Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

Teachers Strike March 26th

I believe I outed his profession many, many months ago.

Ah, but not so long ago he was posting on FT whilst in a very, very important business meeting. McD's burger tossers don't have very important meetings, surely, unless it's to debate how to operate the McFlurry machine? :unsure: 

Ah, but not so long ago he was posting on FT whilst in a very, very important business meeting. McD's burger tossers don't have very important meetings, surely, unless it's to debate how to operate the McFlurry machine? :unsure:

You seem to be having a really hard time getting to grips with the idea that people might attend meetings where not 100% of the discussion is totally relevant to every person in the room. I expect it's actually quite common. I'm often sat in meetings that go off on tangents lasting what seems like forever that I have no stake in at all so yes, I take the opportunity to make more superb contributions to ft.

Woah neat trick. Seriously impressive.

This thread is about teachers striking and one of the main justifications teachers use for striking is their supposed high workload. This credible report shows that they work no more hours than is expected in any other profession. As a tax payer and a responsible member of a democracy I'm entitled, even compelled, to use reports such as this to question the justification for striking. If that makes me a horrible little man then so be it. At least my fingers are clean.

I think you'll find we're 'expected' and paid to work 1265 hours.

I wonder what the others in a boardroom think when they are being ignored when having their say>

Probably grateful to be able to speak with the relevant parties without having people from other disciplines wasting time with unnecessary comments and questions.

Probably grateful to be able to speak with the relevant parties without having people from other disciplines wasting time with unnecessary comments and questions.

Why, are you not interested in when the next batch of Mcnuggets is coming in?

Or perhaps they just think you're pig-ignorant. :dunno: 

Woah neat trick. Seriously impressive.

This thread is about teachers striking and one of the main justifications teachers use for striking is their supposed high workload. This credible report shows that they work no more hours than is expected in any other profession. As a tax payer and a responsible member of a democracy I'm entitled, even compelled, to use reports such as this to question the justification for striking. If that makes me a horrible little man then so be it. At least my fingers are clean.

Now you really are being contradictory.

In your opening post you state "I wonder how reliable this is, given it is self reported but even with that flaw"..., now above, you're saying it's a "credible report".

You're trying to crawl away from this now as you are so inconsistent with your points that you are getting shown up for the sad little troll that you are.

Now you really are being contradictory.

In your opening post you state "I wonder how reliable this is, given it is self reported but even with that flaw"..., now above, you're saying it's a "credible report".

You're trying to crawl away from this now as you are so inconsistent with your points that you are getting shown up for the sad little troll that you are.

For what feels like the 15th time, I'm happy to take the report on face value. It still shows that teachers work no more hours than any other profession. That fundamental point won't change no matter how many cheap points you lot try to score off me.

For what feels like the 15th time, I'm happy to take the report on face value. It still shows that teachers work no more hours than any other profession. That fundamental point won't change no matter how many cheap points you lot try to score off me.

So, as everyone keeps asking, what job do you do, that you feel so hard done by Teachers, since you keep implying that you work in a skilled, much more difficult job, for more hours and less pay.

You say it's not relevant to the discussion, but since you keep talking about how teachers are taking your "hard earned taxes", I feel that it is. You've said that you don't mind telling us what you do, so go on, humour us. I'm genuinely intrigued, because if teaching is supposedly relaxed in comparison, then you must have one of the most difficult and stressful jobs known to man.

So, as everyone keeps asking, what job do you do, that you feel so hard done by Teachers, since you keep implying that you work in a skilled, much more difficult job, for more hours and less pay.

You say it's not relevant to the discussion, but since you keep talking about how teachers are taking your "hard earned taxes", I feel that it is. You've said that you don't mind telling us what you do, so go on, humour us. I'm genuinely intrigued, because if teaching is supposedly relaxed in comparison, then you must have one of the most difficult and stressful jobs known to man.

I haven't implied any of those things. I'm not making any comparisons between teaching and my own profession so I don't see how it's relevant. I'm just exercising my right as a tax payer and a member of a democracy to question those who claim they deserve more public money.

I haven't implied any of those things. I'm not making any comparisons between teaching and my own profession so I don't see how it's relevant. I'm just exercising my right as a tax payer and a member of a democracy to question those who claim they deserve more public money.

If you won't tell us what you actually do, why not do what you've done in so many of your posts and make something up?

Mooses job is that hard that he is able to waste his time posting on message boards during work hours. I am not sure teachers are able to do that while trying to keep a classroom of teenagers interested in the subject they are teaching and keeping the unruly element of the class from disrupting the class or smashing up the classroom.

"Plus additional hours needed to enable the effective discharge of their professional duties"

Not sure what point you're trying to make anyway.

As always the devil is in the detail

The time and place are to be determined by the teacher. However, the requirement to work additional hours is subject to, and in the context of, the entitlement to enjoy a reasonable work/life balance, outlined in Section 4 of the STPCD. Under Section 2 of the 2008 STPCD, schools are required to ensure that they “have regard to the desirability of teachers at the school being able to achieve a satisfactory balance between the time required to discharge their professional duties...and the time required to pursue their personal interests outside workâ€.

195 days is all I'm employed for, my salary is very kindly spread over the year to cover those days when I am not. In those 195 days (190 teaching) I am required to work 1265 hours.

If we assume I'm working an additional 25 hours a week for those 39 weeks then I'd actually work 43 hours a week, every week, if I had no 'breaks' or 'holidays'. Anyone fancy a 52 week 43 hours per week job? Anyone fancy spending 5 years training to do the job?

I would hope that employees in any sector would question their employer if they found themselves putting in 25 hours unpaid overtime every week.

But you have made comparisons between teaching and your own profession. 

MooseBreath, on 23 Mar 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

I work about 55 hours per week on average. No overtime pay. Bare minimum holiday allowance. Minimal matched pension contributions. No early retirement unless I save for it. Job is stressful and carries a lot of responsibility. It's impossible to switch off from work even on holiday.

This I imagine is what most people's lives are like. Quite why teachers consider themselves a special case I really can't begin to comphrehend.

As always the devil is in the detail

The time and place are to be determined by the teacher. However, the requirement to work additional hours is subject to, and in the context of, the entitlement to enjoy a reasonable work/life balance, outlined in Section 4 of the STPCD. Under Section 2 of the 2008 STPCD, schools are required to ensure that they “have regard to the desirability of teachers at the school being able to achieve a satisfactory balance between the time required to discharge their professional duties...and the time required to pursue their personal interests outside workâ€.

195 days is all I'm employed for, my salary is very kindly spread over the year to cover those days when I am not. In those 195 days (190 teaching) I am required to work 1265 hours.

If we assume I'm working an additional 25 hours a week for those 39 weeks then I'd actually work 43 hours a week, every week, if I had no 'breaks' or 'holidays'. Anyone fancy a 52 week 43 hours per week job? Anyone fancy spending 5 years training to do the job?

I would hope that employees in any sector would question their employer if they found themselves putting in 25 hours unpaid overtime every week.

Bit wishy washy that. You're not doing that much unpaid overtime, it clearly states that you are expected to do more than 1265 hours in order to "discharge professional duties". The average teacher is doing 55 hours per week, add in the huge amount of holidays and it's not a bad deal as far as I can see.

Bit wishy washy that. You're not doing that much unpaid overtime, it clearly states that you are expected to do more than 1265 hours in order to "discharge professional duties". The average teacher is doing 55 hours per week, add in the huge amount of holidays and it's not a bad deal as far as I can see.

As I stated it's the equivalent of 43 hours a week 52 weeks a year.

Archived