Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

You are just too clever for your own good! Fvck knows how I missed that (easy, I know - the fact that it is marked "audio" completely fooled me) but thanks so much for pointing it out. Brilliant!

Thanks a lot.

No problem :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI folks,

Small problem, in the past 2 weeks my sound/video playing on the lappy has started playing up.

when i clck on anything video (youtube/streaming etc) it starts.. freezes and pauses for around 1 minute, then it finally starts and runs fine, but that first pause/freeze is a pain.

any ideas or suggestions much welcomed, thanks in advance.

HI folks,

Small problem, in the past 2 weeks my sound/video playing on the lappy has started playing up.

when i clck on anything video (youtube/streaming etc) it starts.. freezes and pauses for around 1 minute, then it finally starts and runs fine, but that first pause/freeze is a pain.

any ideas or suggestions much welcomed, thanks in advance.

Bump... Plus...

my phone has just decided it doesnt see my sd card anymore, it just says, "preparing card checking for errors" and then says it can be removed safely.

the card (sandisk) is only 6 months old, hasnt been physically damaged and was working 4 hours ago.... any ideas?

Ok. I have a problem I need to open up to the floor, ive been battling for months trying to get my friends windows 8 laptop to run steam games, rome 2, dayz and wargames. others work. Ive been googling away my sanity and im hoping someone on here may have solved this. Thanks in advance.

Why on Earth are my picture attachments on my email all upside down or sideways?

They are the right way up in my files but when I attach them to an email they go crazy!

It's doing my head in. I even tried to rotate them so that they should be fine according too my email and they are still all over the place!

I knows it's cause I took them on my iPhone and they can go a bit weird, but surely rotating them once they are on your computer should sort them?

Any ideas???

Why on Earth are my picture attachments on my email all upside down or sideways?

They are the right way up in my files but when I attach them to an email they go crazy!

It's doing my head in. I even tried to rotate them so that they should be fine according too my email and they are still all over the place!

I knows it's cause I took them on my iPhone and they can go a bit weird, but surely rotating them once they are on your computer should sort them?

Any ideas???

You're not rotating the picture you are just rotating the view that you're looking at it. The original photo will be the same way up your computer is just displaying it in the rotated way you've set.

So when it's moved/attached it will move the original photo and not save your preference of which way round to view.

Ok lads I've got a problem. My computer was working normally, no problems, but from about two weeks ago, whenever I go to boot it up, it gets to the initial windows loading screen, then flashes up a blue screen up about a second before restarting. Can't seem to get past it. Anyone got any ideas?

Ok lads I've got a problem. My computer was working normally, no problems, but from about two weeks ago, whenever I go to boot it up, it gets to the initial windows loading screen, then flashes up a blue screen up about a second before restarting. Can't seem to get past it. Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like Windows has been corrupted and will need a 'First Repair' - what this means is that you put the installation disc in and do start up repair, which is one of the options, and it reinstalls all of the start up files ie. you won't lose any personal data.

This can commonly occur due to the machine not shutting down correctly; losing power suddenly and not going through the shut down process.

It can also indicate hard drive failure, so I would advise run hard drive diagnostics first before anything else. You can use a free program called Seatools - download this and burn it to a disc. Put the disc in your computer and turn it on. It should load the disc and follow the instructions to do a scan. I appreciate to do this you will need access to another computer as yours is not booting!

If the HDD is fine and a first repair is unsuccessful then it would require a backup, format and reload. This is reinstalling the entire machine.

You're not rotating the picture you are just rotating the view that you're looking at it. The original photo will be the same way up your computer is just displaying it in the rotated way you've set.

So when it's moved/attached it will move the original photo and not save your preference of which way round to view.

Managed to sort it by opening up the picture then rotating it, then when I moved onto the next picture it saved it.

Cheers mate

Don't know if this'll help but I had a similar problem. Opened my pc up and it was filthy inside, cleaned it out and the restart thing didn't happen again.

It could be many things as you've got the bsod, could be software or hardware.

• 1 month later...

I've just done an 'Update and Restart' on my pc running Windows 8.1.

For the last 90 minutes the message 'Keep your PC on until this is done. Installing update 14 of 19...'

The dotted circle is still spinning.

I'm not sure if this length of time is normal.

Any idea what would happen if I pressed the restart button at this stage?

Many thanks for any advice

EDIT: Sorted - closed eyes and pressed restart button. All OK :sweating:

Edited by Isle of Wight Fox

I've just done an 'Update and Restart' on my pc running Windows 8.1.

For the last 90 minutes the message 'Keep your PC on until this is done. Installing update 14 of 19...'

The dotted circle is still spinning.

I'm not sure if this length of time is normal.

Any idea what would happen if I pressed the restart button at this stage?

Many thanks for any advice

EDIT: Sorted - closed eyes and pressed restart button. All OK :sweating:

You are now officially qualified to work in an I.T department!!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My back button has decided to stop working on Chrome and it's doing my head in. 

I click the back button and it just stays on the page while loading very slowly. 

any ideas as to why and how I can fix it?

I have been on Google and tried a few things that they suggest, Pause AdBlock, get the CacheKiller extension, uninstall and install Chrome again. and it's still doing it!

Actually, when I pause AdBlock on Foxestalk I can use the back button, but nothing on other sites like Reddit. 

Help!

My back button has decided to stop working on Chrome and it's doing my head in. 

I click the back button and it just stays on the page while loading very slowly. 

any ideas as to why and how I can fix it?

I have been on Google and tried a few things that they suggest, Pause AdBlock, get the CacheKiller extension, uninstall and install Chrome again. and it's still doing it!

Actually, when I pause AdBlock on Foxestalk I can use the back button, but nothing on other sites like Reddit. 

Help!

Have you tried reinstalling the browser?

Turning off all plug ins / extensions?

Starting the browser in safe mode?

• 1 month later...

So I turned my laptop on this morning I seem to have a problem with my laptop, adware or malware or something?

Although I only seem to get the problem when using Firefox, on most if not all websites I seem be having adverts come up over the screen, notably this site, at the top of page and across the bottom. (When logged in).

I've ran Avast scan, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan and Ad-aware scan and they've found stuff and removed but I'm still get the ads come up when using Firefox.

I also did a system restore from a few days ago (when I didn't seem to have and problems).

I've used Google Chrome and don't seem to have any problems.

Any ideas what wrong/ways to fix it? (Other than stop using Firefox - I want this problem off my system).

You'd have installed it when you downloaded something else, go to tools, add-ons, and remove or disable it.

I disabled/removed something but don't think it was the problem and it's not solved it anyway.

I have also noticed words are being underlined and are links to other sites now aswell.

I downloaded and ran SuperAntiSpyware aswell now and it removed something like 67 threats but it hasn't solved the problem either.