Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Nigel Pearson - LMA Championship Manager of the Year

Firstly can I be your bookmaker. :D All odds can be translated into a percentage that notionally describes the probability of that event occurring to that team/person/horse. I have just seen a list of odds for Sherwood's replacement. The 6th favourite is at 33/1 or 3%. Do you think that the 6th favourite is likely to be Sherwood's replacement? So was it with Burnley at the beginning of the season. :D

All odds can be translated into how much the bookies stand to win and lose or in other words how much money punters are putting on.

All odds can be translated into how much the bookies stand to win and lose or in other words how much money punters are putting on.

Quite but the odds in themselves are not as important as the fact all the odds for the book are over 100 % thus ensuring a notional profit. It is not as simple as that but if the bookmaker frames his/her book like that for every race then holidays in the Bahamas can be guaranteed. ;)

I personally think Dyche has done a tremendous job this season, but has he done anything that different than Pearson? They both had a talented, tight knit squad, that kicked on from last year and hadn't made many additions - Mahrez and a few freebies for us and Barnes and a few freebies for them. We have a larger budget than Burnley, but in trying to meet FFP, we haven't really utilised it. In terms of manager of the year - these were the only two realistic candidates and either would have been worthy winners. If Dyche had shaded it, that would have been fair enough.

However, although I admire the job Dyche has done, I think his attitude absolutely stinks, and it's one that seems to have rubbed off on the Burnley supporters if recent remarks are anything to go by.

He is an appalling loser, and some of the comments he makes after a loss come across as disrespectful and bitter. His 'pound notes' remark, his 'celebrating like it's a cup final' remark - it all just stinks of a lack of class. He's always got an excuse ready and waiting to pull out, rather than just holding his hands up and saying 'we weren't good enough'. Even when Burnley won, he'd come across as a bad winner, with his 'we're top of the league because we're the best team in the league' remarks.

This is what sets Pearson and Dyche apart - Pearson doesn't make excuses, Pearson shows respect to other teams and managers and Pearson doesn't gloat when his side wins.

So when it comes to the LMA Manager of the Year Award - an award where your managerial peers pick the winner - and there are two candidates who have done very similar jobs over the course of the season, who are the other managers going to vote for? The man who showed dignity in defeat and class in victory, or the man who's always got an excuse, the man who gloats, the man who comes across as bitter? I know which one I'd vote for.

One thing's for sure - Dyche is going to need to learn some humility next season, or he might find he's not as popular as he thinks.

Though I imagine that he'll still be coming out with the same old lines and excuses every time his team is beaten - 'Man City are the market leaders' 'That Spurs side has been assembled with many, many pound notes'.

Pathetic. 

yeah 

One thing's for sure - Dyche is going to need to learn some humility next season, or he might find he's not as popular as he thinks.

Though I imagine that he'll still be coming out with the same old lines and excuses every time his team is beaten - 'Man City are the market leaders' 'That Spurs side has been assembled with many, many pound notes'.

Pathetic. 

yeah get ready for plenty of that in MOTD post match interviews with Dyche.

He'll be gone by Christmas anyway I bet...

Anyway award or no bloody award he still smells of baked beans

They weren't odds-on to be relegated, they weren't in the bookies top three picks for sides who could get relegated, so I'd hardly describe them to be 'favourites' for relegation.

And also - since when did bookies odds mean ****ing anything? Pearson was odds-on to be the first manager sacked this season. What odds would you have gotten on us winning the league? What odds would you have gotten on QPR making the playoffs? What odds would you have gotten on Liverpool finishing second and Man United failing to make the top four? 

Odds tell you next to nothing about how a team will perform across the course of the season, especially in a league like the Championship, where anyone can beat anyone on their day.  

Neither would I. I would describe them as "one of the favourites" for relegation. As indeed, I already did do.

Firstly can I be your bookmaker. :D All odds can be translated into a percentage that notionally describes the probability of that event occurring to that team/person/horse. I have just seen a list of odds for Sherwood's replacement. The 6th favourite is at 33/1 or 3%. Do you think that the 6th favourite is likely to be Sherwood's replacement? So was it with Burnley at the beginning of the season. :D

Well, since your analogy with three relegated teams only works if Tottenham appoint THREE new managers, then no you can't.

I personally think Dyche has done a tremendous job this season, but has he done anything that different than Pearson? They both had a talented, tight knit squad, that kicked on from last year and hadn't made many additions - Mahrez and a few freebies for us and Barnes and a few freebies for them. We have a larger budget than Burnley, but in trying to meet FFP, we haven't really utilised it. In terms of manager of the year - these were the only two realistic candidates and either would have been worthy winners. If Dyche had shaded it, that would have been fair enough.

However, although I admire the job Dyche has done, I think his attitude absolutely stinks, and it's one that seems to have rubbed off on the Burnley supporters if recent remarks are anything to go by.

He is an appalling loser, and some of the comments he makes after a loss come across as disrespectful and bitter. His 'pound notes' remark, his 'celebrating like it's a cup final' remark - it all just stinks of a lack of class. He's always got an excuse ready and waiting to pull out, rather than just holding his hands up and saying 'we weren't good enough'. Even when Burnley won, he'd come across as a bad winner, with his 'we're top of the league because we're the best team in the league' remarks.

