Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Just had a new laptop battery delivered.

I charged it in 2 hours ago, but no power in laptop.

Any idea? Thanks.

Need to know more really

Did the laptops previous battery have the same problem and can you turn the laptop on with just the charger in?

Its unlikely to be the new battery but thats easier to solve w/a return, if not your laptops got the problem

Need to know more really

Did the laptops previous battery have the same problem and can you turn the laptop on with just the charger in?

Its unlikely to be the new battery but thats easier to solve w/a return, if not your laptops got the problem

My laptop gave me a warning saying that my old battery level is very low - despite having it on charge when using it. Then one day said battery was at 'critical' level. Edited by Wymeswold fox

My laptop gave me a warning saying that my old battery level is very low - despite having it on charge when using it. Then one day said battery was at 'critical' level.

Yeah so you've replaced that old battery with the one you mentioned in your first post, which is also not keeping charge. You need to establish if its the laptop or this new battery you've got is dead on arrival.

Unless you know how to check the battery packs with a multimeter to see if they work I'd say get them to someone who knows what theyre doing to have a look and if the new ones dead send it back. If the batteries are fine its probably the laptop itself and then I wouldnt really know what to say.

• Like 1

I googled about new laptop battery and one website stated to charge it for 'no less than 24' hours...

I'll leave it until around lunchtime tomorrow. If still not working, will consult someone at a decent laptop shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help?

Our Dell desktop is probably 6 or 7 years old. Doesn't get that much use, my wife uses it for some paperwork at clubs she's involved in.

Last night I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Left it running overnight as it was a slow update.

Came down this morning restarted the PC and went through the Windows 7 start up and log in and got to what I believe is commonly known as the Black Wall of Death with the arrow visible but nothing else.

I had a quick look on my phone and tried a couple of things with no success, A safe start was suggested, someone suggested holding shift and restart on login screen but that achieved nothing. Something to do with a video driver.

Any ideas?

22 minutes ago, Livid said:

Can anyone help?

Our Dell desktop is probably 6 or 7 years old. Doesn't get that much use, my wife uses it for some paperwork at clubs she's involved in.

Last night I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Left it running overnight as it was a slow update.

Came down this morning restarted the PC and went through the Windows 7 start up and log in and got to what I believe is commonly known as the Black Wall of Death with the arrow visible but nothing else.

I had a quick look on my phone and tried a couple of things with no success, A safe start was suggested, someone suggested holding shift and restart on login screen but that achieved nothing. Something to do with a video driver.

Any ideas?

6 or 7 years is old for computers, maybe time for an upgrade :dunno:

8 hours ago, Livid said:

Can anyone help?

Any ideas?

F8 when it's booting and either, safe mode, last working config, or a system restore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, red5 said:

F8 when it's booting and either, safe mode, last working config, or a system restore.

Got in to safe mode and took it back to Windows 7 in the end. Won't be trying that again!!

• 1 month later...

lol

Cheers for the last bit but don't take that seriously, its a simple shock message with a sentence to keep you on the hook and another to get you to do what they want in downloading their sh**. That message itself is behaving like a virus if its able to give you a notification, I'd be more concerned about that. Use your trusted anti-virus and see what comes up, if its still popping up its probably tied in with an app from a compromised source or quality, you'll have to figure out which one it is and remove it or worst case a factory reset.

Got my laptop connected to TV via HDMI. When i go back to the hdmi setting after watching tv it is not showing on screen. The comp does not go to sleep or hibernate. I used to connect via vga and no worries.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by ozleicester

Trying to convert Leicester highlights I've got on tape onto my laptop. I've got some software and can get the sound on my laptop, but there seems to be no video output on my video player. Shouldn't all VCRs have a video output to put the cable into?

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Trying to convert Leicester highlights I've got on tape onto my laptop. I've got some software and can get the sound on my laptop, but there seems to be no video output on my video player. Shouldn't all VCRs have a video output to put the cable into?

This isn't going to help one bit but what cable and software are you using because I've got a few VCRs I could do with transferring onto my hard drive?

50 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

This isn't going to help one bit but what cable and software are you using because I've got a few VCRs I could do with transferring onto my hard drive?

https://www.amazon.com/VIDBOX-VHS-DVD-8-0-Deluxe/product-reviews/B00ND0E7BW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=2

All the cables come in the box. Seems simple enough in theory but not functioning at the moment. Not sure if my video player is to blame or the software/hardware.

I've tried using my old tv which has an inbuilt video player and a video output socket, but still no luck with the picture.

Edited by Kitchandro

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2016 at 22:18, ramboacdc said:

Anyone good with managing domains? Bought the Mrs some domains to forward to her younique site through godaddy and the sites now just open to a white page. Anyone know what to do?

Yes. I'll PM you buddy so it's not seen as self advertisement.

My PC has started randomly swapping numbers around i.e. I type in 46 and it comes out 64. It's just totally random and only happens occasionally.

I'm not making inputting errors as I've been looking out for it and am sure that I haven't made a mistake when it happens.

I've changed my keyboard and put new batteries in.

Any ideas anyone please?

Replace the memory maybe?

7 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Fox said:

My PC has started randomly swapping numbers around i.e. I type in 46 and it comes out 64. It's just totally random and only happens occasionally.

I'm not making inputting errors as I've been looking out for it and am sure that I haven't made a mistake when it happens.

Any ideas anyone please?

I'd go see my doctor if I was you.:)

Can only be the keyboard, very rare and highly unlikely the motherboard, virus but never heard of one doing that, memory has nothing to do with it. you could check the region/language but as it's occasional I can't see it being that.

1 hour ago, Isle of Wight Fox said:

Any ideas anyone please?

I had a similar problem with a wireless keyboard but was swapping letters not numbers. Try a hardwired USB keyboard and should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2016 at 12:43, ozleicester said:

Just got the Win 10 anniversary update and now my two finger scroll fails "occasionally" but only when using chrome. If i close and restart it works again.

I have updated chrome.

Any ideas appreciated

Try reinstalling/updating drivers for touchpad.