Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

I'm completely out of touch AND I LIKE IT

I was delighted this morning that my ceaseless attempts to divorce myself from popular culture are at last yielding fruit.

I took delivery of a copy of NOW 82 (not 1982, you understand), my soon to be ten year old niece's charmingly slightly out of date choice of birthday gift.  Although I recognised some of the names of the artistes who had contributed to this compendium of wonder, I was thrilled not to recognise a single one of the 44 ditties contained therein.

Nothing remotely remarkable about that, of course.  What did surprise me slightly was, when putting this to the office they a) don't believe me and b) don't see this as something to be proud of.  Apparently, as the parent of a young child (he's barely 2, for criven's sake) I should have my finger on the pop pulse otherwise I will be an 'uncool' parent.  Now I'm no expert, but knowing what I do know, would it be possible to look more of a willy puller as a 39 year old man, to pretend to like David Guetta, whatever that is?

I'm sharing this for no reason other than I love you all

I was delighted this morning that my ceaseless attempts to divorce myself from popular culture are at last yielding fruit.

I took delivery of a copy of NOW 82 (not 1982, you understand), my soon to be ten year old niece's charmingly slightly out of date choice of birthday gift.  Although I recognised some of the names of the artistes who had contributed to this compendium of wonder, I was thrilled not to recognise a single one of the 44 ditties contained therein.

Nothing remotely remarkable about that, of course.  What did surprise me slightly was, when putting this to the office they a) don't believe me and b) don't see this as something to be proud of.  Apparently, as the parent of a young child (he's barely 2, for criven's sake) I should have my finger on the pop pulse otherwise I will be an 'uncool' parent.  Now I'm no expert, but knowing what I do know, would it be possible to look more of a willy puller as a 39 year old man, to pretend to like David Guetta, whatever that is?

I hear what your saying, maybe its a age thing (I'm around your age), and I wouldn't have a clue about what's in the charts or who was on X factor etc....Unlike yourself it wasn't intentional, it was just through simply hating everything I was hearing on popular radio or music channels.  Its easy to say its all shit, it isn't there's the odd song I hear (whilst elsewhere) that I think is alright (Taylor swift - we are never ever...) I thought was a great pop song.

But increasingly I find myself either going back to my older LP's or trawling the interweb for new more obscure records.

Each to their own and all that, but I will never understand the sheep mentality of accepting that chart music or reality TV is all there is, that kind of modern lazyness does irk, especially when I have relatives asking me 'so what did you think of x factor last night' and my response to bemused faces is 'I don't really watch TV'.

I've heard of 'Call me maybe', but I wouldn't have heard of that if it wasn't for Foxestalk & the Crystal Palace cheerleaders.

It just seems that so much chart music is throw away & has such a short shelf life.  It's not that all pop music is shit, it's more to do with it appearing & disappearing again before an old timer like me (42) has had the chance to take notice.

My 10 year old nephew sits listening to stuff on his iPad & I haven't the foggiest who or what it is?  I'm lucky that I can clear off & leave my sister to it.

I'd imagine, in a few years time when your 2 year old starts listening to music, you will soon be aware of who David Guetta is - or his future equivalent.  No matter how hard you try not to.

It's a prophylactic.

But in any case, well done to you sir - the sooner we can get that record shop the better!

No idea about chart music these days. The first ever album I bought was Now 11 in 1988, double cassette. Here's the tracklisting...

now11cdb.jpg

Some decent tunes on that

Side 2 got some decent tunes on it

I'd imagine, in a few years time when your 2 year old starts listening to music, you will soon be aware of who David Guetta is - or his future equivalent. No matter how hard you try not to.

I can attest to this. I know more about one direction, jessie j, and rhianna than I care to admit.

As I've said before, I don't think there are really any rights or wrongs about personal taste, and if someone genuinely likes modern chart music, who am I or anyone else to argue with them?

I love music, always have - it's probably the most important thing to me in the world, beyond my family, and stuff like oxygen and food, but I'm confused as to why it should be bizarre that I have no interest in art forms that are aimed at under 25s, which I'm pretty sure is what the singles chart at least is now entirely made up of.

