Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Should we have a 4 day week?

Horrible idea. I'm not sure how firms like mine would cope particularly when we're so busy there aren't enough hours in a 5 day week

Employ more people? Or are you short in skilled labour in that area (genuine question - I don't know where you work).

Employ more people? Or are you short in skilled labour in that area (genuine question - I don't know where you work).

I think he's a sparky. It's not neccesserily a question of are you short in skilled labour in that area, what about small companies that can only afford to employ 2 or 3 (If that) people? It's not as simple as throwing money at it and employing more people in some cases. I'm sure small companies would love to employ more people but they just can't.

Which I hazard may be the case with him, not sure though.

I think he's a sparky. It's not neccesserily a question of are you short in skilled labour in that area, what about small companies that can only afford to employ 2 or 3 (If that) people? It's not as simple as throwing money at it and employing more people in some cases. I'm sure small companies would love to employ more people but they just can't.

He's a plumber, my step dad has his own small business and a 4 day week would cripple his business.

There are too many plumbers around Coalville. But our firm doesn't like employing people lol (to then have to possibly lay them off in the future etc) There are 15 on our firm at the moment which requires them to find a phenomenal amount of work

I wouldn't want more people on the firm sharing out less work. That means your wage takes a hit. Ledss money, plus an extra day off work spending said less money is a recipie for disaster in my book.

I can and have worked around 70 hours a week some weeks since January. I'm earning decent money for my age when that happens. Why would I want someone else to take a slice?

I can just about change a fuse lol

There are too many plumbers around Coalville. But our firm doesn't like employing people lol (to then have to possibly lay them off in the future etc) There are 15 on our firm at the moment which requires them to find a phenomenal amount of work

I wouldn't want more people on the firm sharing out less work. That means your wage takes a hit. Ledss money, plus an extra day off work spending said less money is a recipie for disaster in my book.

I can and have worked around 70 hours a week some weeks since January. I'm earning decent money for my age when that happens. Why would I want someone else to take a slice?

lol I knew you were in a trade, Bert's a sparky isn't he? Think that's what I was thinking. (Or have I got that wrong too lol)

If you have been doing that amount of hours then I take my hat off to you mate. I know personally that I couldn't cope with that regardless of the money being offered. 

Would like the option. I reckon I'd have wednesday off every week. Imagine only ever being two days away from a day off. I do think it would increase my productivity but probably only temporarily.

Exactly what my Mum does and says she has Wednesday off for the exact reason.

I have Friday off but that's only a temporary thing.

Two days off in a row would be nice in my job for a start, never mind actually being paid more for bank holidays and/or weekends. Everyone I served at work today couldn't believe we didn't get extra pay on bank holidays, when it was spoke about, by them, not myself. Regularly do over the new maximum allowed hours that's just been enforced in my workplace, at least it pays the bills, kind of.

If you have been doing that amount of hours then I take my hat off to you mate. I know personally that I couldn't cope with that regardless of the money being offered.

It nearly finished the both of us off lol but I needed the money and the jobs had to be done- no others on our firm will travel/work away from home

If were talking about a typical 5 day week company there's no way they would want their investment, offices and equipment lying idle for an extra day. Of course they could employ more people to fill the gap by introducing shift.

/flexible work hours but that would also mean employing more supervisory staff.

Their employment costs would rise dramatically so the only way it could possible work is if employee costs, pensions, ni contributions etc were slashed to compensate.

This could be paid for by there being more people employed and paying taxes although I'm not convinced there's enough unemployed with the right skills or abilities.

If were talking about a typical 5 day week company there's no way they would want their investment, offices and equipment lying idle for an extra day. Of course they could employ more people to fill the gap by introducing shift.

/flexible work hours but that would also mean employing more supervisory staff.

Their employment costs would rise dramatically so the only way it could possible work is if employee costs, pensions, ni contributions etc were slashed to compensate.

This could be paid for by there being more people employed and paying taxes although I'm not convinced there's enough unemployed with the right skills or abilities.

I think the idea is that employees work the same amount of hours but in less days. Eg 4x10 hour shifts rather than 5x8. So in theory productivity wouldn't be affected from a time point of view.

I think the idea is that employees work the same amount of hours but in less days. Eg 4x10 hour shifts rather than 5x8. So in theory productivity wouldn't be affected from a time point of view.

Yes I understand that but that still means they'll be premises and possible expensive equipment lying idle for a day and from my experience I can't see management looking at that without thinking we need to utilise it as we can then get a better return from it.

It wouldn't be anymore idle over the week than before?

With a 5 day week of 8 hours a day, it lies idle for 16 hours a day for 5 days, and 24 hours a day for 2 days = 128

With a 4 day week of 10 hours a day, it lies idle for 14 hours a day for 4 days, and 24 hours a day for 3 days = 128

Went from a job working 60 hours a week over 7 days, sometimes only having 1 day off to working Monday to Friday 9-5. 

The day I walked out on my job I was down to work 67 hours over 6 days. I walked out 6 hours into a 13 hour shift on the Monday lol 

Get paid less money but am so much happier than I was. Wasn't worth the extra money. I would ****ing kill to work 4 days a week though! But only for the same money as 5.....

I've never been in that position but I don't intend to be. I know some people do it but the thought of a 60 hour week, even for the extra money, just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. It would be seriously depressing.

I've been doing about 60-70 hrs a week for about 2-3 months now, it is beyond shit. Just no life at all, I feel like I live at work! 9-5 job does make sense, especially if you can switch off in the evenings and weekends

Archived