Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Puter boots up all perfectly without an issue, will run a programme fine. For instance vlc and I can watch a film no drama. Other than when I try and exit the programme the computer has frozen. Can't run anything else or alt ctl delete or anything. The mouse pointer works but clicking icons doesn't will not load programmes. Any ideas lads?

Cheers

Could be any number of thing. Hard drive could be failing.

Does it crash if you run simple programs? What about Office? If it's just videos it could be graphics card

What I'd do asuming youre on windows

Get CCleaner and, anti malwarebytes > Open ccleaner, go to tools and uninstall anything suspect > Run threat scan on anti malwarebytes

Should prolly run in safe mode, I can get you a premium code for anti mal for nowt if want too

What I'd do asuming youre on windows

Get CCleaner and, anti malwarebytes > Open ccleaner, go to tools and uninstall anything suspect > Run threat scan on anti malwarebytes

Should prolly run in safe mode, I can get you a premium code for anti mal for nowt if want too

I would appreciate that mate

Help! My laptop screen has packed in and I want to put some things on disc and print a couple of things off. I have an old monitor and have connected it with a RGB cable but the monitor is only showing 'no sync' message. Is there any way I can get it to sync? My laptop hasn't got hdmi so can't connect it to my tv,

I'm a complete tech numpty so be gentle!

Edited by broughtonblue

Help! My laptop screen has packed in and I want to put some things on disc and print a couple of things off. I have an old monitor and have connected it with a RGB cable but the monitor is only showing 'no sync' message. Is there any way I can get it to sync? My laptop hasn't got hdmi so can't connect it to my tv,

I'm a complete tech numpty so be gentle!

One of the Function + F keys will be to change output from the screen to the external monitor / adapter. Just work out which one it is and press it

How easy is it to add more memory to a laptop (does more memory make it run faster?)

If you have any RAM slots left then it is fairly easy; unscrew the relevant back panel and just slot it in.

Some are more awkward and the extra slots are actually under the keyboard, on the other side, so that is more awkward.

It enables you to run more programs simultaneously at once so yes it does make it run faster.

Wiping a tablet clean.

I know there issues with wiping clean a pc but is it the same with a tablet. If I restore to factory settings will it wipe out all my personal data like passwords etc?

If not how do I 'clean' a tablet?

Anyone had an SSD go completely dead on them in an instant? Last night mine stopped working, internet stopped, game and browser became unresponsive, moments later windows also unresponsive. I powered off and back on again and the SSD wasn't detected.

Had a play in BIOS and still nothing, changed all the power/sata cables and ports and also tried it on my mates PC and nothing. Pretty sure it's dead but any suggestions? Any chance of data recovery?

Anyone had an SSD go completely dead on them in an instant? Last night mine stopped working, internet stopped, game and browser became unresponsive, moments later windows also unresponsive. I powered off and back on again and the SSD wasn't detected.

Had a play in BIOS and still nothing, changed all the power/sata cables and ports and also tried it on my mates PC and nothing. Pretty sure it's dead but any suggestions? Any chance of data recovery?

54719636.jpg

See if you can get a disc with Seatools on, try to boot your machine to CD and see if Seatools recognises the HDD

However with it being SSD there isn't the spinning disc mechanism that reads the data so recovery is much more complex, difficult and expensive

See if you can get a disc with Seatools on, try to boot your machine to CD and see if Seatools recognises the HDD

However with it being SSD there isn't the spinning disc mechanism that reads the data so recovery is much more complex, difficult and expensive

So I've heard, I've gone and ordered a new 256gb one now anyway. 50gb was a bit on the small side.

• 4 weeks later...

My hard drive (laptop) is in the process of failing - few error messages, current unallocated pending sector count of 5540. I'm looking for a new one, does anyone have any experiences with Solid State Hybrid Drives: how durable are they and are they worth it?

I tend to use the laptop for NMR processing, chemical modelling and the basic office programs and internet browsing.

My hard drive (laptop) is in the process of failing - few error messages, current unallocated pending sector count of 5540. I'm looking for a new one, does anyone have any experiences with Solid State Hybrid Drives: how durable are they and are they worth it?

I tend to use the laptop for NMR processing, chemical modelling and the basic office programs and internet browsing.

I've not used SSHD before but it just looks like a cheaper version of SSD?

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/solutions/solid-state-hybrid/

This review from PC World (:sick:) recommends which drive is suitable based on what your use is.

I don't know what NMR processing and chemical modelling is but if it continuously generates new data then that review suggests that you won't see the performance of SSD if you use SSHD

Edited by DB11