What's amusing me and making me feel rebellious in a very small way, is that I'm getting a sense, from people in my office at least, that my rejection of youth culture is unsettling purely because, with my 40th birthday just over a year away, I am cheerily discarding any notion that I am in any way a young person.

You should have heard the histrionics when Radio 1 announced at some point in the last year or so that they wouldn't be playlisting Robbie Williams' new single, basically because he's about the same age as me, and the station is aimed at 16-25 year olds.  I don't think people are that upset about not hearing Williams on Radio 1 anymore - after all, it's not difficult to listen to him every second of every day via a multitude of other means if you feel you need to.  It's only because he's too old, the insinuation is that you are also too old and that this is not for you anymore, it's for young people which you most definitely are not.

Trav, I remain entirely up for opening that record shop, but I think we have to enter into this venture full in the knowledge that there will be few if any customers.  I don't think that should stop us, though

No idea about chart music these days. The first ever album I bought was Now 11 in 1988, double cassette. Here's the tracklisting...

now11cdb.jpg

Some decent tunes on that

Now albums used to be far more diverse. You could always rely on a Now album to have something worth playing on a jukebox. Looking on there you've got mainstream pop (Kylie, Dollar, Belinda) techno/house (Bomb The Bass, Coldcut, The Cookie Crew) goth rock (The Mission) indie (Morrissey, Sinaed O'Connor) rock n roll (Eddie Cochran) rock (Whitesnake) reggae (Eddy Grant) soul (Billy Ocean, Climie Fisher, Wet Wet Wet) and even a novelty song (Morris Minor)

The recent Nows are almost solid RnB (I use the term losely) though that might also be a sad reflection of current chart music. There's a distinct lack of diversity in chart music with many big artists having 2 or 3 tracks in the chart at the same time. This used to happen of course, but rarely, at the moment you will see 2 or 3 acts in this situation pretty much every week.

More depressing is when I peruse the albums on sale in supermarkets. It's just compilation CD after compilation CD. Been years since I went into a dedicated music store, would probably have been Rock-a-boom, but then I never go into town and there's nothing like that out of town either.

If I ever get rich I will open that shop and me and Bellend will scare customers by tutting disapprovingly as they examine the track listing of a Nicki Minaj album or argue with them as to whether Morrissey was better solo or with The Smiths. There will be flyers for bands no one has heard of and listening stations that you're not allowed to listen to if we don't like the look of you (maybe you have a Barbie tattoo or are walking suspiciously) The listening stations of course will not work, but there will be a turntable with vinyl constantly playing, maybe on repeat. The door will play a cockney "have a banana" fanfare as anyone walks in or out. All music will be alphabetised and categorised by genre, sub-genre and associated acts, with all our favourite music tucked away at the back in the most inaccessible locations. A wide range of band t-shirts will be available in sizes XXL to XXXXXL (I did say a wide range). I'll leave all customer interaction to Bellend, only pausing from playing obscure songs on Audiosurf (in order to be champion of the world at that song) disgruntledly to provide begrudging service where Mr Sebastian's broad knowledge might diverge from mine.

Somewhere in the shop there will be a pinball table.

I think that shop plan is pretty much spot on apart from you've missed that Nina from Nina and the Neurons and Cat Sandion off Cbeebies will be there at the grand opening.

I'm assuming that someone from the bank will read this and be giving us a call soon to offer us a massive low rate loan to get us started.

It's only a matter of time as far as I'm concerned

Now albums used to be far more diverse. You could always rely on a Now album to have something worth playing on a jukebox. Looking on there you've got mainstream pop (Kylie, Dollar, Belinda) techno/house (Bomb The Bass, Coldcut, The Cookie Crew) goth rock (The Mission) indie (Morrissey, Sinaed O'Connor) rock n roll (Eddie Cochran) rock (Whitesnake) reggae (Eddy Grant) soul (Billy Ocean, Climie Fisher, Wet Wet Wet) and even a novelty song (Morris Minor)

The recent Nows are almost solid RnB (I use the term losely) though that might also be a sad reflection of current chart music. There's a distinct lack of diversity in chart music with many big artists having 2 or 3 tracks in the chart at the same time. This used to happen of course, but rarely, at the moment you will see 2 or 3 acts in this situation pretty much every week.

