Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

Teachers Strike March 26th

I don't get why people care about our standing in "international league tables". Our kids don't revise for international exams, other countries do.

Because it shows where we stand in the world educationally wise. We're going backwards and our competitors are going forward which isn't good whichever way you look at it.

The educational establishment keep telling how they know better while making things worse.

Because it shows where we stand in the world educationally wise. We're going backwards and our competitors are going forward which isn't good whichever way you look at it.

The educational establishment keep telling how they know better while making things worse.

Did you not read what I wrote? We haven't been targeting the international tests like some other countries do. It is common knowledge that the Asian countries like China and Singapore use these tables as a source of national prestige and so they groom the children for these tests while we don't. So no, it doesn't show where we stand in the world educationally at all.

Did you not read what I wrote? We haven't been targeting the international tests like some other countries do. It is common knowledge that the Asian countries like China and Singapore use these tables as a source of national prestige and so they groom the children for these tests while we don't. So no, it doesn't show where we stand in the world educationally at all.

It's a standard test in writing and maths. You don't have to be groomed to pass a test to know basic maths and we don't know it as well as the foreign kids.

It's also been proved that we're doing worse at these tests than we were 30 years ago so whatever excuse you come up with we are definitely going backwards.

Webbo perhaps we can agree to disagree on somethings, think we need to look at parenting rather than teaching and don't know what line of work your in but some of my customers and their offspring can  appear beyond hope and we can't blame the Mail and Times favourite politician for that. 

It's a standard test in writing and maths. You don't have to be groomed to pass a test to know basic maths and we don't know it as well as the foreign kids.

It's also been proved that we're doing worse at these tests than we were 30 years ago so whatever excuse you come up with we are definitely going backwards.

I disagree. No matter the test, you will perform better if you practice and revise that style of test. I don't believe we are going backwards. I don't know how you can possibly conclude that is definite.

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27087942

I wonder how reliable this is, given it is self reported, but even with that flaw this report disproves claims that teachers are working long into the night and all weekend. It shows that teachers work about 55 hours per teaching week. Add in the 12 weeks of holiday and they average considerably less hours over a year than other professions.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27087942

I wonder how reliable this is, given it is self reported, but even with that flaw this report disproves claims that teachers are working long into the night and all weekend. It shows that teachers work about 55 hours per teaching week. Add in the 12 weeks of holiday and they average considerably less hours over a year than other professions.

No.

It shows that teachers work BETWEEN 55 and 63 hours per week depending on which level of teaching, primary, secondary, head. You can make a post and leave out the detail of a report to reflect your own thinking and hope that people will read what you say and believe it to be accurate without clicking the link, which in turn you hope will sway others to believe that teachers claims are spurious and unfounded.

There are a number of teachers who post here that all say the same thing about working during holidays, making lesson plans (not just for one lesson but several in advance), marking (particularly secondary school teachers for GCSE's and mock exams) etc.

Are you saying they are all being disingenuous?

I don't know what you do as a job but I doubt you have to spend much, if any time, planning a months work in advance.

I suppose it depends on what level you are. There may be some teachers that go into school do the minimum hours then go home. Others prepare lessons mark home work and do out of school activities. My brother when a teacher had to set out the program for the coming term and took after school classes for pupils that wanted them. This was his free time and unpaid. I expect there is less homework marking for woodwork than there is for English or Maths.

No.

It shows that teachers work BETWEEN 55 and 63 hours per week depending on which level of teaching, primary, secondary, head. You can make a post and leave out the detail of a report to reflect your own thinking and hope that people will read what you say and believe it to be accurate without clicking the link, which in turn you hope will sway others to believe that teachers claims are spurious and unfounded.

There are a number of teachers who post here that all say the same thing about working during holidays, making lesson plans (not just for one lesson but several in advance), marking (particularly secondary school teachers for GCSE's and mock exams) etc.

Are you saying they are all being disingenuous?

I don't know what you do as a job but I doubt you have to spend much, if any time, planning a months work in advance.

No.

Between 55 and 59 hours for teachers. 63 is for head masters, who aren't teachers. Add a dose of reality taking into account that this is self reported and teachers have an incentive to embellish their actual hours somewhat and it's clear they're not all working the ridiculous hours many claim. Even if we take the report on face value it shows that teachers arent working as much as they claim.

Archived