Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Guest LCFC_World

My internet weren't working on my laptop and I accidentally uninstalled the network adapter that lets me connect to wifi, it's now 10x worse!! Any solutions? Literally tried everything!! Thanks.

My internet weren't working on my laptop and I accidentally uninstalled the network adapter that lets me connect to wifi, it's now 10x worse!! Any solutions? Literally tried everything!! Thanks.

Download the drivers from another computer and install them from a USB stick.

Guest LCFC_World

Download the drivers from another computer and install them from a USB stick.

I have tried that, (well I plugged a cable in to the laptop and installed them of the Internet) but after I've installed them I have no idea what to do, it's just random folders that make no sense to me..:(

I have tried that, (well I plugged a cable in to the laptop and installed them of the Internet) but after I've installed them I have no idea what to do, it's just random folders that make no sense to me.. :(

While the ethernet cable is plugged in, hit windows+x and click 'Device Manager', does the wireless adapter show up under network devices? If you right click it and click properties there should be a driver tab that has all the options for reinstalling the correct ones.

Mother proof laptop?

Would appreciate a bit of guidance on suggesting a new laptop for my mother. key features / uses I can highlight;

* it needs to be dead easy to use. No funny messages popping up and the like, just straight '****ing' forward.

* it's mainly going to be used for very amateur style word processing, with some web consumption

* she's not used Windows word processing programmes much before. It's always been other budget software that my dad had picked out.

* she's got an android phone (yet that seems hard enough for her at times!)

* her current laptop / desktop are older HP ones, the latest carrying Windows 7

* budgets not really an issue, it's the functionality that is key

Now I'm sure this will get a grown from a few, but I was wondering about a MacBook of some kind, because I imagine it will just work, out of the box, with very little hassle / fuss.

Ok it may be more restrictive than other brand laptops and over priced, but it will look nice (helps gain mother buy-in) and I imagine she will just get on with it.

But am I wrong on that front? Are there some decent other brand laptops that could rival a MacBook on easy of use / minimal fuss / longevity basis? Any guidance offered would be much appreciated.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

• 3 weeks later...

Mother proof laptop?

Would appreciate a bit of guidance on suggesting a new laptop for my mother. key features / uses I can highlight;

* it needs to be dead easy to use. No funny messages popping up and the like, just straight '****ing' forward.

* it's mainly going to be used for very amateur style word processing, with some web consumption

* she's not used Windows word processing programmes much before. It's always been other budget software that my dad had picked out.

* she's got an android phone (yet that seems hard enough for her at times!)

* her current laptop / desktop are older HP ones, the latest carrying Windows 7

* budgets not really an issue, it's the functionality that is key

Now I'm sure this will get a grown from a few, but I was wondering about a MacBook of some kind, because I imagine it will just work, out of the box, with very little hassle / fuss.

Ok it may be more restrictive than other brand laptops and over priced, but it will look nice (helps gain mother buy-in) and I imagine she will just get on with it.

But am I wrong on that front? Are there some decent other brand laptops that could rival a MacBook on easy of use / minimal fuss / longevity basis? Any guidance offered would be much appreciated.

I got my girlfriend a Chromebook for similar sounding use. She loves it but it is a bit different to windows devices in terms of the UI etc if that's what she's used to.

3x cheaper than a MacBook as well.

Lenovo have always been good to me and my family, infact my daily user for uni work and YouTube/Netflix is over 5 years old

There is the argument of Macs being accessible and easy to use, as a 2nd year computer science i.t nerd I have to disagree, whilst mine is an absolute dream and looks great I think it is very awkward to use and certainly not easy

• 2 weeks later...

Problem.

My laptop has finally installed Windows 10 (and ended up losing me one of the best games I've ever had of FM in the process, surprise surprise) but since getting it, I cannot scroll up and down using the touchpad.

I've checked the settings and scroll lock isn't activated, everything on my settings point to the scroll working.

My laptop is a Toshiba C850 - 173.

I've downloaded another pointer but haven't got a clue how to apply it.

I had a driver update on Sunday night thats caused alot of different problems for people - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4054

Basically it black screened my PC on a standard driver update which is usually fine to do and routine once a month, after that I had to system restore to a date last month and that has now seemingly knocked several things off kilter. To begin with I had a process in task manager going loopy called Service Host something, drawing up +50megs of disk memory - thats calmed down after it being turned off and it updating itself. What I'm left with though now is an irritating pop up coming from the task tray thats flashing up infrequently every few seconds so fast I cant read all of what it says, I think its to do with virus protection being out of date (which it isnt because I can open up my virus programmes and use with no issues).

Its a decent tower I paid good wack for, Win8 plenty of memory and RAM, decent mobo ect; first problem Ive had. Anyone know how to stop this pop-up and if Ive got to look out for any other problems?

Edited by SpazticChicken

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my letters on keyboard, for some reason, aren't working - the 'i' and 'c' (had to copy and paste letters from elsewhere).

Anyone else had this problem?

Is it a laptop keyboard?

Have you tried another keyboard?

My laptop driver,  think iis anyway, makes a funny (grinding-type sound when the fan works (area below screen, hence not at front of laptop) noise - which has only just become apparent.

What does this mean? As thinking of contacting a repair place. Thanks.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

• 1 month later...

My laptop driver,  think iis anyway, makes a funny (grinding-type sound when the fan works (area below screen, hence not at front of laptop) noise - which has only just become apparent.

What does this mean? As thinking of contacting a repair place. Thanks.

Sounds more like the graphics card is struggling to run whatever you're doing?

Can you give me more information? What are you doing prior to this sound happening?

• 3 weeks later...

So I have got a blank laptop from work, which is nice as I needed a new one, but it has no OS on it.

What is the best way to get an OS installed?

Put the disc in and boot from disc then follow the prompts

I have no disc

You need a disc, or at least a bootable USB. You'll also need a product key.

You can buy these either online or from a high street retailer (either computer shop or PC World etc). Or borrow a mate's disc (if you have your own product key) or obtain the ISO and make your own disc

You need a disc, or at least a bootable USB. You'll also need a product key.

You can buy these either online or from a high street retailer (either computer shop or PC World etc). Or borrow a mate's disc (if you have your own product key) or obtain the ISO and make your own disc

Cheers, is a bootable USB common, or are most USBs the non bootable kind?

I have a copy of windows 7 on my old laptop, can I re-use the product key?  Invalidate the old laptop?

Thanks for this I have tried googling, but I can never quite get the answer I want...

Cheers, is a bootable USB common, or are most USBs the non bootable kind?

I have a copy of windows 7 on my old laptop, can I re-use the product key?  Invalidate the old laptop?

Thanks for this I have tried googling, but I can never quite get the answer I want...

Most USBs are data ones ie. you plug it in and access the data you want. Any USB can become a bootable one but you'd have to format it and get rid of all of the data on it and just hold the ISO you want to boot (not the ISO itself but its contents when extracted) there's tutorials for that online

Yeah you can reuse product keys as long as it is a product key and not an OEM

• Like 1

Most USBs are data ones ie. you plug it in and access the data you want. Any USB can become a bootable one but you'd have to format it and get rid of all of the data on it and just hold the ISO you want to boot (not the ISO itself but its contents when extracted) there's tutorials for that online

Yeah you can reuse product keys as long as it is a product key and not an OEM

Arse hat looks like it is OEM, any safe links to where I might acquire a product key for windows 7 if I wanted to borrow it for a short time...