More depressing is when I peruse the albums on sale in supermarkets. It's just compilation CD after compilation CD. Been years since I went into a dedicated music store, would probably have been Rock-a-boom, but then I never go into town and there's nothing like that out of town either.

If I ever get rich I will open that shop and me and Bellend will scare customers by tutting disapprovingly as they examine the track listing of a Nicki Minaj album or argue with them as to whether Morrissey was better solo or with The Smiths. There will be flyers for bands no one has heard of and listening stations that you're not allowed to listen to if we don't like the look of you (maybe you have a Barbie tattoo or are walking suspiciously) The listening stations of course will not work, but there will be a turntable with vinyl constantly playing, maybe on repeat. The door will play a cockney "have a banana" fanfare as anyone walks in or out. All music will be alphabetised and categorised by genre, sub-genre and associated acts, with all our favourite music tucked away at the back in the most inaccessible locations. A wide range of band t-shirts will be available in sizes XXL to XXXXXL (I did say a wide range). I'll leave all customer interaction to Bellend, only pausing from playing obscure songs on Audiosurf (in order to be champion of the world at that song) disgruntledly to provide begrudging service where Mr Sebastian's broad knowledge might diverge from mine.

Somewhere in the shop there will be a pinball table.

lol  :thumbup:

After seeing a story in the business news suggesting it's the biggest seller of 2013 so far, I've just heard Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' for the first time.

Once again, no-one believes me that I have managed to avoid this experience up until now, but surely it's not that hard?  I don't listen to Radio 1 (or any commercial stations), don't watch music television since dumping Sky two years ago, and I don't go in places like Top Man.  The assertion someone made that you'd hear it just walking through the Highcross may be true, but as I do that about 3 times a year I must have 'got lucky' and not heard it (incidentally, I am familiar with 'Get Lucky' but I attribute this to knowing a lot of Daft Punk fans rather than having heard it by chance elsewhere).

As for 'Blurred Lines'....well it's sort of alright.  I wouldn't rush to turn it off, but I wouldn't find myself turning it up, either.  Robin Thicke's clearly no Mike Sarne

After seeing a story in the business news suggesting it's the biggest seller of 2013 so far, I've just heard Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' for the first time.

Once again, no-one believes me that I have managed to avoid this experience up until now, but surely it's not that hard?  I don't listen to Radio 1 (or any commercial stations), don't watch music television since dumping Sky two years ago, and I don't go in places like Top Man.  The assertion someone made that you'd hear it just walking through the Highcross may be true, but as I do that about 3 times a year I must have 'got lucky' and not heard it (incidentally, I am familiar with 'Get Lucky' but I attribute this to knowing a lot of Daft Punk fans rather than having heard it by chance elsewhere).

As for 'Blurred Lines'....well it's sort of alright.  I wouldn't rush to turn it off, but I wouldn't find myself turning it up, either.  Robin Thicke's clearly no Mike Sarne

is that the song that was ripped off of Marvin Gaye's "gotta give it up" ?

It's a catchy tune about getting women drunk or high so that you can rape them. What astonishes me more is there are people who have heard this song countless times and don't realise that this is what the song is about.

Some people think I'm wierd because I listen to things like "lyrics".

It's a catchy tune about getting women drunk or high so that you can rape them. What astonishes me more is there are people who have heard this song countless times and don't realise that this is what the song is about.

Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon, You come and go, You come and go.

what's that  all about then ? 

I'm turning into Mrs Merton  :D

The lyrics are sometimes the best part of a song.... I wonder if All Saints realised that 'Under The Bridge' was about Chili Peppers Anthony Kiedis' heroin addiction

Archived