Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Who did it? Why didn't you ask me, would propably been cheaper.

You didn't tell me you could do it, haha. you told me £45 would be cheap depending on where I went.

Went to this place on Fosse road south near Spar and the Merry Monarch. Paid another £10 to get the fan cleaned of dust whilst they were at it too.

I've never understood this, why? Is a lot of software only available on a Mac? Can't you just buy a normal, cheaper PC and install the Mac OS on it?

You can in theory create a "Hackintosh" but by the time you buy the software you might not save much.  No idea why they are better for desing work, but I don know that my family members who are Architects have several each and more at work!

You didn't tell me you could do it, haha. you told me £45 would be cheap depending on where I went.

Went to this place on Fosse road south near Spar and the Merry Monarch. Paid another £10 to get the fan cleaned of dust whilst they were at it too.

I clean the fan out foc while I'm at it.

If you are serious about graphic design you will need a mac, an air with student discount is about £650?

Air isn't big enough and I need a laptop that will last at least for the next 3 years. Gone with the HP Envy dv7 Notebook PC 17.3" screen Win 8. It's surprisingly amazing. Downloaded Adobe software and iTunes and so forth and I have got no problems with it. Yeah, a Mac would have been ideal but at the end of the day, I couldn't afford to cuff up a grand and a half for one. Besides, I'll be moving in to DMU this year (from Wigston :P) and the library is 24/7 and only a brisk walk away from my flat so there's always Macs around me as well as the building I'll be working in. Life's good  :thumbup:

And the Mac discounts we'rent very significant. still well over £1,000,

My daughter's got an android tablet and we've got a couple of kindle fires, do we need to download any virus protection?

Not sure about the Kindles (but probably).. but AVG do a good free Android antivirus, if you are getting apps, especially other than from the play store.. id say its essential.  I pretty much treat my tablet like my comp and have the same tools (ccleaner, AVG etc) on it.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering about power issues and whether components "stack" (ie, cpu uses 300w, hdd uses 60w, dvdrom uses 50w, GFX card uses 300w = 710w) or whether they run alongside each other (ie, you have a 700w PSU so as long as no single as no single component is above 700w, then you're OK.)

I recently fitted a newer (but still quite dated) GFX card when my old card died and practically anytime I play any graphically intense game, about 15-20 mins in the PC will POOF! and shutdown. When I touch the top of the tower (where the PSU is) it is red hot. I've had the side off - there's plenty of airflow, I've cleaned the heatsink out and the CPU fan (which weren't too bad anyway), but I'm thinking that the CPU cooling isn't the problem (though I checked the bios when I was able to restart and it was running hot, between 58-63%) as I can't see as that would make the top of the tower hot (its a good foot away for starters.)

I've noticed that my PSU is 420w and it used to run my old 8500GT fine, but the GT210 I bought (as a stop gap) is rated at 300w, so I'm thinking it could use a considerable chunk of my power and be doing the damage.

Basically, would I need to upgrade my PSU or is the problem the heatsink? I'm thinking of getting a newer, better machine in the near future anyway, but when I do, I might pay more attention to PSUs fitted and adding GFX cards, depending on the info given here.

• 1 month later...

I'm having some issues disconnecting devices from the USB port these days.

Most recently, I've been plugging in my external hard drive to back up my files, but then when I  try to remove it, it says it's still in use and cannot be disconnected. All my file explorer windows are closed and I can safely say no programs are open that relate to the device, except obviously some hidden ones.

Now, I think  the other day the internet was interfering for some reason because after I closed firefox it was able to disconnect. But sometimes in the middle of things and I don't want to have to do that every time.

I've also downloaded Unlocker, it's bullshit. It doesn't detect any 'handles'.

On my last laptop (which was Windows 7, now using 8), I was having the same problem with disconnecting my Ipod.

So anyway, does anyone know of a quickish and consistent way of getting the device to disconnect safely?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a good bargain wired router (or modem, not sure what they're actually called) with three or four holes for adding different devices to?

We want something that has no wireless and can handle a pc and two ps3's or xbox's at the same time with cables. My wireless is messed up and I want rid.

£60 is about my limit.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter's  (cheap) android tablet is stuck on the loading screen, ie the word android just keeps lighting up in the middle of the screen. Is there any way to reset it? It has an on/off button and a mini memory card slot and that's about it.

My daughter's  (cheap) android tablet is stuck on the loading screen, ie the word android just keeps lighting up in the middle of the screen. Is there any way to reset it? It has an on/off button and a mini memory card slot and that's about it.

Are there two buttons you can hold down together for a period of time?

• Like 1

I've got the little robot lying on his back with his chest open and a red triangle above but I can't make anything happen.

I don't know the specific model of the tablet and Android hardware can vary but this may help if it has a volume rocker switch.

http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-wifi-tablet-help/19142-green-android-lying-down-red-triangle-exclamation-point-inside.html#post251493

Note that this will wipe the device, but a blank device is better than no device.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop is getting pretty sluggish. It's running Windows 7, is four years old and I've tried to be careful about not installing crap on it.

I reckon my best bet might have to be a complete reinstallation of Windows and formatting of the HDD.

Is this a good move or is there something else I should be trying first? Obviously it's virus free and I keep track of running processes etc. I'm convinced it's Windows' file system that's crippling it.

Is a reformat easy to do?