Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'Close' Hull, Middlesboro', Burnley, Hartlepool and other failing Cities/Towns down!

I think you're confused. There's just a vast, unwashed wasteland.

:D

I know Hull and Middlesbrough always get brushed with this 'worst place' thing. Not going to disagree, but both places have wonderful sights in terms of The Humber Bridge and The Transporter Bridge.

Do people actually get paid to write tripe like that?

Surely it's  some schoolboy's homework essay that's somehow been printed by mistake.

I  would think it's much easier to move jobs to places where people and houses are , than to move people to jobs where there is little spare housing 

Seems reasonable to me. If expensive efforts to attract jobs to these cities are failing, why not concentrate on improving transport infrastructure so that people living in those cities find it easier to get to jobs in other cities? Then they can bring their wealth back to the original city which will provoke growth in a much more natural way.

:D

I know Hull and Middlesbrough always get brushed with this 'worst place' thing. Not going to disagree, but both places have wonderful sights in terms of The Humber Bridge and The Transporter Bridge.

The Humber Bridge isn't in Hull.

Ideally you want people to work close to home, cutting traffic, pollution and increasing local wealth. There's absolutely no reason why cities such as Hull, Middlesborough, Burnley (I notice these are all in the north :rolleyes: ) can't attract businesses beyond a general apathy of large companies wanting to make an effort. I'm not talking sacrifices here, just the same thing that every working jo/e has to put into their job if they want to be successful, a modicum of effort. Ivory towers and all that.

Let them eat barm cakes.

The article's argument was based on the Government having already spent too much on these towns and it not changing things.

Ah right. I had a case of misleadingtitleitis as I couldn't open the article.

I've recovered now.

What utter crap. Britain needs to revive it's manufacturing industries, what better place than previous industrial areas with international gateways and with regard to Hull, a motorway that runs right to the town.

What utter crap. Britain needs to revive it's manufacturing industries, what better place than previous industrial areas with international gateways and with regard to Hull, a motorway that runs right to the town.

You want to bring things like the textiles industries back with human manufacturing so that we can produce pairs of socks for about a tenner each which nobody will ever buy? Or do you want to cut the min wage back to about a pound an hour and see a return to days of practically no h&s regs so that we can compete on price with the likes of China?

You want to bring things like the textiles industries back with human manufacturing so that we can produce pairs of socks for about a tenner each which nobody will ever buy? Or do you want to cut the min wage back to about a pound an hour and see a return to days of practically no h&s regs so that we can compete on price with the likes of China?

No you bring back what works or is needed. How long do you think the nannie state can last on service industries.

I don't understand your argument that everything has to be black or white.

Humberside then.

My mate lives about two minutes away from it.

He doesn't live in Hull then, he lives in Hessle. It would be like trying to talk about Leicester by bringing up Melton Mowbray or Loughborough.

Don't slag off a city ("I don't disagree") you've clearly never visited aside from the football (which is in a shite area as most modern stadiums are, look at the KP) then try to make yourself look reasoned by bringing up a giant concrete white elephant that's not even in the city. If you'd said the Marina, the Fruit Market, most of the City Centre (which is actually rather attractive), Queens Gardens or any of the student areas I would accept that you know what you're talking about.

There are a lot of talented, well educated and determined people in cities like Hull continually undermined by ignorance like this.

Whatever manufacturing that works is already here. The beauty of a free market.

If that was so, the area Greenville Spartanburg SC would still be a farming region instead of the high tech industrialized area it is today with all the attendant service industries

That was set up as a special economic zone some years ago that has attracted many notable manufacturers to the region.

Archived