against him. Really I just think he is OK, same as Adams, Levein, McGhee, Kelly  etc - they are just boring and it really isn't their fault that they can't live up to what we had with MoN.

Nige is just that....if you are happy with play offs and staying down then he is fab - if you want the old days back then he is pants, so far.

Sven brought a little bit of excitement back to following City and if Nige can prove his critics wrong and keep this up until Xmas maybe we will believe in him again but there have been four years of disappointments with him (for Hull and City fans) and four games is not quite enough to change the tide for many.

It does seem these days that his followers and believers are very angry and I can only put that down to how daft they looked when he blew it last year when many of us knew he would.

I think he will this year too but hope to God he can get it right as every year we stay down will get harder to get out of this shite division

Come on Nige, prove your detractors wrong and do the unthinkable.....here's hoping

To be fair I've always found your posts very balanced and thoughtful but I just cannot agree with you over sven.

He has definately divided opinions at leicester.

I remain AMAZED that anyone can still think Sven did the club any good. Though, I do concede, of course, that the Board lavished him with funds.

Anyway, I've explained why time over.

No worries buddy, it's all opinions.

:thumbup:

I remain AMAZED that anyone can still think Sven did the club any good. Though, I do concede, of course, that the Board lavished him with funds.

You say Pearson I say Pearsonite, I say Sven you say err

In that playoff side Morrison had been playing predominantly as a right back. Kyle Naughton was much better than him at RB. At CB he was (and still is) severely limited.

Berner wasn't played as much for the understandable reason that his legs had gone and couldn't be expected to bomb back and forth from LB HOWEVER he still managed 19 appearances which was the MOST of any LB.

In terms of appearances just take the time to look at the stats,

Based on players with the most starts.

No. Pos Nat Name MS Notes 1 GK   Chris Weale 30   16 RB   Kyle Naughton 38   25 CB   Jack Hobbs 27   34 CB   Sol Bamba 18   15 LB   Bruno Berner 19   10 CM   Andy King 48   22 DM   Yuki Abe 29 Matt Oakley had 23 starts 19 CM   Richie Wellens 48   37 RW   Darius Vassell 28   24 ST   Yakubu Aiyegbeni 19   7 LW   Paul Gallagher 38  

4–3–3 Formation

Of Berner's 15 league starts that season, 9 were under Sousa, 2 were Sven's first games, 3 were when Cunningham broke his leg, all of these games he was good enough, and looked especially good after Cunningham broke his leg, but he was dropped as soon as possible for PVA, when we were desperate for a bit of experience at the back.

As for Chris Weale he tried to replace him repeatedly and dropped him after a man of the match performance

Jack Hobbs, 25 starts 10 under Sousa, sold for a pittance despite being an almost ever present in the first half of the season, inexplicable, replaced with a succession of inexperienced kids

What about Fryatt? top scorer for last few seasons, wasn't fit when Sven came, never given a chance and sold for well under market value, inexplicable.

Waghorn was signed for 3 million, scored double figures the season before, started 4 games under Sven.

We didn't need massive rebuilding we had the core of a very good squad, he sold or ignored 5 of our best players from the season before and instead of building foundations for the season to come, he spunked it up the wall on inexperienced kids, it's not even that they were bad footballers, it was that fact that promotion or not we would have had to buy a whole new team the following season as 5 of the starting line-up on the last day of the season were on loan, and more on the bench.

Of Berner's 15 league starts that season, 9 were under Sousa, 2 were Sven's first games, 3 were when Cunningham broke his leg, all of these games he was good enough, and looked especially good after Cunningham broke his leg, but he was dropped as soon as possible for PVA, when we were desperate for a bit of experience at the back.

As for Chris Weale he tried to replace him repeatedly and dropped him after a man of the match performance

Jack Hobbs, 25 starts 10 under Sousa, sold for a pittance despite being an almost ever present in the first half of the season, inexplicable, replaced with a succession of inexperienced kids

What about Fryatt? top scorer for last few seasons, wasn't fit when Sven came, never given a chance and sold for well under market value, inexplicable.

Waghorn was signed for 3 million, scored double figures the season before, started 4 games under Sven.

