Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigSmudge

Overrating

Hey guys, I'd just like to discuss something, do you think we as a club overrate our players? After reading back on the previous topics and reading through, I seen many fans overrating the likes of Drinkwater and James. Whilst I agree these are exceptional players in this division, I just have a general feeling that we as a club overrate our own.

What are your thoughts?

PS: those who posted the pro-drinkwater and James posts, don't take offence, simply making a point :)

I think all fans overrate some of their own players. Times that by ten when they have been away from the side for a while.

You couldn't find a single City fan who didn't rate Hobbs when he was here, now he's at Forest we all don't think he is that good.

Overrate? I'd say the opposite!

Our players get so much stick from fans after a couple of dodgy appearances.

Saying Drinkwater is our player of the season so far isn't over rating him, is it?

But don't we give them so much stick because in part we overrate them, and think they are the best players in the world, then when they don't play to the high standard we expect of them, see Nugent, they get slated for not living up to the high standards we impose on them.

Liam moore as an example, fans on here putting £10m on his head is laughable, He's good, but at this level, he has potential to be a good premiership player, but fans think he could slot into united now....

Maybe in a few years he would be a regular, but not yet.

I think I have been one to overrate drinkwater but glad to see him proving me somewhat right. still need to improve to the standards I have talked him up too

We have a natural tendency to over-rate our own because we see them far more than we see anyone else. Think it's as simple as that. The same happens with England players.

Liam moore as an example, fans on here putting £10m on his head is laughable, He's good, but at this level, he has potential to be a good premiership player, but fans think he could slot into united now....

Maybe in a few years he would be a regular, but not yet.

I think I have been one to overrate drinkwater but glad to see him proving me somewhat right. still need to improve to the standards I have talked him up too

To be fair, given the money Zaha went for and the kind of ridiculous money Hughes is being quoted at, I can fully see why people would want to see big money for Moore.

We have a natural tendency to over-rate our own because we see them far more than we see anyone else. Think it's as simple as that. The same happens with England players.

To be fair, given the money Zaha went for and the kind of ridiculous money Hughes is being quoted at, I can fully see why people would want to see big money for Moore.

This!!!! If Derby are saying they won't even discuss offers under £8 million for Will Hughes (who is so overrated it's unbelievable, Barca FFS?) then we are perfectly able to expect a fee over £5 million for Liam Moore.

This!!!! If Derby are saying they won't even discuss offers under £8 million for Will Hughes (who is so overrated it's unbelievable, Barca FFS?) then we are perfectly able to expect a fee over £5 million for Liam Moore.

I've heard closer to double what you've said. Absolutely embarrassing how little you have to do to be apparently worth that much now. He's a good player but has he been any better than Drinkwater this season?

It's a fact english talent is overrated, But unfortunately we have not had barca interested in moore, we have had newcastle interested... who also take interest in most of our young players, Knockaert, moore, Max gradel in the past...

If world class clubs are interested in him, then £8m is exactly right... He had us in his pocket in 2 games that I watched...

to be honest I'd have hughes over liam moore personally. and so would barca.

It's a fact english talent is overrated, But unfortunately we have not had barca interested in moore, we have had newcastle interested... who also take interest in most of our young players, Knockaert, moore, Max gradel in the past...

If world class clubs are interested in him, then £8m is exactly right... He had us in his pocket in 2 games that I watched...

Yeh, he truly had us in his back pocket in the two games we beat Derby home & away.

He showed touches of class but that kind of mythical nonsense is exactly what the whole thread is doing. 'Over-rating'. You wouldn't have mentioned a word on him if the papers didn't highlight him.

I've heard closer to double what you've said. Absolutely embarrassing how little you have to do to be apparently worth that much now. He's a good player but has he been any better than Drinkwater this season?

Probably not to be fair,

But he has done more in 2 years than danny has done in 6, And he's been very consistent, Thats why he gets that pricetag, he's 18 and english, and looks to be the sort of player than could potentially be one of the most exciting prospects in england if not the world if trained properly.

P.s I don't read newspapers, 

Friend is a season ticket holder there, been hyping him for 2 years, I've watched him personally about 5/6 times, and have watched the last 2 seasons derby county dvds, They spend allot of time showing him,

Yes they are overhyping their player, however they couldnt have so much footage on him if he did not do the things on camera...

Although its easier to overhype a midfielder or striker than a defender.

I love Liam moore, but I prefer will hughes IMO.... 

To put it this way, If I was leicester manager, I'd sell liam moore for £5m, I'd laugh that off for will hughes, Certainly for zaha

Rubbish. Will Hughes is comfortably the most overrated player in English football atm. He has been terrible every time I've seen him play against us, lightweight, poor decision making and poor defensively. He's just hyped up because his touch is unreal and he has exceptional balance. F all else. 

Danny Drinkwater hasn't had Clem on the FLS going round to his house and chatting to his Mum about how wonderful he is yet.

Hughes has, once you make a really good pass and Liverpool say they might be interested you become a top player.

Danny Drinkwater hasn't had Clem on the FLS going round to his house and chatting to his Mum about how wonderful he is yet.

Hughes has, once you make a really good pass and Liverpool say they might be interested you become a top player.

