Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Hammond Signs

Source

Hammond Signs

Leicester City have today completed the signing of Fulham striker Elvis Hammond for a five-month loan period.

The 24-year-old centre-forward, who has been with the Cottagers since the age of 16, becomes Craig Levein's eighth signing of the summer and is eligible for Saturday's Championship opener against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane if selected.

Hammond has found first team appearances difficult to come by at Fulham, but has enjoyed loan spells with Bristol Rovers, Norwich City and most recently Dutch side RBC Roosendaal.

The Ghana-born centre forward has been handed the number 18 shirt, and his loan spell will run until December 31 2005.

:):D:D:thumbup:;)

Well at least we have another striker. His loan runs out on December 31st which is good because Levein will have a chance to either sign him permanently or sign another striker shortly after.

Welcome aboard Elvis. Looking forward to seeing you in a City shirt, let's hope you're a unearthed gem that will be the final piece of the jigsaw.

I am relieved we've now made our signings and we can concentrate on winning this bastard league.

Let's hope there aren't too many 'Suspicious Minds' out there regarding Elvis and he gets the fans backing.

Obviously I will give the guy a chance but I can't say this signing really impresses me, he's 24 (almost 25) and has only made a handful of first team starts and hasn't scored at all in any English league. I don't see him as someone who'll press for a first team starting place, more like someone who will be brought on towards the end of a match when de Vries is getting tired, like Stefan Moore. I hope he proves me wrong but I can't see him getting us the extra ten-or-so goals we need this season to be dangerous.

His atteributes sound promising but his record doesn't.

I think he is purely a back up player but fingers crossed if he can get a few goals his confidence will build up and we could have a great player on our hands.

Elvis Hammond

Player Profile

Another graduate of the Fulham Youth Academy, Elvis Hammond can boast to have played with such big names as Marcel Desailly, George Weah, Roger Milla and Ade Pele in Ghana where he was born, although boasting is not something this young star is comfortable with.

The youngster spent the 2001/2002 season on loan at Bristol Rovers where made eight appearances for the first team, but failed to get on the scoresheet.

Described by his colleagues as a modest player, Hammond really rose to prominence during the 2002/03 season when he topped the goalscoring charts in the Reserve League. A natural poacher with a strong instinct for a goal, his performances throughout the season earned him a call up to the first team, and he made ten appearances, many of them coming after Chris Coleman had taken the reigns from Jean Tigana.

August 2003 saw Hammond sent off to First Division side Norwich City for another loan, and this became the high point of his season. He suffered a broken kneecap, returned to Loftus Road and spent the rest of the season trying to recover from the injury.

Hammond's targets now are to break into the first team during the 2004/05 season, now that he is fully fit. It will not be easy competing with the likes of Sava, Boa Morte et al, especially with Coleman favouring a lone striker, but he is determined to change his "promising striker" tag to "prolific striker". Elvis himself admits, it's a case of now or never. He said:

"I'm now 23-years-old so if it doesn't happen for me next season - who knows. But I'm going to try my hardest to make a go of it."

He made it back to training for the remaining five sessions of the 2003/04 campaign and spent the summer working on his fitness levels to ensure that he would be raring to go come August.

However, he struggled to make an impact and joined RBC Roosendaal in January 2005 on loan until the end of the season.

great news - well done to the person who posted this before it was announced. I'm keen to see what he's like - hopefully he'll be on the bench tomorrow.

One downer is the loaning of him. I understand this will give CL time to assess him and ponder a permanent switch but the last thing we want to do is reinvent a player and have him priced out if he does v well. We'll have to wait and see..

Welcome Elvis!

great news - well done to the person who posted this before it was announced. I'm keen to see what he's like - hopefully he'll be on the bench tomorrow.

One downer is the loaning of him. I understand this will give CL time to assess him and ponder a permanent switch but the last thing we want to do is reinvent a player and have him priced out if he does v well.  We'll have to wait and see..

Welcome Elvis!

150380[/snapback]

That's a very good point, but i'd rather us take that gamble on this occasion because as Louise says at 24 nearly 25 with a rather poor C.V he's got alot to prove.

He's an unknown commodity though and he might well be crucial for us. His pace will give us an alternative style of play perhaps late on in a game.

That's a very good point, but i'd rather us take that gamble on this occasion because as Louise says at 24 nearly 25 with a rather poor C.V he's got alot to prove.

He's an unknown commodity though and he might well be crucial for us. His pace will give us an alternative style of play perhaps late on in a game.

150385[/snapback]

yep agreed .. hopefully the move should put some pressure on our first choice pairing.

Seems like a good signing to me, although the proof will be on the pitch. You've got to be realistic about who we could get. Whoever came in was going to cover for Connolly, and considering we finished 15th being a bench warmer isn't really that attractive an option. Just ask Stefan Moore. As for it being a loan, seems like the right idea. He's cearly got a lot to prove and if it does work out I think Levein's canny enough to have already discussed a permanant fee.

Archived