We didn't need massive rebuilding we had the core of a very good squad, he sold or ignored 5 of our best players from the season before and instead of building foundations for the season to come, he spunked it up the wall on inexperienced kids, it's not even that they were bad footballers, it was that fact that promotion or not we would have had to buy a whole new team the following season as 5 of the starting line-up on the last day of the season were on loan, and more on the bench.

We'll never agree on this but Weale wasn't up to the required standard, repeatedly beaten from distance and incapable of dominating his box. In three successive seasons in big local derbies he dropped huge bollocks. For what he cost he was fine but would you ever swap him for what we eventually got in Kasper?

Hobbs was not sold for a pittance, 800k is not much less than what we've paid for Morgan (a Pearson signing) but I know who is significantly better. Hobbs played less times under Bruce than under Sousa and Sven and was bombed out to Forrest, I imagine he'll cost them something similar should they wish to sign him permanently. In my opinion Brown was the significant part of that defence, sadly his political views were fairly abhorrent and he's sank without a trace since.

Fryatt, again we're going to have to agree to disagree. Long term he was replaced with Nugent who again I'm sure we'd all say is a better player and short term I'd take Yakubu any day of the week.

Waghorn is player on who my opinion is fairly clear. He's just not very good. Pearson seems to be of a similar opinion to Sven considering he's signed 3 strikers (I use the term loosely in Futacs case) and seldom plays Waghorn if he can help it.

Pearson's side needed rebuilding, the man himself had planned to rebuild (Tom Kennedy to replace Berner for one) and he bought in at Hull (at considerable expense) the players he would have brought here. We did very well in 09/10 but the side that finished the match at Cardiff featured many players who were not ours long term, if Sven hadn't replaced some then Pearson would have (with the possible exception of Hobbs).

What a strange thing to do - ignore the people you don't agree with.........I assume you meant hypocritical.....I certainly don't think that anyone who is able to debate the flaws and mistakes of the past four years is a sycophant, merely the sycophants who can see no wrong even when there is some wrong to see.

Who has said there is no wrong?

Sven dragged us up from the lower depths, when he arrived, to a position of safety. Something that many people conveniently forget to mention.

He brought in expensive players, yes, but he was never given the time to get them to gel, which was ludicrous.

Pearson on the other hand, has people saying "he needs time to get the team to gel" Very hypocritical of some people. You can't fairly have one rule for one manager, and another for a different one.

Mr. P has failed to get us promoted, and if he fails again then he will doubtless be shown the door.

You can when one of the managers was doing genuine damage to the club. Imagine if he'd been here until January? He'd have gone and wasted more money on players who couldn't give a shit about the club who'd probably have dragged us up to 12th.

The bloke was a disaster in 11/12. Absolute utter disaster.

We'll never agree on this but Weale wasn't up to the required standard, repeatedly beaten from distance and incapable of dominating his box. In three successive seasons in big local derbies he dropped huge bollocks. For what he cost he was fine but would you ever swap him for what we eventually got in Kasper?

Hobbs was not sold for a pittance, 800k is not much less than what we've paid for Morgan (a Pearson signing) but I know who is significantly better. Hobbs played less times under Bruce than under Sousa and Sven and was bombed out to Forrest, I imagine he'll cost them something similar should they wish to sign him permanently. In my opinion Brown was the significant part of that defence, sadly his political views were fairly abhorrent and he's sank without a trace since.

Fryatt, again we're going to have to agree to disagree. Long term he was replaced with Nugent who again I'm sure we'd all say is a better player and short term I'd take Yakubu any day of the week.

Waghorn is player on who my opinion is fairly clear. He's just not very good. Pearson seems to be of a similar opinion to Sven considering he's signed 3 strikers (I use the term loosely in Futacs case) and seldom plays Waghorn if he can help it.

Pearson's side needed rebuilding, the man himself had planned to rebuild (Tom Kennedy to replace Berner for one) and he bought in at Hull (at considerable expense) the players he would have brought here. We did very well in 09/10 but the side that finished the match at Cardiff featured many players who were not ours long term, if Sven hadn't replaced some then Pearson would have (with the possible exception of Hobbs).

I'm amazed with hindsight you'd still go with yakubu. He was a loan signing for 1 million quid who made little impact.

I have no issue with Sven signing Kasper and Nugent as replacements for Weale and Fryatt but he did it 6 months too late.