This is what sets Pearson and Dyche apart - Pearson doesn't make excuses, Pearson shows respect to other teams and managers and Pearson doesn't gloat when his side wins.

So when it comes to the LMA Manager of the Year Award - an award where your managerial peers pick the winner - and there are two candidates who have done very similar jobs over the course of the season, who are the other managers going to vote for? The man who showed dignity in defeat and class in victory, or the man who's always got an excuse, the man who gloats, the man who comes across as bitter? I know which one I'd vote for.

Absolutely spot on.

Neither would I. I would describe them as "one of the favourites" for relegation. As indeed, I already did do.

I wouldn't have described them as one of the favourites for relegation either, and neither has anyone else. This delusion seems only to exist in the minds of a few bitter Burnley fans and yourself.

Burnley finished 11th last season - I suppose that means Forest are 'one of the favourites' for relegation next season then, according to you? 

For Burnley to go from 11th to at least 22nd you would've had to have done a seriously shit job.

Burnley were probably mid-table fodder that Dyche has improved massively. I have no problem praising the job he's done, just fed up of the endless digs or pleading poverty.

As rich says, this was voted for by the managers and Pearson seems very popular with most in the division.

I wouldn't have described them as one of the favourites for relegation either, and neither has anyone else. This delusion seems only to exist in the minds of a few bitter Burnley fans and yourself.

Burnley finished 11th last season - I suppose that means Forest are 'one of the favourites' for relegation next season then, according to you? 

Pre-season odds, Yeovil 10/11, Doncaster 6/4, Barnsley 5/2, Blackpool 3/1, Huddersfield 3/1, Millwall 5/2, Burnley 9/2, Sheffield Wednesday 11/2.

I don't think bookies' odds are based purely on how well the team that finished 11th got on the year before.  They have a more subtle analysis than that - some of them, I dare say, even take relative financial strength into account.  And while we all know by now that Leicester were among the poorer teams in the league, and certainly little better off than Burnley, Burnley did have significantly less financial clout than some of the other teams.

Well done Nige, fully deserved. Don't want to even think where we would be now without him! Dyche has had a good season and fair play to him, but it's all well and good saying he hasn't had any money to spend. Buying good players is the most important thing about being a manager! Dyche inherited a good squad, but Nige had to knock down, rebuild, save money and gain promotion! I can't praise Person enough, he really is a top notch manager and his fellow managers can see what a fantastic job he has done. My second choice for the award wouldn't be Dyche anyway, I would give it to McClaren. If he was Derby's manager for the whole season, they would have finished above Burnley in second.

Pre-season odds, Yeovil 10/11, Doncaster 6/4, Barnsley 5/2, Blackpool 3/1, Huddersfield 3/1, Millwall 5/2, Burnley 9/2, Sheffield Wednesday 11/2.

I don't think bookies' odds are based purely on how well the team that finished 11th got on the year before.  They have a more subtle analysis than that - some of them, I dare say, even take relative financial strength into account.  And while we all know by now that Leicester were among the poorer teams in the league, and certainly little better off than Burnley, Burnley did have significantly less financial clout than some of the other teams.

so you were 7th favourite to go down. so the bookies thought you'd finish midtable. so you weren't ever favourites to go down. 

pretty sure pearson was favourite to get the sack though. he won the league with 102 points. 

I don't think bookies' odds are based purely on how well the team that finished 11th got on the year before. They have a more subtle analysis than that - some of them, I dare say, even take relative financial strength into account. And while we all know by now that Leicester were among the poorer teams in the league, and certainly little better off than Burnley, Burnley did have significantly less financial clout than some of the other teams.

As I said earlier in this thread - odds mean very little, especially in the Championship where you're attempting to predict a league that is completely unpredictable. For example, Pearson was odds-on to be the first manager dismissed this season. Bookies odds are based on what they think will make them the most money, they're not in any way reflective of what will happen over the course of a season. I doubt any real football fans would have had Burnley down for relegation, in the same way as no one will expect Forest - who finished 11th - to get relegated next season.

That is definitely what I would think.

Unfortunately, according to me, it means that Forest will definitely finish second next season and be promoted.

Skybet should have consulted you about Burnley's odds for relegation last season. You'd have put them right.

That is definitely what I would think.

Unfortunately, according to me, it means that Forest will definitely finish second next season and be promoted.

Skybet should have consulted you about Burnley's odds for relegation last season. You'd have put them right.

What an obtuse and sarcastic reply. I'll make my point again as it seems to have gone well over your head; bookies odds mean nothing. Just because the bookies give odds on a team getting relegated, it doesn't make them favourites for relegation, just as making a team favourites for promotion won't mean they'll finish champions.

I used the Forest comparison to

Illustrate their similar finish this season to Burnley's last season - they're no more likely to go down than Burnley were this season.

If you want to argue further about the minutiae surrounding bookmakers odds in football, I suggest you find a gambling forum or head to your local bookies as this is the last you'll hear from me on the matter.

I think this is probably the main reason why the LMA didn't give him the award. I was posting on the Derby fans forum recently, contrasting the Ginger Mourinho's comments with those made by Steve McClaren after we tonked Derby in December: McClaren held his hands up, said we were the better team and how he'd use the match to make improvements. Which he did.

Dyche did brilliantly for Burnley this season, but (as someone else has said) he's starting to sound more and more like Phil Brown did when he took Dull up to the Prem.

Archived