Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sykes999

More atmosphere

again most of us started going to the football as a kid and we should encourage that. i dont see how that is an excuse to kill an atmosphere tho. filbert street just as many "familys" at the ground i bet.

its not down to the club to create an atmosphere its the fans.

I'm not saying stop families going - that would be very short-term. I went with my parents when I was a youngster, and do you know what? I completely loved it and embraced the hostility of FS even if I wasn't in the main noisy area. I loved the people around me who swore lol

I just mean the club need to stop exclusively targetting every single thing they do towards families. Stop with all the cheesy pop music, stop advertising games as a "fun family experience" etc... stop trying to make football something it isn't.

I'm not saying stop families going - that would be very short-term. I went with my parents when I was a youngster, and do you know what? I completely loved it and embraced the hostility of FS even if I wasn't in the main noisy area. I loved the people around me who swore lol

I just mean the club need to stop exclusively targetting every single thing they do towards families. Stop with all the cheesy pop music, stop advertising games as a "fun family experience" etc... stop trying to make football something it isn't.

lol i learnt alot of new words at filbert street.

Im telling ya, It's a chicken and egg situation.

The fans need something to cheer for, to excite them, to latch onto.

League success, a good cup run, something.

It was the same under Little and O'Neil. When we saw that something good was coming, it brought people out of the woodwork and flocking back.

You can debate how to encourage this that and the other but you're pissing in the wind.

The club needs some success.. The atmosphere will follow.

10 years is too long out of the top flight. People have become disillusioned. Cardiff are now filling out their ground for every home game. Why? Well it ain't rocket science.

Im telling ya, It's a chicken and egg situation.

The fans need something to cheer for, to excite them, to latch onto.

League success, a good cup run, something.

It was the same under Little and O'Neil. When we saw that something good was coming, it brought people out of the woodwork and flocking back.

You can debate how to encourage this that and the other but you're pissing in the wind.

The club needs some success.. The atmosphere will follow.

10 years is too long out of the top flight. People have become disillusioned. Cardiff are now filling out their ground for every home game. Why? Well it ain't rocket science.

Cup runs aren't what'll sort our support out. We've had a few very decent ties in the past few years and we were really on-form fan-wise, Man City and Norwich in-particular.

But if anything, those cup runs seemed to make it even worse in the league. After Chelsea beat us 5-2 there was barely a peep away from home from us for the rest of the season.

Our support away from home has been better this year than last. Does help that we've been winning but I thought it was dreadful for most of last year, seems to have improved this year which is a good thing.

It ain't gonna be solved overnight at home though - that Watford game for example, a short-term gimmick (clappers) seemed to do the trick, what happened next home game? Put to shame by Leeds, as per every year.

DavieG was spot on about lack of 18-30 year olds - alienated.

Guest TheBear

For non ST holders it is too expensive to sit in K, J3 to get close to singing lot, and you dont want to shell out a small fortune to sit in tbe Kop where it is simply a morgue! More casual fans would come to games and create an atmosphere if it was more affordable or plausable to sit in K, J3 on match days!

Most home atmosphere's are rubbish anyway, just look at Old Trafford and they are the Champions. However, when they travel away from home, they are excellent, and for me only Liverpool rival them. Probably because all the day trippers arn't there.

Now I'm not saying prevent people from coming, I like to see our ground full, but I do think we need to do just some small things to try and improve it. I do feel, as raised above, music is an issue. We haven't got anything with a bit of edge to it, like we used to. I wouldn't have that man with the horn playing PHG either.

Flares don't improve the atmosphere imo, they are horrible.

Give every fan a megaphone and a flare!

But seriously we need to get the 18-30's in as people have mentioned above. They are the people who create the most noise and atmosphere in general. I'm sick of these family deals and family focused ideas the club continually advertise. Perhaps I'm bitter cause as a kid I'd have loved these deals to have been around and because there weren'nt any to my knowledge, I missed out. It was either that or my dad didn't want to take me so made up excuses haha.

Also ticket prices are a stumbling block too. Far too expensive but that's football in general not just our club. Would be nice for us to make a stance though as a football club and allocate cheaper tickets!

For a decent atmopshere there has to be a large enough area where fans can stand and group together, L1 simply doesn't cut it. 

Fans are too spread out and it needs cooperation from the club to move season ticket holders and give fans a certain area of the ground (example being rangers where the more vocal fans were given a certain section in ibrox).

But large standers doesn't equate to good atmosphere (example man city).  The culture has changed, maybe even lost, where fans simply don't know the songs or just aren't interested.

Without the fans pushing the club to do anything all we'll get is endless threads like this one.

Attract more 18 to 30 year olds who tend to be the more vocal of fans

Unreserved seating areas would get fans in earlier and allow those groups of friends who can't all make it to every game to congregate together.

Very good post, ... reserved seating really doesn't help as it stops people congregating together who want to get behind the team and also encourages people to stay in the concourse drinking right up until kick off (of which I admit I'm guilty)

If you look at L1 as an example too, that's a closed shop now and the atmosphere has gone downhill so much it's untrue,

Why do the 18-30s feel alienated? (I've not read Davie's post)

Is it all the Health and Safety stuff etc?