Yakubu was a great loan signing, as was Naughton, but Bednar, Kamara, Bruma, PVA, Kirkland, Mee, Cunningham, Davies (have I missed any) were shit to average, that is 11 loan signings in a season, the money wasted on those, especially when we had players proven good enough on the books, could and should have been used to make some quality additions in January.

Of course Pearson would have signed players, and rebuilt, but I doubt he would have got rid of our top scorer and player of the season at the first opportunity.

Sven wasted so much money on that loan experiment, he is not solely to blame, but he is partly to blame.

He signed some real shit: Ball, Johnson, Uchechi, Paintsil, Ricardo

He massively overpaid on a number of deals and wages (again not all his faults).

Every player he sold were massively undervalued.

He made some baffling decisions: Dropping Vitor, Weale, Waghorn after match winning performances.

Failed to strengthen where we needed it, I don't think he signed a single midfielder in his 15 signings in his first season, didn't sign a single winger in his 30 signings.

He came out with some weird statements: Howard is the Christian Vieri of the Championship, he only likes dropping players after they have played well.

It wasn't all bad, but there were so many weird decisions and signings, even ignoring the money, that nobody had any faith in him, the squad was completely unbalanced, and we were haemorrhaging money and that would have continued.

I have no issue with Sven signing Kasper and Nugent as replacements for Weale and Fryatt but he did it 6 months too late.

Yakubu was a great loan signing, as was Naughton, but Bednar, Kamara, Bruma, PVA, Kirkland, Mee, Cunningham, Davies (have I missed any) were shit to average, that is 11 loan signings in a season, the money wasted on those, especially when we had players proven good enough on the books, could and should have been used to make some quality additions in January.

Of course Pearson would have signed players, and rebuilt, but I doubt he would have got rid of our top scorer and player of the season at the first opportunity.

Sven wasted so much money on that loan experiment, he is not solely to blame, but he is partly to blame.

He signed some real shit: Ball, Johnson, Uchechi, Paintsil, Ricardo

He massively overpaid on a number of deals and wages (again not all his faults).

Every player he sold were massively undervalued.

He made some baffling decisions: Dropping Vitor, Weale, Waghorn after match winning performances.

Failed to strengthen where we needed it, I don't think he signed a single midfielder in his 15 signings in his first season, didn't sign a single winger in his 30 signings.

He came out with some weird statements: Howard is the Christian Vieri of the Championship, he only likes dropping players after they have played well.

It wasn't all bad, but there were so many weird decisions and signings, even ignoring the money, that nobody had any faith in him, the squad was completely unbalanced, and we were haemorrhaging money and that would have continued.

Taken out of context the loan signings aren't great but again people overlook the mission he was given (and failed) which was promotion that season. As daft as it sounds loans where the safest option as we couldn't attract the required quality on a permenant basis as we had no guarantee of promotion plus any 'available' permenant signings during the Jan window (a notoriously bad time to buy) would have carried a premium and been unlikely to join. Attempting the Elastoplast quick fix of loans (some with a view to a permenant deal) is the option we took.

With regards' inexplicable' dropping of players the truth is we only got the Chelsea youngsters on a very bad deal, the more we played them the less we paid in terms of wages and loan fee so our hand was forced somewhat. PVA was ok and Bruma bless him was finding his feet (feet which eventually led him to PSV via the bundesleague)

Cant agree with anyone who says SGE did no good at Leicester. 

He came in about quarter way through a season, and we were bottom, having won one game if I remember rightly. We didn't quite hit the play offs that season, but didn't miss by much. That is an achievement.

I can't help thinking that we would have been promoted by now if he had stayed. But of course we can never know that.

He is a great manager, proved it time and again. We just didn't give him time. Ollie is a great manager, we didn't give him time either. 

There seems to be an element, in the foxes fan base, that starts booing and shouting "Sack the manager" if we don't win every game 5 nil. 

I really wish they would hiss off somewhere else.

Taken out of context the loan signings aren't great but again people overlook the mission he was given (and failed) which was promotion that season. As daft as it sounds loans where the safest option as we couldn't attract the required quality on a permenant basis as we had no guarantee of promotion plus any 'available' permenant signings during the Jan window (a notoriously bad time to buy) would have carried a premium and been unlikely to join. Attempting the Elastoplast quick fix of loans (some with a view to a permenant deal) is the option we took.