Yeh. That sums up why Drinkwater won't ever play at the top. He hasn't had some shite montage on the FLS, hasn't had the papers nicking generated headlines from Football Manager and doesn't look like a battenburg so isn't as easy to notice.

Probably not to be fair,

But he has done more in 2 years than danny has done in 6, And he's been very consistent, Thats why he gets that pricetag, he's 18 and english, and looks to be the sort of player than could potentially be one of the most exciting prospects in england if not the world if trained properly.

I haven't seen anything from Hughes to suggest he's not just another Joe Allen. A good player, but Barcelona? Hilarious. He'd do well to get into Barcelona B.

I haven't seen anything from Hughes to suggest he's not just another Joe Allen. A good player, but Barcelona? Hilarious. He'd do well to get into Barcelona B.

This.

You have wonder how much Spanish football people watch if they seriously think Will Hughes is interesting Barcelona.

He looks a decent prospect.

Rubbish. Will Hughes is comfortably the most overrated player in English football atm. He has been terrible every time I've seen him play against us, lightweight, poor decision making and poor defensively. He's just hyped up because his touch is unreal and he has exceptional balance. F all else. 

He must be shite if:

He plays for derby,

Barcelona scouted him,

Arsenal scouted him,

Man city scouted him,

Chelsea scouted him,

Called up to the england u21 side 4 years early,

been football young player of the month numerous times.

This opinion is valid yet will be biased, Frank fielding who has played with jack wilshere at 18 said hughes is the same class in training.

And is expected to sign for Liverpool  in  January  after  allegedly  already accepting a deal and agreeing terms (The sun) - Since liverpool have rubbished the claims, could mean anything to be honest, wouldnt trust them. Liverpool rubbished claims they had made a bid for andy carroll

There is overrating, then there is the best minds and scouts in world football checking you out......

Most people tend to overate players that have a few really good games. To me a player should be rated on a long term performance level. I personally believe that we have no outstanding players, but a group that are playing well as a unit, which to me is the key factor.

It could well be that in time, Liam Moore could develop into an outstanding player, and others may follow.

He must be shite if:

He plays for derby, - Nothing special

Barcelona scouted him, - dubious

Arsenal scouted him, - possible

Man city scouted him, - dubious

Chelsea scouted him, - dubious

Called up to the england u21 side 4 years early, - So did Trevor Benjamin

been football young player of the month numerous times. - Once

This opinion is valid yet will be biased, Frank fielding who has played with jack wilshere at 18 said hughes is the same class in training. - Frank Fielding is a willy puller

And is expected to sign for Liverpool  in  January  after  allegedly  already accepting a deal and agreeing terms (The sun) lol - Since liverpool have rubbished the claims, could mean anything to be honest, wouldnt trust them. Liverpool rubbished claims they had made a bid for andy carroll. Lets hope hes as succesful as Carroll was at Liverpool

There is overrating, then there is the best minds and scouts in world football checking you out......

He must be shite if:

He plays for derby, - Nothing special

Barcelona scouted him, - dubious

Arsenal scouted him, - possible

Man city scouted him, - dubious

Chelsea scouted him, - dubious

Called up to the england u21 side 4 years early, - So did Trevor Benjamin

been football young player of the month numerous times. - Once

This opinion is valid yet will be biased, Frank fielding who has played with jack wilshere at 18 said hughes is the same class in training. - Frank Fielding is a willy puller

And is expected to sign for Liverpool  in  January  after  allegedly  already accepting a deal and agreeing terms (The sun) lol - Since liverpool have rubbished the claims, could mean anything to be honest, wouldnt trust them. Liverpool rubbished claims they had made a bid for andy carroll. Lets hope hes as succesful as Carroll was at Liverpool

Noticed the little Trevor benjamin mistake, Good job you changed it  :thumbup:

With regard to your answers, 

The fact all these teams are supposedly looking at him is dubious, it could be a load of bollocks, 

But when brendan rodgers quotes you are one of the brightest young talents in the game?

And all these teams are linked with you, thats not come from 2 seasons of inconsistency has it? at 18 years old he is derby countys best player and one of the best prospects in the country, that's a fact.. Maybe he is overrated,

But if you gave a list of the most overrated players in the country, he would be one of the best of the lot....

He's a good prospect but massively overrated.

Of course teams are looking at him, most top clubs have networks of scouts bigger than clubs of our sizes squads these days, they will be looking at any young player half decent, I guarantee a few will have ran the rile over Knocky/Kasper/Moore etc recently.

Hughes is good but he isn't going to be playing for the best teams in the World, the only time he'll get close to Barcelona is if he has his stag do on La Rambla.

As a club as you stated NO

As fans yes a lot do.

From my point if we win this league NP has a lot to do in the summer.

The squad we have will really fall short in the prem and will have a short stay imo.

He will have to learn quick how to spend money and pay wages.

Also if as rumoured he struggles to deal with attitude he's going to have to learn how to deal with it.

Will Hughes is ****ing average hence why he's still at Derby. A team would have splashed big cash for him in the summer if they were convinced. Ravel Morrison, he is top drawer, underrated because of his previous lifestyle choices and left Man United. Ravel will be everything people are saying about Will Hughes.

Archived