For me, the main reason is and always has been the Kop not being adjacent to the away fans. This was what made the atmosphere at Filbert Street.

And success.. We need something to get excited about. We've not even made any new, exciting signings this season.

Why do the 18-30s feel alienated? (I've not read Davie's post)

Is it all the Health and Safety stuff etc?

For me, the main reason is and always has been the Kop not being adjacent to the away fans. This was what made the atmosphere at Filbert Street.

And success.. We need something to get excited about. We've not even made any new, exciting signings this season.

I honestly think it first started when we moved to the walkers from filbo and people didn't really know where to relocate to as well and the original kop crew as you'd possibly call it all got split up over the ground

Obviously enough time has passed for this to have been solved but we still have groups of people who for one reason or another can't all gather together and get behind the team ,

Although you can add this to the list of:

Loud music, the need not to get in the ground early anymore (reserved seating) and the modern fans mentality of I pay my money I want to turn up and be entertained

Everybody on here who moans about atmosphere moving their season tickets to L/K section would be a start.

There isn't the room in L for us to move over from what the club told us when we tried to relocate, and from what I gather the cost of the season tickets go up the closer to the halfway line? Is that right?

Also you seem to have the problem in there now where you have a lot of season ticket holders who have either got lazy or don't really want to get into the thick of it anymore?

As it goes, that won't happen, and this thread will fizzle out and we'll get the same thing next week.

The Kop: I go there, it's a force of habit. SK2 or SK3 of Filbert St is where I was and I like the view too much to move. Also I the price of season tickets is prohibitive in the East Stand so purely due to cost I ain't moving despite the best atmosphere being elsewhere

The real crux of the problem in the kop is a large majority of the Kop dwellers are ex Filbert St top deck of the Double Decker seated folk who only sing when we're winnning, prefer not to stand and complain if someone else does. Some of them are the most miserable people I have ever met in my life, I had to move my seat a couple of years ago for fear of a mass suicide attempt. Unless they move out or every game is an absolute cracker the atmosphere will remain the same.

The suggestion of swapping the kop and family end: not a bad idea but when the sun's out you can't see.

At Filbert Street the away end, in relation to the kop was where it is now apart from the stupid period of handing over SK1 so there is nothing new there.

In relation to now the gates during our old Division 2 days were significantly lower generally so the club is doing something right to attract fans but it's an eclectic mix in the kop.

The only way forward is to start a campaign to review the findings of the Taylor Report, dismiss them as irrelevant to modern seated stadia and start a petition to propose bringing back controlled temporary standing areas as they have in the Bundesliga. If the Kop becomes standing and sections next to the away fans too, happy days.

The biggest issue for me is the mentality whereby we expect to be entertained and have many fans who find it difficult to get up for the 'duller' matches.

That even seemed to be the case in L & K block on Saturday. These days, the idea of L & K blocks is that you go there if you want to make an atmosphere and be able to stand without any grief (in fairness, we say the club alienates the 18-30 year old section but they could try to stop us from standing there if they really wanted to). Anyway, the people that we had up there on Saturday didn't seem very up for it at all, even compared to what it's usually like. Even when the players were walking out, there was almost no noise whatsoever It was DEAD! The first time any of our fans started to get involved was for the Hey Jude song which is frankly, just boring now. I like it for away games but it just seems so underwhelming at home games and even I can barely be bothered to join in myself until that song is finished.

Whenever we start off well and even go a goal up, we get right behind them. But if that doesn't happen we hardly get behind them at all and if we go a goal down like we did on Saturday, then god help us for until we can hopefully equalise.

Like other posters have said though, we're very capable of creating a good atmosphere at this ground, the Watford playoff (and even league game beforehand) showed that. I'm not expecting us to create an atmosphere like that for a normal league game at home but it shows that we do have the fans that are capable of it, especially in the L & K blocks, so why was it SO dead last Saturday?

I honestly do try to do what I can and I must have started half of the chants that we did actually get going up until the 70th minute, which isn't saying much. I wish there were more like minded fans in the area at the time to help get things going.

It's not fair or realistic to expect the team to put on an amazing show for us week in week out or for us to win close, thrilling games that finish 3-2 or 4-3. When that happens, we're always behind the team (like against Bolton & Wolves at home). But that shouldn't mean that we can't truly get behind the team for any game, even if we're not winning or playing particularly well!

Instead of whining on here, the people that actually want a good loud atmosphere why not do something about it? Nothing is stopping you from suggesting all these ideas directly to the club, having said that the club don't even need to have anything to do with it, if everyone makes sure they sing and whatever then hopefully people will soon follow, and as for family's and oap's that just want to sit there in k/L f**k off! Obviously I'm not saying they have no right to attend football because I'm sure they care as much as the rest of us, why can't they do that on the prawn sandwich side of the ground? L/K should be for standing only IMO.

Archived