With regards' inexplicable' dropping of players the truth is we only got the Chelsea youngsters on a very bad deal, the more we played them the less we paid in terms of wages and loan fee so our hand was forced somewhat. PVA was ok and Bruma bless him was finding his feet (feet which eventually led him to PSV via the bundesleague)

I understand the loans to some extent, but 11 loan signings? Here's the thing he had the core of a successful championship team that came very close to going up, he quickly identified a key area where we needed an improvement and signed Naughton, good move, he also felt we needed better at the back, which I agreed with, and signed Curtis Davies, so far so good. Signing Cunningham when we already had 2 left backs, and one of them the excellent and experienced Berner, didn't agree with, but then he didn't want to play with wingers so looked for width from the full backs, ok. So far so good. We progressed up the league. He signed Vassel, probably overplayed him, he was ok, not a bad addition to the squad, then big Sol, who was a good addition at a great price. Then the merry go round started with the loans, Kirkland and Bednar being 2 of the worst, it just unsettled the team, we were playing with a back four at times that were all on loan and all under 22. That was the madness, despite not being much older Hobbs and Morrison knew what they were doing at this level but were shipped out, Berner was ignored despite being able to bring much needed experience, we shipped out our top scorer, then the goals dried up we had nobody to turn to, couldn't bring in any more loans, because we had reached our quota. All of this without once addressing our aging and underperforming midfielders, Wellens and Oakley.

It was just so baffling at the time, because if we had added Naughton, Yak, Sol to our play off team and another central midfielder we would have finished top 6 easily, but he blew that chance with too many stupid and unnecessary loan signings that added little and unsettled what we already had.

If used correctly the loan market and Sven's contacts could have easily got up into the play offs but he fvcked it up. Simple as that in my eyes. The following season was just a continuation, more signings more money up the wall and no progress.

There is no doubt (even to a Sven supporter like i was) that he spent shedloads of money and we are in a worse position now as a result.

HOWEVER....

He is not the reason we are are in this financially difficult position now!.... we are in that position because (IMO) he was sacked prematurely and wasnt given time to finish the job, we will never know if he would have got us promoted, but, if he had, we would not be worried about finances right now.

The fault lies with our owners and club management who panicked.

i would have thought the people to blame are the owners and the board before you get to sven. they employed him, they gave him the money.i think you forgot that the whole lot of them are to blame because the flashed the cash but we are still in the same position 3 years down the line

I think once Sven went and Nige came back it was difficult to be anything but one or the other. I liked Nige frst time round but the mistakes in his first season back made me question his ability and last season also showed little or no progress. Thing is, once someone jumps up and down blindly in his defence, I find myself over reacting against him. Really I just think he is OK, same as Adams, Levein, McGhee, Kelly etc - they are just boring and it really isn't their fault that they can't live up to what we had with MoN.

Nige is just that....if you are happy with play offs and staying down then he is fab - if you want the old days back then he is pants, so far.

Sven brought a little bit of excitement back to following City and if Nige can prove his critics wrong and keep this up until Xmas maybe we will believe in him again but there have been four years of disappointments with him (for Hull and City fans) and four games is not quite enough to change the tide for many.

It does seem these days that his followers and believers are very angry and I can only put that down to how daft they looked when he blew it last year when many of us knew he would.

I think he will this year too but hope to God he can get it right as every year we stay down will get harder to get out of this shite division

Come on Nige, prove your detractors wrong and do the unthinkable.....here's hoping

The remit is promotion, so yes - Nigel hasn't succeeded so far, but he's come a lot closer than the free-spending swede ever did, on a lot smaller budget. That's why a lot of people on here can't understand that love-in for Sven and the hate towards Pearson.

The bottom line is SGE was given what he asked for and failed, there are positives from his tenure and maybe he left to soon, was he sacked or did he leave. That's it and its time to accept it. Pearson is operating in a completely different environment and to try and draw comparisons is quite unrealistic. Some say he has failed as we have not made the prem, while at the same time assume that was his first and possibly only requirement given to him, I for one have my doubts if that is the case.

i would have thought the people to blame are the owners and the board before you get to sven. they employed him, they gave him the money.i think you forgot that the whole lot of them are to blame because the flashed the cash but we are still in the same position 3 years down the line

?

1. I mentioned the Board lavished him with funds, which he then spent unwisely.

2. No we aren't in the same position. We are in a different one and, I think, a more sustainable one.

Archived